What defines being an Indian?

azman007 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Folks,
I wanted to ask this question about what it means being an Indian? To be a patriotic Indian, what is required of you? I am not asking for a text book definition, but a cultural definition.

Here's a starter:
1) Owe allegiance to Mother India
2) Respect cultural symbols of India
3) Respect the constitution, although imperfect
4) Be proud of India's diversity of religion, language, culture, dialects, people, food etc
5) ...
6) ...

I will try to compile all your responses and "hopefully" share with you all.

Thanks.

AZ

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Nice topic! Here is my list.

1. Like you said, show your support to India. Respect our Matrubhoomi (Mother Earth) and do not take part in violence which will make our mother (India) ashamed of us.

2. Be accepting of all the religions existing in India. Do not degrade other religions, and respect the religious sentiments of everyone, whether or not you believe in them is another question, but to give other religions the respect they deserve is important. This way, religious violence would decrease a lot, and people of other religions will love each other more.

3. Respect the environment of India by not littering and thinking of ways to make it a cleaner more beautiful place. Help the community make India a safer healthier place, so that the citizens are healthier, and live a happier life.

4. While enjoying "modern conveniences", do not forget the rich beautiful culture of India. India has one of the most exotic beautiful cultures in the world which even foreigners acknowledge, so forgetting in the name of modernity is a shame.

5. Celebrate Indian holidays; take an active part in community activities. Show your support for the nation and its people.

Jai Hind!
Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

hmm

the first one that comes to my mind is ->

"stay in india"😆

in a general sense, i think placing country 's interests over personal interests would describe an ideal patriot.

however talking about cultural aspects -

i think the points are pretty obvious aren't they ? conservation of monuments , respect for all cultures, not getting blown away by other cultures blindly, etc

Edited by clodpolish - 15 years ago
seetumail thumbnail
it is really a nice thought that really needs attention from people all over the country.
But just Respecting the symbols doesnt count. one should have the feeling of being an Indian from within. If each one do our personal bit of work that is required then it will not require a real movement or a rally to make our country the best
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
very simple. Thinking of oneself as an Indian first rather than as a Punjabi, tamilian, maharashtrian , Bengali etc
India defines Indians right?

sorry for the vague answer, interesting topic would get back to you!

Xoxo
muffins2waffles thumbnail
India - Must respect the country itself and be proud of who they are.

Never forget your heritage - People must not become so modernized like they are and develop so many American styles. (The wrong kinds).

Duty - Indians have a duty, and they must never forget it. They should respect their beliefs and follow their parents.

In God We Trust - Remember your faith. I'm including this because Indians weren't atheists from the beginning. Please don't take offense.

Always pay respect - Pay respect to your elders and those around you who seek for your good. And like you said, respect the language, constitution, cultural symbols, etc...

Nation is Important - Participate in religious and cultural festivals, take care of the country, be a good citizen, etc...

Originally posted by: angie.4u

very simple. Thinking of oneself as an Indian first rather than as a Punjabi, tamilian, maharashtrian , Bengali etc

exactly my thoughts
u know y people invaded our country and ruled us for so long, bcoz we are obsessed with my region, language, city, development, culture etc. before our country. everything is MY
its only when we are attacked from outside we want others to help us protect us and dont even thank them.  that time we dont think they are different they are lesser and all that.

Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

exactly my thoughts

u know y people invaded our country and ruled us for so long, bcoz we are obsessed with myregion, language, city, development, culture etc. before our country. everything is MY
its only when we are attacked from outside we want others to help us protect us and dont even thank them.
are you hinting at something ?🤔
that time we dont think they are different they are lesser and all that.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
My idea of  Indianness is that you eat rice, your house smells like curry and you talk funny.