Book Talk

Words that should be banned from books?!

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Hello my lovely Readers! πŸ€—

Time for some fun discussion! (But of course, readers who love reading books will find any discussion related to books enjoyable! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜›)

So, is there a word that's overused in some books and is now old and stale?

A word that really annoys you whenever you come across it?

A word that you think should be banned from ALL books?!

In general, let's talk about overused and old words in books.... Let's put down all the words that are annoying if still used in books.

-Mahi
Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

phenomenalgal thumbnail
Wow...this is hard. I don't think I've ever despised a woed that much. What did you have in mind when you started the thread?
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: phenomenalgal

Wow...this is hard. I don't think I've ever despised a woed that much. What did you have in mind when you started the thread?

I didn't have any particular word in mind, but I remember I was talking to my friends once and we talked about overused words that we thought shouldn't be used again and again. 

It's not like you hate the word, it's just that that word is so overused by one particular author or more.. But I'll come with some words when I remember them.

-Mahi
muffins2waffles thumbnail
Whenever I think of chagrin, Twilight comes to mind. :( But nothing particularly against that word!
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: MusicalAiswarya

Whenever I think of chagrin, Twilight comes to mind. :( But nothing particularly against that word!

That's exactly what I was going to say! :P I can never look at that word the same way again :P
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Urgh, I can never think of the word "sparkly" or "glittery" without thinking of Edward!πŸ€ͺ🀒 So I'd be very very happy if books don't use that word anymore!

And also, I think "major swear words" that are insulting should be left out too. The small ones, which don't mean much, are okay, but the B-word, the F-word, etc, should be left out, because society learns from books, and we have enough people swearing around us as it is. We don't need that to increase.

Nice topic by the way Mahi!
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Urgh, I can never think of the word "sparkly" or "glittery" without thinking of Edward!πŸ€ͺ🀒 So I'd be very very happy if books don't use that word anymore!

And also, I think "major swear words" that are insulting should be left out too. The small ones, which don't mean much, are okay, but the B-word, the F-word, etc, should be left out, because society learns from books, and we have enough people swearing around us as it is. We don't need that to increase.

Nice topic by the way Mahi!

You forgot DAZZLING for Edward...πŸ˜†and I agree:)
ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
I personally don't think specific words should be banned from books. Sometimes words that are profane are necessary in a situation (For instance, if you are writing about  a dysfunctional family in contemporary times, you wouldn't really be using polite words.) and when that is executed tastefully, there's nothing really wrong with it. However, that doesn't mean every other word should be profane.

The word that annoys me: dazzle/dazzled/dazzling or any other variation thereof. In a short amount of time, I've grown to dislike the words so much that I will put the book down if the book has the aforementioned word in it.
Edited by ShadowKisses - 15 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: ShadowKisses

I personally don't think specific words should be banned from books. Sometimes words that are profane are necessary in a situation (For instance, if you are writing about  a dysfunctional family in contemporary times, you wouldn't really be using polite words.) and when that is executed tastefully, there's nothing really wrong with it. However, that doesn't mean every other word should be profane.

The word that annoys me: dazzle/dazzled/dazzling or any other variation thereof. In a short amount of time, I've grown to dislike the words so much that I will put the book down if the book has the aforementioned word in it.

Of course, books about dysfunctional families, gang violence, etc could use profane words to get the meaning across, but I meant I don't believe in profance words being used in all kinds of books, even normal ones. I've seen lots of books about normal High School life where people use swear words as if they were normal. That just irks me beyond anything.
phenomenalgal thumbnail
Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Of course, books about dysfunctional families, gang violence, etc could use profane words to get the meaning across, but I meant I don't believe in profance words being used in all kinds of books, even normal ones. I've seen lots of books about normal High School life where people use swear words as if they were normal. That just irks me beyond anything.

No offence...don't take this the wrong way but you know that's true, right? I live in Canada and, while it's annoying, people use swear words too often and it's a bit TOO real in some books...you know?
I, myself, don't appreciate the words but you know that it's more real if they DO use them...
There are a lot of books that don't and they're ususally the "happy-go-lucky" type that I personally love...haha.
There are also books like "Go Ask Alice" that would be incomplete without the profanity...
So, I guess I do agree with you...I think we need to understand the message behind why the words are used.
Take care! 😊