Raja Hasan performs with Maestro A.R.Rahman

Raghuraj thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Here are  photos from the show Raja Hasan performing on the song Jai Ho and Khwaja Meren Khwaja  with Maestro A.R.Rahman

Edited by Raghuraj - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Raghuraj thumbnail
Video of A.R.Rahman performing on the song Khwaja Meren Khwaja with Raja Hasan.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGp9_GXjoQ[/YOUTUBE].
Raghuraj thumbnail

A short Video of Raja Hasan performing on the song Masskali:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV33kYHBV3E[/YOUTUBE].
Raghuraj thumbnail
Video of Jai Ho performance:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5opmGW-Z9JY[/YOUTUBE].
Raghuraj thumbnail
Here is a view direct from the concert:

A.R.RAHMAN LIVE IN CALICUT - The concert experience

May 5, 2009

The whole of Calicut was filled with hoardings of "JAI HO". It was the talk of the town. The media was both happy and sad. Happy that they could get everyone to read their news/articles featuring Rahman in depth. Sad that they were not allowed to shoot anything happening inside the stadium. By 5 P.M the stadium was almost full and people were waiting eagerly. A bunch of fanatics, including me, were in the stands singing out Rahman songs and gathering quite a bit of attention from the local crowd as well.

The show started with DJ Medley playing shano shano and sayonara warming up the crowd to chant a few Jai Hos. And in a minutes time the sitar would start playing mausam and escape. It was exciting as well as disappointing. The sound system to be specific was disappointing. It was like the sound system was designed for a local "Ganamela". But nevertheless, the show was on! The crowd was on their feet. I am sure the Appu Kuttan nairs of the crowd clad in their dhotis did not understand what was being played. But even they coming in to see Boss, speaks the volume of love and admiration that a billion people have for Rahman.

Before even the Mausam & escape ended, the track for O saya was on. And there he was – the man of the moment. No stylish entries, no fireworks in the background. Just walking into the stage singing O Saya. The noise in the stadium was deafening. O saya was lost amongst the cheers and screams. Rahman went on to sing Athiradi along with Sayonara. It was clear that he was getting warmed up and was concerned about the sound system. After the song, Rahman addressed the crowd. Again, not much could be heard. The next song was meant to excite the local public and it did. Padakali Chandi from the mallu movie Yodha. Not many would know that it is a Rahman score - Benny dayal and George Peter not only singing but enacting a bit of the song as well. The song indeed is a masterpiece by Rahman.

Sadna Sargam followed with Tu Muskura. The tempo of the song was just perfect. Soothing, I should say. And towards the middle she would switch to the beginning aalap of Roja Janeman. Enter hariharan, who took the stage to a higher level. Hariharan is one of the best on stage performers India has and he did not disappoint this time either. He would have sung the song a zillion times and each time it creates magic. Raja Hasan of the Sa Re Ga Ma Pa fame was next with Massakali. He did a decent job. Still the problems with the sound persisted. Rahman's Jiya se jiya rocked. It was a visual treat too. I would have had all the singers coming in at the end and giving him a Free Hug😊

Blaaze's Style got the crowd dancing and so did Liquid dance which was tracked. In fact most of the songs were tracked and sung like in a Karaoke. May be Rahman should conduct a full fledged instrumental concert. Javed ali, the new guy in the block sang Guzarish. But the best of the concert was around the corner. Chitra started with Netru illada matram and she couldn't have sounded more perfect. And as she moved on to Malargale along with Naveen's flute and Hariharan's voice - it felt like I am in heaven! Raashid Ali's with Kabhi Kabhi aditi was cool. Rahman continued with Rehna Tu. The chorus could hardly be heard in this song. The sound was that bad.

Neeti Mohan is born to be a star. The way she performed Taal se Taal and Ringa ringa was magical. The stadium was filled with drool by the time she ended the track. Kaala Bandhar, Gansta Blues and New were performed as a medley by Benny, Blaaze and Tanvi. Kaala Bandhar could have been performed better or dropped! And then the next medley with Rahman leading it, comprised of Azeem-O-Shaan, Rukmani Chorus and Veera Pandi Kottayile. Suzanne stunned the crowd with the range of her voice in dreams on fire./Latika's theme.

There are moments which you would cherish all your life. And one of them, for me, was the qawali performed by AR, Javed Ali and Raja Hasan. It was Khwaja mere and Ariziyan back to back. I really can't find words to describe how I felt at that moment.

