What is wrong not learning Hindi? - Page 8

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

But why would a certain regional language cease to exist just because you can speak another language?
My mum was born and brought up in Maharashtra and she can speak our community language, marathi, hindi, sanskrit and english all fluently! Yet if I ask her which she prefers to speak, she will say Hindi because that's the language she speaks in with ALL of her indian friends-they are all gujju/punjabi/marathi and that's like a common language for them all to speak in. Obviously it differs from person to person but it's easier for them to communicate in Hindi together. Nevertheless she does have a south indian friend who can understand kacha hindi but doesn't really speak it too well, but no-one here is losing their identity. With family they will speak gujju/punjabi etc, with colleagues in english, while doing pooja in sanskrit lol etc.

well... if hindi is to be made the national language that everybody has to study it, then people will start using it and will cease to use the other indian languages, or if they do not cease to use the other indian languages it will reduce them from using the other indian languages considerably. this is because they do not see the significance of learning multiple languages as not many people can use it, and it is enough to study hindi and they can communicate with everybody within india. therefore, even though it will not be instantaneously other languages will be ceased to be spoken in india or considerably reduced. if this is to continue, then the fluency of speaking the other languages in india will also be greatly reduced. there are perhaps some exception with the people who like to study and be able to speak different languages, but come there are even more people who do not like to study and do not see the need to study these languages such as punjabi, gujju, tamil just because they are not compulsory and with limited regional range of conversation.

by this we can take the example of china. china is a very big country with different kinds of dialects. the only reasons in india why these other official languages other than hindi are considered languages is because of the protests and complains, movements against hindi being the national language of india, therefore, the other languages are considered to be official languages depending on which governments and states you can from. this however is not the case in china. in china there is only one official language that is the chinese. dialects are still spoken in china, but its usage is not as significant as say 60 years back. schools everywhere in china teach the mandarin and forbid their pupils to speak their dialects, the government encourages the people to speak mandarin rather than their own dialects. i have a chinese friend who told me that even though they can speak their dialects, they still to prefer speak chinese with their friends and relatives. they only speak their dialects with their parents and that too mix with chinese as they are not fluent with their dialects. even their parents do not dialects to speak with friends or in public, they only use it with their relatives, it was at the time of their grandparents where their grandparents still use dialects openly, at home or at public. from this we can see that the usage of dialects were increasing as the generations go and if this continue, the possibility of these dialects to cease to exist is there and really big. therefore, that is why i said that they want to preserve their own language so that it would not cease to exist and continue to be spoken by the next generation. and i do really think that it would be a shame if indian languages have to cease be spoken just because people prefer hindi due to being spoken by the majority of the indian population.
@hindu4lyf: why do you think that every indian has to learn hindi?
Edited by rongna - 14 years ago
Wouldn't that depend on person to person? I have to learn English as i'm in UK but doesn't mean i prefer to speak the language does it? (although i do but that's another matter lol)
I think what your talking about is different. Ig I live in Bengal where Bengali is obviously my state language where Hindi too should be learnt then wouldn't I rather communicate with my Bengali friends in Bengali rather than Hindi? :S Most Bengali Indians I know can speak both fluently but they prefer speaking their mother tongue. But learning Hindi actually makes you communicate with all Indians (in hindsight) as if I go to North India and i'm marathi then how would we communicate? Hindi is what joins the two together. People will argue english can be used but an average Indian doesn't know even half the english language. Majority of Mumbaikars I know e.g. relatives actually do speak fluent english but an average Indian wouldn't.

Out of everyone in this topic, I should probably be the most anti-hindi cos our communal language is actually becoming rare in India but I feel a sense of community if everyone could speak Hindi.
My basic point being it gets rid of all language barriers so no Indian will hesitate while speaking to another Indian cos they're speaking another language.
Even though Hindi is taught in Maharashtra for all these years, that hasn't stopped the useage of Marathi has it? :S So why would it stop others from speaking their local language?
In china there is only one official language yep but one of my closest friends is chinese and her parents were brought up in a region in china where cantonese is widely used. End result: my friend can just about understand mandarin, can't speak a word of it but can understand cantonese fluently. Like I said, the issue about languages ceasing to exist depends on individuals and their preferences.
I did say I don't think they should be forced to learn the language but it should just be part of the ciriculum like any other language. Now shall british students go on strike to say that why is french compulsory in all schools just because a wide variety of people speak it? We learn an extra language for a reason and Hindi will only help communication between all Indians.
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Wouldn't that depend on person to person? I have to learn English as i'm in UK but doesn't mean i prefer to speak the language does it? (although i do but that's another matter lol)
I think what your talking about is different. Ig I live in Bengal where Bengali is obviously my state language where Hindi too should be learnt then wouldn't I rather communicate with my Bengali friends in Bengali rather than Hindi? :S Most Bengali Indians I know can speak both fluently but they prefer speaking their mother tongue. But learning Hindi actually makes you communicate with all Indians (in hindsight) as if I go to North India and i'm marathi then how would we communicate? Hindi is what joins the two together. People will argue english can be used but an average Indian doesn't know even half the english language. Majority of Mumbaikars I know e.g. relatives actually do speak fluent english but an average Indian wouldn't.

