Book Talk

Words that should be banned from books?!

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged
Hello my lovely Readers! Hug

Time for some fun discussion! (But of course, readers who love reading books will find any discussion related to books enjoyable! WinkTongue)

So, is there a word that's overused in some books and is now old and stale?

A word that really annoys you whenever you come across it?

A word that you think should be banned from ALL books?!

In general, let's talk about overused and old words in books.... Let's put down all the words that are annoying if still used in books.

-Mahi

Edited by -Mystery- - 14 April 2009 at 1:40pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Words that should be banned from books?!" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

phenomenalgal

Groupbie

phenomenalgal

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
Wow...this is hard. I don't think I've ever despised a woed that much. What did you have in mind when you started the thread?

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 16 April 2009 at 6:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by phenomenalgal

Wow...this is hard. I don't think I've ever despised a woed that much. What did you have in mind when you started the thread?

I didn't have any particular word in mind, but I remember I was talking to my friends once and we talked about overused words that we thought shouldn't be used again and again. 

It's not like you hate the word, it's just that that word is so overused by one particular author or more.. But I'll come with some words when I remember them.

-Mahi

cityoflights

IF-Veteran Member

cityoflights

Posted: 16 April 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged
Whenever I think of chagrin, Twilight comes to mind. :( But nothing particularly against that word!

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 17 April 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by MusicalAiswarya

Whenever I think of chagrin, Twilight comes to mind. :( But nothing particularly against that word!

That's exactly what I was going to say! :P I can never look at that word the same way again :P

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 17 April 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged

Urgh, I can never think of the word "sparkly" or "glittery" without thinking of Edward!SillyDead So I'd be very very happy if books don't use that word anymore!

And also, I think "major swear words" that are insulting should be left out too. The small ones, which don't mean much, are okay, but the B-word, the F-word, etc, should be left out, because society learns from books, and we have enough people swearing around us as it is. We don't need that to increase.

Nice topic by the way Mahi!

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 17 April 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

Urgh, I can never think of the word "sparkly" or "glittery" without thinking of Edward!SillyDead So I'd be very very happy if books don't use that word anymore!

And also, I think "major swear words" that are insulting should be left out too. The small ones, which don't mean much, are okay, but the B-word, the F-word, etc, should be left out, because society learns from books, and we have enough people swearing around us as it is. We don't need that to increase.

Nice topic by the way Mahi!

You forgot DAZZLING for Edward...LOLand I agree:)

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 17 April 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged
I personally don't think specific words should be banned from books. Sometimes words that are profane are necessary in a situation (For instance, if you are writing about  a dysfunctional family in contemporary times, you wouldn't really be using polite words.) and when that is executed tastefully, there's nothing really wrong with it. However, that doesn't mean every other word should be profane.

The word that annoys me: dazzle/dazzled/dazzling or any other variation thereof. In a short amount of time, I've grown to dislike the words so much that I will put the book down if the book has the aforementioned word in it.

Edited by ShadowKisses - 17 April 2009 at 9:04pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ProdigalStudentBeyond_the_Veil

Post Reply New Post

Go to top