Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
fairness is not just obsessed by indians. almost every asians are obsessed with fairness.
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
But nowdays i dont think everyone is obsessed with fair skin. Today person's beauty lies in his/her personality,intelligence and they way he/she carry himself in front of other. Overall personality matters a lot.
nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sonur15

But nowdays i dont think everyone is obsessed with fair skin. Today person's beauty lies in his/her personality,intelligence and they way he/she carry himself in front of other. Overall personality matters a lot.

yeah not everyone is obsessed with fair skin, the Caucisian like to tan themselves.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I won't say obsessed, I'd say people in India prefer fair skin tone. I don't think there's anything wrong in that. If everything is equal except for the skin tone between two people and one has to choose between the two of them and the person chooses the one with the fair skin, what is wrong in that. We all have our preferences, so what's so wrong if people prefer fair over dark.

People also have preference regarding shape, size, weight when it comes to looks (not just of a person but of anything). So, is that wrong too?? Why does girls wear makeup?? Why are we particular about our attire?? If preferring fair over dark is wrong then all this should be wrong too. In that case the whole concept of beauty is also wrong.

If defining something as more beautiful is wrong then we are doing something wrong in every step of our life, cos everyday we choose something as more beautiful over the other, whether it's in our home or at work, we are constantly deciding which is better looking (other than decisions that are purely based on finance).

It's only wrong if the person's whole judgement is based on the skin tone. Like if there are two candidates for a job and even though the dark guy is more qualified in every aspect the employer chooses the fair guy, then it's wrong. Other than that, whether the employer personally prefers to marry a fair girl or wants his daughter to be fair, is entirely his personal choice, who are we to dictate what he should prefer.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Preference is but natural. We all have our personal preferences on appearances. Every person has their own definition of beauty. No two people will be attracted to or find the same person/thing beautiful.

The problem arises when personal preference becomes a cause for judgmental and prejudicial treatment. A preference for fair skin should not mean that dark skinned people feel inferior or that there is something flawed with them. There definitely is something wrong when someone is made to feel uncomfortable in their own skin.

This perhaps is an exceptional situation, but it does occur. One of my classmates in school was really dark. Her mother would constantly make comments that she is so dark that it will be difficult to get her married, she has to do extra well in housework and school to impress suitors. She would complain that she does not apply fairness cream regularly.

Many peoples preference for fairness has grown into a superficial preference. People with dark skin are being marketed the message that they ought to make their skin lighter. If you make your skin fairer, you will be more beautiful, The attitude should be if you are fair, you are fair, if you are dark you are dark.

Similarly make up and clothing are meant to accentuate your natural features. Excessive make up to doll up and change facial features or clothing that portrays a personality or style that is not you, takes you away from being yourself.

However, I agree ultimately it is a matter of free will. People should be able to date/marry/socialize based on their preferences not what someone else thinks they ought to. People are completely equipped to make their own personal decision in that regards. My basic point is they cross the line when they create a whole culture where skin tone is not a matter of personal preference, but a matter of superior beauty.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: angie.4u

guess its b coz idea of beauty for some ppl is limited to fair skin ! What a pity ,they miss out on beauty of character , personality & also many aspects of physical beauty.

Well said!👏 It's so sad how some peopel view beauty as the outer features of a person. Beauty of personality and character are more important.
souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Preference is but natural. We all have our personal preferences on appearances. Every person has their own definition of beauty. No two people will be attracted to or find the same person/thing beautiful.

Exactly, everyone has their own prefernce. Then why all the complaints about people preferring fair over dark.

The problem arises when personal preference becomes a cause for judgmental and prejudicial treatment. A preference for fair skin should not mean that dark skinned people feel inferior or that there is something flawed with them. There definitely is something wrong when someone is made to feel uncomfortable in their own skin.

Who is making them feel inferior?? It's not like anyone is giving them less privileges or rights because of their colour, so it's not an apartheid system. It is they who're making themselves feel inferior by costantly cribbing about why people prefer fair. Why can't they just accept it as a fact that it's other people's business what they want to prefer??

This perhaps is an exceptional situation, but it does occur. One of my classmates in school was really dark. Her mother would constantly make comments that she is so dark that it will be difficult to get her married, she has to do extra well in housework and school to impress suitors. She would complain that she does not apply fairness cream regularly.

Yeah, that is wrong to remind her daughter all the time about her colour. However, if she wants her daughter to apply fairness cream then she's just being practical and not trying to put down her daughter.

Many peoples preference for fairness has grown into a superficial preference. People with dark skin are being marketed the message that they ought to make their skin lighter. If you make your skin fairer, you will be more beautiful, The attitude should be if you are fair, you are fair, if you are dark you are dark.