Oru cheriya idavela – A short break! Not in the review, but in the show. It tested everyone's patience in the stadium. The charity would have had more meaning if they just did it without showing it off.

The sound got better after the break. Chitra resumed the concert with a Malayalam song, manasu manasinte, composed by R.K.Shekar(Rahman's father) and followed it up with Malayalam version of Kannalane! I really wish the language barrier in music goes away, at least in Rahman concerts, so that he does not have to perform specific songs for the local crowd, bending his original scores. Jiya Jale made a good visual with the lights and fires flying around. Sadna joined Hariharan for Aye hairetein Aashiqui with hariharan trying to make the crowd sing a bit of aalaps as well. The pair then sand Vaaji Vaaji

Kabuli entered the stage from a crane while playing his electric guitar. It was the build up for Mustafa Mustafa. And the crowd was looking stunning with everyone waving their mobile phones and singing along. Rahman ended it up with a bit of Dhakka Laga Bukha which I thought was quite unnecessary. It was dancing time for the crowd as Benny and co started Pappu can't dance saala and Suzanne followed with Aye Bachu. She was simply awesome. I never have loved the song so much as I did on that day. It felt like the climax was around the corner with tempo going up. Rahman's Urvasi and Benny/Blaaze's Taxi Taxi got the crowd going crazy. Hariharan entered the stage and did some alaap's making the crowd wonder what is up next. The way hariharan blended the alaap into the beginning of Humma Humma was terrific.

After the song, Rahman stopped before the next track. He made the crowd sing Ooo oo in various styles before he made them scream JAI HO. Jai ho it was and all the singers joined Rahman on stage with Tanvi leading the song along with AR. The crowd had their money worth. And Rahman ended it with Vandemataram. Again only a piece of it was played which was bemusing. But then Boss is always right!

Rahman is no more just a music composer. He is a wave that is sweeping across the world. And for the bunch of people whom I sat with, music is our religion and Rahman, the almighty. The concert had it's glitches – like the poor sounds, the lack of star singers. Not to take away anything from the newbies who did exceedingly well. But it would have been nice to listen to the likes of SPB & Shankar mahadevan. However, I have no complaints. I had a whale of a time. Watch out for the Jai Ho tour coming to your part of the world soon, if you want to experience the same.

*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Wow, thank you so much! Will watch these videos later. Raja's so lucky!
kuhu.kuhu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
thank u so much raghuraj for sharing the info and the videos ...whatever i watched seemed like an awesome concert ....

Raja is lucky to have performed with the maestro👏
Raghuraj thumbnail

Here is another video of Raja Hasan performing on the song Massakali,Javed Ali on Guzarish,A.R.Rahman,Raja Hasan,Javed Ali and Tanvi peforming on the song Jai ho and Sadhana Sargam on the song Tu Muskura at Jai Ho Calicut Concert.Raja Hasan has performed so confidently and its awesome to see.It is not easy to perform in front of 50000 strong audience and that too with Maestro A.R.Rahman watching you from backstage or performing with yourself.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIqqRrVn64[/YOUTUBE]
PiyaBawri thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Raghuraj

Here is another video of Raja Hasan performing on the song Massakali,Javed Ali on Guzarish,A.R.Rahman,Raja Hasan,Javed Ali and Tanvi peforming on the song Jai ho and Sadhana Sargam on the song Tu Muskura at Jai Ho Calicut Concert.Raja Hasan has performed so confidently and its awesome to see.It is not easy to perform in front of 50000 strong audience and that too with Maestro A.R.Rahman watching you from backstage or performing with yourself.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIqqRrVn64[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks again! :)
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Since this topic is related to ARR, I thought I'd share this here.

Times Magazine has given ARR position #59 of the Top 100 Most Influential figures! -- TB Article

Once again the limelight shines on the Mozart of Chennai. After being bestowed with two prestigious Oscars, one Golden globe, and BAFTA for his composition in Slumdog Millionaire, there is another feather in his cap as he has joined the list of Time Magazine's World's 100 most influential people. AR Rahman is ranked at #59. The prestigious list includes names from various fields of politics, business, sceince and entertainment, teen star Zac Effron, first lady of United States Michelle Obama, Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel to name a few.

On Tuesday night there was a celebration in honor of people in the list at the Time Warner Center. A R Rahman shared that the feeling was absolutely unbelievable. In the gala he shared a table with Oprah Winfrey who made AR Rahman promise he will show her around in India when she visits.

We are very proud of A R Rahman! Jai ho.