Out of everyone in this topic, I should probably be the most anti-hindi cos our communal language is actually becoming rare in India but I feel a sense of community if everyone could speak Hindi.
My basic point being it gets rid of all language barriers so no Indian will hesitate while speaking to another Indian cos they're speaking another language.
Even though Hindi is taught in Maharashtra for all these years, that hasn't stopped the useage of Marathi has it? :S So why would it stop others from speaking their local language?
In china there is only one official language yep but one of my closest friends is chinese and her parents were brought up in a region in china where cantonese is widely used. End result: my friend can just about understand mandarin, can't speak a word of it but can understand cantonese fluently. Like I said, the issue about languages ceasing to exist depends on individuals and their preferences.
I did say I don't think they should be forced to learn the language but it should just be part of the ciriculum like any other language. Now shall british students go on strike to say that why is french compulsory in all schools just because a wide variety of people speak it? We learn an extra language for a reason and Hindi will only help communication between all Indians.

well since you said you are from the uk and your friend who is chinese were brought up in region in china where cantonese is widely used, then i assume that he/she must have come from hongkong or macao. correct me if i am wrong. macao and hongkong are what they called the SAR or special administrative region. even though both of these regions are under chinese subordinance, they have their own government. it is part of the chinese one state two systems program. therefore, in these two regions especially in hongkong they use cantonese widely. they even teach mandarin as the third language and use both cantonese and english as a medium for the education. mandarin is compulsory to be learnt only in elementary schools and many people do not continue to study mandarin in secondary schools as it is no longer compulsory for them to learn and too difficult for them to learn it. therefore, many hongkongnese cannot speak mandarin fluently, they also use cantonese in daily usage and in public. unlike the other mainland china, hongkong and macao use cantonese widely and learning mandarin to speak mandarin is not as important and compulsory than in the mainland china. it is also in my knowledge that many of the hongkongnese migrated to the UK when the UK returned hongkong back to China in 1997. this was due to China as a communism government, and they were afraid hongkong will not be able to have the freedom it once have when under the UK administration. they were also afraid that the Chinese government will not let them continue to practice the capitalism form of market.

since you are living in the UK it is only natural for you to speak english as it is easier for you to speak english rather than other languages. in the example of bengali that you are telling, they are still prefering to speak bengali rather than hindi because the majority of the people still speak bengali and hindi is not the compulsory language in every state of india. there are also anti-hindi movements in southern india, tamils is a very strong evident for this one. however, if hindi were to be truly nationalized in india, and the government will be imposing each one of indians to study hindi then everybody will start using hindi instead of their own regional languages and slowly but surely they will start to abandon their own regional languages in favor to hindi. you are saying that hindi is what joins the different people from different states together, but you are also forgetting that people in the southern india especially the tamils are really anti-hindi. they would prefer to speak in english rather than in hindi if one were to speak hindi with them. and i do think that english needs to continue to be taught in schools in india, not for the domestic usage but for the international usage as english is very important nowadays, this is not only to india but to other countries as well. it will be almost impossible nowadays to conduct business at least in the international levels without the usage of english and many indians cannot speak english. and even though we are saying today that many indians like your relatives speak in english, it is undeniable that the indian english are something that is considered to be bad according to international standard due to the thick accent, and this is sometimes that is often laughed by people all around the world.
Hindi Hindustan ki pehchan hai. Being NRI, this is what binds us to other Indian friends.  Our friends are from East, west, north south  and central part of India and very few are the ones that we have to speak in English as they donot know Hindi and I donot know Tamil and Telugu. (Funny that sometimes I used to leave message to my friend in Hindi without realizing that he will not understand it and he always end up calling to ask what it meant :) and gradually he has learned some words.  which I will avoid telling here  😉

But to have a language that is OUR IDENTITY is Hindi as no matter what state we belong too...we all are from Hindustan :) and that is what binds us together.

