Page 1 of 8

Page 1
Page   of 8
Page 2 Page 8

azman007

azman007

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged

Folks,
I wanted to ask this question about what it means being an Indian? To be a patriotic Indian, what is required of you? I am not asking for a text book definition, but a cultural definition.

Here's a starter:
1) Owe allegiance to Mother India
2) Respect cultural symbols of India
3) Respect the constitution, although imperfect
4) Be proud of India's diversity of religion, language, culture, dialects, people, food etc
5) ...
6) ...

I will try to compile all your responses and "hopefully" share with you all.

Thanks.

AZ

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What defines being an Indian?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged
Nice topic! Here is my list.

1. Like you said, show your support to India. Respect our Matrubhoomi (Mother Earth) and do not take part in violence which will make our mother (India) ashamed of us.

2. Be accepting of all the religions existing in India. Do not degrade other religions, and respect the religious sentiments of everyone, whether or not you believe in them is another question, but to give other religions the respect they deserve is important. This way, religious violence would decrease a lot, and people of other religions will love each other more.

3. Respect the environment of India by not littering and thinking of ways to make it a cleaner more beautiful place. Help the community make India a safer healthier place, so that the citizens are healthier, and live a happier life.

4. While enjoying "modern conveniences", do not forget the rich beautiful culture of India. India has one of the most exotic beautiful cultures in the world which even foreigners acknowledge, so forgetting in the name of modernity is a shame.

5. Celebrate Indian holidays; take an active part in community activities. Show your support for the nation and its people.

Jai Hind!

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 9:30pm | IP Logged

hmm

the first one that comes to my mind is ->

"stay in india"LOL

in a general sense, i think placing country 's interests over personal interests would describe an ideal patriot.

however talking about cultural aspects -

i think the points are pretty obvious aren't they ? conservation of monuments , respect for all cultures, not getting blown away by other cultures blindly, etc

Edited by clodpolish - 13 April 2009 at 9:34pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfMeena1

seetumail

seetumail

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged
it is really a nice thought that really needs attention from people all over the country.
But just Respecting the symbols doesnt count. one should have the feeling of being an Indian from within. If each one do our personal bit of work that is required then it will not require a real movement or a rally to make our country the best

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 2:17am | IP Logged
very simple. Thinking of oneself as an Indian first rather than as a Punjabi, tamilian, maharashtrian , Bengali etc

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Eventidehindu4lyfMeena1

the_Naked_face

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

cityoflights

IF-Veteran Member

cityoflights

IPKKND 3rd Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged
India - Must respect the country itself and be proud of who they are.

Never forget your heritage - People must not become so modernized like they are and develop so many American styles. (The wrong kinds).

Duty - Indians have a duty, and they must never forget it. They should respect their beliefs and follow their parents.

In God We Trust - Remember your faith. I'm including this because Indians weren't atheists from the beginning. Please don't take offense.

Always pay respect - Pay respect to your elders and those around you who seek for your good. And like you said, respect the language, constitution, cultural symbols, etc...

Nation is Important - Participate in religious and cultural festivals, take care of the country, be a good citizen, etc...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 10:29pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top