Why are indians obsessed with Fairness?

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 15 years ago

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/video/video.aspx?id=39887

First you have to watch the video. This is really a awesome debate. It presents both sides.

Why are indians obsessed with fairness?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dont know personally i prefer personality and features to skin colour. if u see the trend in bollywood, now most actors are horribly fair and actresses are quiet dusky. still in normal life i do see most people obsessed abt fair girls which i find very obnoxious. i personally avoi such people.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
guess its b coz idea of beauty for some ppl is limited to fair skin ! What a pity ,they miss out on beauty of character , personality & also many aspects of physical beauty.
Originally posted by: angie.4u

guess its b coz idea of beauty for some ppl is limited to fair skin ! What a pity ,they miss out on beauty of character , personality & also many aspects of physical beauty.

i think features should be good. like y are indian women considered beautyful, bcoz they have very sharp features. so i consider a girl who is fair but not good features as not beautiful.
Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

sorry i can't watch the video right now !

nevertheless,

i'd like to look at the arguments out here........cos i also dunno anything about it , and it does make me wonder why ! indeed it just reminded me of how many songs we have on "gori face waali ladkiyan"

Edited by clodpolish - 15 years ago
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: clodpolish

sorry i can't watch the video right now !

nevertheless,

i'd like to look at the arguments out here........cos i also dunno anything about it , and it does make me wonder why ! indeed it just reminded me of how many songs we have on "gori face waali ladkiyan"

achcha what about songs on gore ladke ...like yeh gore gore se chore🤣
Mindbender thumbnail
Originally posted by: sonur15

achchawhat about songs on gore ladke ...like yeh gore gore se chore🤣

😆ya , thats the effect of fair and handsome cream....previously it was only fair and lovely......but now maa de ladle bigad gaye hain😆

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

I always felt for ages people have looked at fair skinned people as delicate roses, or from good rich houses, while the automatic assumption for dark skinned people is they might be from poor houses or had a rough upbringing, maybe worked out in the fields and the sun made them dark.

In the video they talk about how these days if a fair person and darker person are equally attractive, one would want to take the dark girl to the nearest hotel while he would take the fair girl to meet his mom. Fair girls are always considered innocent, and sweet while the darker ones are erotic and sexy. Which I thought is true, people do think that way. They mention Bips in the video. I mean really the scenes Bips does she is considered sexy, not at all sweet or angelic. Katrina Kaif can do the exact same scenes yet she will be considered sweet and angelic. ( I love Kat so no offense to anyone)

I don't find anything wrong with wanting to be fair, but discriminating against dark people is very wrong. My dad's side of the family are very fair, and they have always picked on my mother for her dark skin even though she is a beautiful woman masahallah, with good features.

Also they end up blaming the ad agencies "fair and lovely" and "fair and handsome" for these. Advertisements are only a reflection of our desires, so I don't see a point in blaming them.
Mindbender thumbnail
Originally posted by: Perfangel5655

I always felt for agespeople have looked at fair skinned people as delicate roses, or from good rich houses, while the automatic assumption for dark skinned people is they might be from poor houses or had a rough upbringing, maybe worked out in the fields and the sun made them dark.
i think that perception is changing, or rather has changed for the good , at least in the kind of environment i live in😊
In the video they talk about how these days if a fair person and darker person are equally attractive, one would want to take the dark girl to the nearest hotel while he would take the fair girl to meet his mom. Fair girls are always considered innocent, and sweetwhile the darker ones are erotic and sexy. Which I thought is true, people do think that way. They mention Bips in the video. I mean really the scenes Bips does she is considered sexy, not at all sweet or angelic. Katrina Kaif can do the exact same scenes yet she will be considered sweet and angelic. ( I love Kat so no offense to anyone)
hmm....... well i'll give my personal opinion, i didn't find katrina sweet and angelic in "zara zara touch me touch me........."😆
I don't find anything wrong with wanting to be fair, but discriminating against dark people is very wrong. My dad's side of the family are very fair, and they have always picked on my mother for her dark skin even though she is a beautiful woman masahallah, with good features.
hmm ya discriminating against dark is ofcourse ridiculous. There's nothing wrong in wanting to be fair, its a personal choice, but talking about reasons for being fair.....well they are generally or rather i think always wrong
Also they end up blaming the ad agencies "fair and lovely" and "fair and handsome" for these. Advertisements are only a reflection of our desires, so I don't see a point in blaming them.

yup, but ads do effect or rather just hypes it more. We provide the spark, ads lit up the fire according to me, so they have a part to be blamed, but the main fault ofcourse lies with we, the people

Btw - thanks for sharing views of the video😊

Why do western people Ie goris are obsessed with being tan? and Desi's obsessed with being white? why not swap over?

Skin colour has got nothing to do with beauty, its their feature that makes them stand out and attractive. Their are many dusky looking actresses in bollywood that are gorgeous for example Bips, Deepika, Priyanka and are successful. Many fair skinned actresses that are good for nothing but lookin pale and white in-front of the screen are super doper flop such as Kanga rout and Aysha taxia etc.

Attractiveness has got nothing to with skin colour, Bottom line attractiveness is defined by one's feature.

Edit for pictures:

#

Who looks more attractive in that picture? the fair skin or the darker skin eh?

Xoxo

Edited by Rage-Of-Angels - 15 years ago