Hmmmm so International bonding is more important then national bonding ???????????????????????? so soon we will be baking Pizza in our kitchen daily as why only language...take their every habit.....,....forget daal roti khao, prabhu ke gun gayo :) 
Originally posted by Golden iron

Hindi Hindustan ki pehchan hai. Being NRI, this is what binds us to other Indian friends.  Our friends are from East, west, north south  and central part of India and very few are the ones that we have to speak in English as they donot know Hindi and I donot know Tamil and Telugu. (Funny that sometimes I used to leave message to my friend in Hindi without realizing that he will not understand it and he always end up calling to ask what it meant :) and gradually he has learned some words.  which I will avoid telling here  😉

But to have a language that is OUR IDENTITY is Hindi as no matter what state we belong too...we all are from Hindustan :) and that is what binds us together.

india has always value harmony in diversity. the identity of india cannot be represent just by speaking hindi or learning hindi, otherwise the government will already imposed and forced every indians to speak hindi rather than giving the states freedom to choose whatever language they wish to use as their states official languages. and these other official languages of indias will not be official languages but rather just merely dialects with the exception of perhaps urdu and bengali as it was used in pakistan and bangladesh. and i don't think that hindi binds the indians together as there are states in india, such as the tamil nadu which is strongly against the hindi as the national language. even though the majority population of india do speak hindi, but there are also others who do not speak hindi and i don't think the government should force this people to speak in hindi or to study hindi if they cannot speak in hindi.

So you think we should learn english because it can be used internationally when most Indians haven't stepped outside the country but you think they shouldn't use Hindi which will make each and every indian understand each other with no problem. The jobs you are talking about where English is needed at an internation level is only in certain firms, which make up a very very small percentage of India. If businesses like the royal bank of scotland can build up their business in India and not find the necessity to speak or learn Hindi then pls explain to me why all indians should start learning english. According to your logic my friend about hindi not being used cos other languages will stop being used, then why the double standards with english? Won't Indians start using english and forget about regional languages cos english is more 'cooler'?

I really don't mind bengalis preferring bengali over hindi, but I do think in order to communicate with your own people from your own country, one should atleast understand hindi. Punjabis too prefer to speak punjabi, they are very proud of their culture and good on them but when my dad speaks to his punjabi friends, he will talk in Hindi or english cos it's commonly understood by both. Even though we understand Punjabi cos of similar words to Hindi, plus we visit temple since we were little so we picked it up.So tell me do tamils see no threat of english but they see a threat with hindi? Where's the logic in that? :S

Thanks for the history about China but no you are wrong. Her parents were born in Vietnam but got chucked out cos they were Chinese and when they went to China, the Chinese didn't accept them because they accused them of being Vietnamese but her parents spent most of their life in China speaking and understanding both languages but preferring to speak Cantonese.

Ok so Indians have an accent-big deal! Canadians have a canadian accent, americans have an american accent and british have a british accent. How the hell can you expect an Indian person speaking english NOT to have an indian accent, i'm sorry my friend but not all of us have been trained in a call centre to speak with a british accent with a british name!
We all have accents, get over it and accept it instead of trying to change the way someone naturally speaks!!!!
Originally posted by Golden iron

Hmmmm so International bonding is more important then national bonding ???????????????????????? so soon we will be baking Pizza in our kitchen daily as why only language...take their every habit.....,....forget daal roti khao, prabhu ke gun gayo :) 

Very well said!!!
Sorry but that post really offended me! Learn english and forget about hindi,. what bloody rubbish! Let's all get a king or queen too cos that's what britain do even though the king and queen sit on their $^% all day and do absolutely nothing. How ridiculous!
Originally posted by rongna

india has always value harmony in diversity. the identity of india cannot be represent just by speaking hindi or learning hindi, otherwise the government will already imposed and forced every indians to speak hindi rather than giving the states freedom to choose whatever language they wish to use as their states official languages. and these other official languages of indias will not be official languages but rather just merely dialects with the exception of perhaps urdu and bengali as it was used in pakistan and bangladesh. and i don't think that hindi binds the indians together as there are states in india, such as the tamil nadu which is strongly against the hindi as the national language. even though the majority population of india do speak hindi, but there are also others who do not speak hindi and i don't think the government should force this people to speak in hindi or to study hindi if they cannot speak in hindi.

your answer lies there Rongna...Diversity is what made states and harmony is what kept them together. Dialects or official langauge doesnot matter, as long as peopel are happy and work is getting done. but by limiting work in state's dialact (Or official language) and english...are you not limiting the resources????  I am punjabi but why should I not be able to able to work in Calcutta or in Hyderabad or in Chennai or in Patna if I am qualified well enough?? Also why a language barrier should stop me to  understand other states? Why should I be left out int he crowd just because I am not familiar to the state regional language???? WHy susch retriction ????????

Yes there are states anti hindi but for how long??? if they find it hard to get along with otehr states, may be they will learn. One cannot be a frog living in the well and think this is the world and nothing exisit outside. First we need to know our people and one national language is what is required. English is official language and let us keep it that way.