Primary Education....English or Native Language?

bloodline thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
Hi Folks....
This is actually my first post here in Debate Mansion so I dont know if this topic has been created before or not!
In India, we have wide range of languages. But when it comes to education, it is really confusing.

Confusing in a sense that Some people think, to be successful at international level, a child should be educated in English. So in future, he will not have to face any difficulty in English-dominated world

While other thinks that primary education should be given in native language. Because at home, most of the parents talk in native language and in school it will be English, so it would be difficult to be in two different environment for a small kid.

I have seen many parents confused regarding this topic. Because both of them have their own advantages and disadvantages.
So what is your take on it?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
nice topic bloodline , will get back later 😊
hmmm these non english ppl are part of the scrutiny process.
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
At present, I think that the education should be in English.

Native language should be encouraged whenever possible, but it should not be forced upon.
If one has to work in a positive way for the benefit of native languages then India should create prosperity in its own states. This in turn would mean that some people, who are educated only in native language, are able to find jobs in their states. That will automatically provide them the required motivation to get education in native language. This is in contrast with motivating people just for the sake of getting education in "their own" language and putting down English.

The point is to do something constructive and to not to do something that stagnates excellence.

After so many years of extra focus on native languages, countries like China and Indian states like Calcutta are realizing that native language as well as some other languages are equally important. However, I am not fully aware about the reality in these Indian states that focus extra on their native language and, hence, people from these states are in a better position to comment .
Edited by karandel_2008 - 15 years ago
bloodline thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
But wouldn't it be hard for a 4 or 5 year kid to live in two totally different environment....
I mean kid's family is going to speak native language at home and school will be totally english
so wouldn't be child confused??

I have seen many examples where kids are good in neither of the languages.....they are are always torn up between English and native language

just like a kid  born outside India who is trying to adapt both cultures and is torn between!
sameer.84 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
it varies nation-wise and language-wise.

ppl in arab world, italy, germany, etc. study in their language.

but hindi is a tough and un-easy language for education. and also we have inferior complexity. 

Originally posted by: sam_84

it varies nation-wise and language-wise.

ppl in arab world, italy, germany, etc. study in their language.

but hindi is a tough and un-easy language for education. and also we have inferior complexity. 

seruously such a bugging language somehow i managed 76 in the 10th boards 😆

my grammar was so bad i got 1 out of 10 in an essay 😳😳

anyway,

i feel that a majority of these languages are primitive (reading stuff from left to right, top to bottom, letters which look like symbols etc)

also convenience is a big thing in this world right? and what is more convenient than speaking english? 😆

on the other hand i've heard that knowing more languages improves ur iq.. thats true i guess as learning something so difficult will make u more intelligent...

but there are many ppl who know english and are intelligent enough
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bloodline

But wouldn't it be hard for a 4 or 5 year kid to live in two totally different environment....
I mean kid's family is going to speak native language at home and school will be totally english
so wouldn't be child confused??

I have seen many examples where kids are good in neither of the languages.....they are are always torn up between English and native language

just like a kid  born outside India who is trying to adapt both cultures and is torn between!

I think that we can take that in a positive way as well. Two different learning environments can be good for brain(Similar to what Babumoshaai said above).

Learning things from childhood is the best way and as an example most of the good sportsmen started playing in their childhood.
Edited by karandel_2008 - 15 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail

As per research there is no harm in children learning two languages at a young age as U suggest. Most children are R quite good at acquiring language skills at that age . There wud be individual differences as memory varies in individuals. A stress free environment should be encouraged rather than putting compulsions on the child.   Bilingual acquisition is facilitated if children have sustained, rich, and varied experiences in both languages . proficiency in both languages is more likely if children have sustained exposure in the home to the language that is used less extensively in the community; the language that is used more widely will get support outside the home .

nuomi.riceball thumbnail

well.. it is true though. for a person to be successful at this time one should be able to speak in english. it is one of the fundamental thing that one has to have if one wants to succeed in the international community. even though as bilinguals are no longer regarded as outstanding anymore.