Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Primary Education....English or Native Language?

bloodline Senior Member
bloodline
bloodline

Posted: 26 April 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
Hi Folks....
This is actually my first post here in Debate Mansion so I dont know if this topic has been created before or not!
In India, we have wide range of languages. But when it comes to education, it is really confusing.

Confusing in a sense that Some people think, to be successful at international level, a child should be educated in English. So in future, he will not have to face any difficulty in English-dominated world

While other thinks that primary education should be given in native language. Because at home, most of the parents talk in native language and in school it will be English, so it would be difficult to be in two different environment for a small kid.

I have seen many parents confused regarding this topic. Because both of them have their own advantages and disadvantages.
So what is your take on it?

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 27 April 2009 at 4:44am | IP Logged
nice topic bloodline , will get back later Smile
jettythegod IF-Rockerz

Posted: 27 April 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
karandel_2008 IF-Rockerz
karandel_2008
karandel_2008

Posted: 27 April 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged
At present, I think that the education should be in English.

Native language should be encouraged whenever possible, but it should not be forced upon.
If one has to work in a positive way for the benefit of native languages then India should create prosperity in its own states. This in turn would mean that some people, who are educated only in native language, are able to find jobs in their states. That will automatically provide them the required motivation to get education in native language. This is in contrast with motivating people just for the sake of getting education in "their own" language and putting down English.

The point is to do something constructive and to not to do something that stagnates excellence.

After so many years of extra focus on native languages, countries like China and Indian states like Calcutta are realizing that native language as well as some other languages are equally important. However, I am not fully aware about the reality in these Indian states that focus extra on their native language and, hence, people from these states are in a better position to comment .

Edited by karandel_2008 - 27 April 2009 at 4:01pm
bloodline Senior Member
bloodline
bloodline

Posted: 27 April 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged
But wouldn't it be hard for a 4 or 5 year kid to live in two totally different environment....
I mean kid's family is going to speak native language at home and school will be totally english
so wouldn't be child confused??

I have seen many examples where kids are good in neither of the languages.....they are are always torn up between English and native language

just like a kid  born outside India who is trying to adapt both cultures and is torn between!
sameer.84 IF-Sizzlerz
sameer.84
sameer.84

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 12:29am | IP Logged
it varies nation-wise and language-wise.

ppl in arab world, italy, germany, etc. study in their language.

but hindi is a tough and un-easy language for education. and also we have inferior complexity. 
jettythegod IF-Rockerz

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 2:05am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
karandel_2008 IF-Rockerz
karandel_2008
karandel_2008

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 4:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bloodline

But wouldn't it be hard for a 4 or 5 year kid to live in two totally different environment....
I mean kid's family is going to speak native language at home and school will be totally english
so wouldn't be child confused??

I have seen many examples where kids are good in neither of the languages.....they are are always torn up between English and native language

just like a kid  born outside India who is trying to adapt both cultures and is torn between!

I think that we can take that in a positive way as well. Two different learning environments can be good for brain(Similar to what Babumoshaai said above).

Learning things from childhood is the best way and as an example most of the good sportsmen started playing in their childhood.

Edited by karandel_2008 - 28 April 2009 at 4:15am

Go to top