That's a personal perspective. Most people feel that fairer people look more beautiful compared to darker people. The markting people are just conveying that message. The ad agency doesn't have anything personal against darker skin tone and maybe many of those guys and gals are dark themselves. It's just that the research shows that people feel fairer skin tone makes one more beautiful and that is what the ad will reflect. They don't do anything that contradicts the research.

Similarly make up and clothing are meant to accentuate your natural features. Excessive make up to doll up and change facial features or clothing that portrays a personality or style that is not you, takes you away from being yourself.

View fairness as just that then. It makes your features more prominent (except for the eyes maybe). So, if someone wants to be fair, s/he is just trying to accentuate his/her natural features.

However, I agree ultimately it is a matter of free will. People should be able to date/marry/socialize based on their preferences not what someone else thinks they ought to. People are completely equipped to make their own personal decision in that regards.

That's my whole point... so obviously I'll agree with this part. 😛

My basic point is they cross the line when they create a whole culture where skin tone is not a matter of personal preference, but a matter of superior beauty.

Who created it?? The literatures and currently the movies. Even they are the personal opinions that are getting expressed and somtimes it is about what the public will like more. If I think that fair people are more beautiful what is wrong in that. And if a majority of the people thinks like me and that becomes a culture in your opinion, even then what is wrong in it. After everything is said and done, it still remains a personal choice.
Do we ask the same questions if someone or a group of people or a whole nation sees dark skin as superior beauty??

Originally posted by: souro

I won't say obsessed, I'd say people in India prefer fair skin tone. I don't think there's anything wrong in that. If everything is equal except for the skin tone between two people and one has to choose between the two of them and the person chooses the one with the fair skin, what is wrong in that. We all have our preferences, so what's so wrong if people prefer fair over dark.

so thats a wrong thing. y should u prefer according to skin tone? people should always be judged by their qualities.not skin tone. 
People also have preference regarding shape, size, weight when it comes to looks (not just of a person but of anything). So, is that wrong too?? Why does girls wear makeup?? Why are we particular about our attire?? If preferring fair over dark is wrong then all this should be wrong too. In that case the whole concept of beauty is also wrong.
y is it considered that only fair skin is beautiful? who has set this rule? i dont think fair is beautiful. if that would have been the case then all the europenans would be the most beautiful and not indians.
If defining something as more beautiful is wrong then we are doing something wrong in every step of our life, cos everyday we choose something as more beautiful over the other, whether it's in our home or at work, we are constantly deciding which is better looking (other than decisions that are purely based on finance).

i find bipasha more beautiful than amisha. its not about chooseing one over the other. its about setting the ground rule that only fair is beautiful. 
It's only wrong if the person's whole judgement is based on the skin tone. Like if there are two candidates for a job and even though the dark guy is more qualified in every aspect the employer chooses the fair guy, then it's wrong. Other than that, whether the employer personally prefers to marry a fair girl or wants his daughter to be fair, is entirely his personal choice, who are we to dictate what he should prefer.

y? if giving a job is based on qualifications then marrying should also be based on that only and not merely skin tone. i find so many guys refusing girl who have good features, educated, modern everything to girls who are just fair not even beautiful.

Originally posted by: souro

Who is making them feel inferior?? It's not like anyone is giving them less privileges or rights because of their colour, so it's not an apartheid system. It is they who're making themselves feel inferior by costantly cribbing about why people prefer fair. Why can't they just accept it as a fact that it's other people's business what they want to prefer??

y wont they feel inferior if they have to settle for less than something they deserve just bcoz they are not fair? wht if an educated girls gets married to a guy who is less educated than her and a fari girl gets married to a guy who is much moreeeee educated to her?

View fairness as just that then. It makes your features more prominent (except for the eyes maybe). So, if someone wants to be fair, s/he is just trying to accentuate his/her natural features.
fairness make u look fat.

Who created it?? The literatures and currently the movies.
if u talk abt the new genertion then u will find all the new actors are exceptionally fair and the actresses are quiet dusky so that is a change but in real life if u see the mentality hasnt changed till now

Even they are the personal opinions that are getting expressed and somtimes it is about what the p
ublic will like more. If I think that fair people are more beautiful what is wrong in that. And if a majority of the people thinks like me and that becomes a culture in your opinion, even then what is wrong in it. After everything is said and done, it still remains a personal choice.
Do we ask the same questions if someone or a group of people or a whole nation sees dark skin as superior beauty??

that what y do we confine ourselves to definig beauty?if u r talking abt personal choice then there is nothing wrong in racism and nothing wrong in casetism also its there personal choice.. that is also a personal choice. even girls prefering rich guys is also not wrong

souro thumbnail
Edited by souro - 15 years ago