Debate Mansion

What is wrong not learning Hindi? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 22

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 11:06pm | IP Logged

lakshmim_84 [quote] and angie.....yes, we usually use english for conversation.. and some of us, know more than 1 language, like i know kannada, tamil and Malayalam [quote]

Thanx for the reply. 4 major lang in South India itself, so even to converse with each other there wud hav to be a common lang . Either side has to know the others lang 2 b able to communicate , or may B ppl prefer to learn English instead considering it 2 B neutral. Now why English & not French or Spanish ? None of the 3 are compulsory. But obviously English is chosen as it is more commonly spoken in that region than French or Spanish .Similarly Hindi is spoken more commonly as compared to other languages in India, only problem being that it is being associated with a region in India & therefore not a neutral lang like English . So accepting Hindi wud mean acceding to dominion . Is that it?  Accepting domination by a foreign lang is acceptable but not that of a language that is being spoken by majority of ppl of a country we accept as ours.

I have no problems with English being taught in India , rather I wud say that it is beneficial as it improves job prospect . ppl like Mulayam Singh is talking of banning English but I just read that his children go to an English Medium school. It's a case of "Gaddi bachao, progress Hatao" . It serves the politicians purpose to keep the ppl poor, ignorant & dependent on the politicians . But at the same time to give English  the status of a national lang is not very palatable. PPl had problems in accepting a foreign born Indian national as our PM a few years back.

Incidentally knowing Hindi too improves job prospects within the country .

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What is wrong not learning Hindi? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lakshmim_84

Originally posted by angie.4u

I understand the love that has for one's own mother tongue . Hindi is not my mother tongue either, but I feel that one has to stop thinking everything in terms of I , me , mine. Once we say we belong to one nation we should have reached a consensus by now of accepting one language as our national language & at the same time continue to respect our own regional lang too. By accepting one lang as national lang I dont think that we belittle our own regional lang in any way. If every state of our country wants to have ones own lang as national lang instead of any other we reach no consensus. The very concept of a nation is threatened if we still remain stuck in feelings of regionalism. Hindi at least belongs to our nation whereas English is a reminder of the colonial days. If not Hindi I wudnt mind having any other lang spoken by majority of Indians as our national lang.

i am not understanding why a national language is required to keep the nation united.......arn't we united now.. aren't we all indians now... our constitution has recognised 18 official languages and everyone are happy with it...then why do hindi speaking majority want their language to be thrust upon us.....why shld it be compulsory to learn hindi.
as of now, the concept of nation is not threatened.......but if we find that some people r forcing their rule on us, just bcos they are in majority, well i am sorry to say, the concept of nation will surely be threatened...
and it is not necessary that a common language will keep the nation united......best example is pakistan, which imposed the language urdu on east pakistan, and that formed one of reason for the dis-satisfaction and led to the split of the nation in 1971

hey hold on lakshmim, how can it B ever made compulsory to learn anything ? I know its impossible LOL .LOL  But it wud certainly help to have a common language that most of the countrymen R able to understand so that it is easy to communicate .Being able to communicate does bring one closer.Smile  Ppl can no longer say that we need not learn another lang as we will never move out of our region. Since U know Hindi & English both U have not faced the problem . But many ppl face a lot of probs due to lang when they move out of their regions . PPl going out for jobs or medical trt or as a tourist must B aware of the problems they face if they do not understand a word of either hindi or the local dialect of the place they visit. With so many dialects in our country its impossible to learn them all but learning one which is known in most parts of the country is definitely advantageous.  

One of my colleague originally from kerala, staying alone in delhi recently got admitted in a hospital in Delhi & her mother came to visit her  but faced a lot of problems in moving around the hospital & also to travel in the city as she did not understand a word of hindi. Knowing English wudnt have helped her much as the uneducated here do not know English.

I know another girl from kerala , post grad in Medical Social Work, who happily announced to me that she landed a job in a prestigious institute in Delhi . She had moved to Delhi as her husband was posted here. Her troubles started soon when she had to contend with frequent transfers within the institute as no dept was happy with her due to her inability to counsel patients  as she did not know hindi. It was probably not compulsory to know hindi to get that job but it proved to B a  great handicap in meeting the job requirement of counseling patients who come from all over the country to that premier institute for tertiary care. She is trying to learn Hindi now !

Students from South or North eastern States getting admission in Medical Colleges in other parts of the country if they know Hindi have a comparatively easier time communicating with patients who come from all walks of life not necessarily knowing English .

PPl having transferable jobs within India, eg armed forces, admn services, banking sector prefer to put their children in CBSE schools where Hindi is compulsory till class 8th . Medium of instruction is English. For their boards they can opt for Sanskrit or a foreign lang in lieu of Hindi.

But having learnt hindi till class 8th helps .Most of the schools in the diff  states of India follow a 3 lang pattern. Someone posted in that state for 8-10 yrs wud do well to have his children learn the state lang there along with hindi as well as English.

All I m trying to say is that , Nobody is trying to make anything compulsory but its in ones own interest. If someone is averse to learning something that is clearly in their favour then so be it ! They can confine themselves to their own regional lang  .But as far as I know many ppl in south India are learning Hindi as they  have understood its benefits.  I shall lv it at that !

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 11:19pm | IP Logged

whoa ! what a post angie ji !Clap

your last para quite sums it up !

But i guess it is difficult to realise the mentality of those people who want to thrust hindi on others. What we are discussing now is how hindi can be beneficial to non hindi speaking people, but we aren't discussing the reasons which lead to some people thrusting hindi on others !!

Btw- are there many such people out there at all ?

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 11:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by clodpolish

But i guess it is difficult to realise the mentality of those people who want to thrust hindi on others. What we are discussing now is how hindi can be beneficial to non hindi speaking people, but we aren't discussing the reasons which lead to some people thrusting hindi on others !!

true..........thats my point.........we have no probs in people learning hindi........i have learned hindi........ but the problem is with people trying to make it compulsory in all states telling that it is the language of majority......
even English is not compulsory here...its our choice....
Hindi might be benificial for people who want to stay at north.and english is benificial for people who want to live at south....however, just bcos hindi is spoken by majority, it shld not be made compulsory.....
i had learned hindi.but even now, i do not find much use for that language when compared to English or my regional language... i might find use........might be when i change my recidence to some north indian place..... but till then?

the problem is only with those people, who consider hindi to be something great.....and force us to learn hindi....thats the title of the thread....."Whats wrong in not learning hindi". No one else if forcing their regional language on others.so why is hindi so special............it is after just another language of India...

whatever benifit it has.........it shld be left to the people to decide........whatever, examples u have said me abt the handicaps being faced by not knowing hindi..........the same handicap can be faced with people at southern states if they don't know english...... but that doesn't mean.we have to make english a compulsory language for every student in India.

we usually have 2 language system...and some schools provide an optional 3rd language.......usually students select their regional language........and for the remaining language.the choice is between English/Hindi............and many find English having more benifits than Hindi.hence they opt for English.........its all personal choice....no one can thrust any language on others, just because it is spoken in majority.

Edited by lakshmim_84 - 14 April 2009 at 11:41pm

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lakshmim_84

Originally posted by clodpolish

true..........thats my point.........we have no probs in people learning hindi........i have learned hindi........ but the problem is with people trying to make it compulsory in all states telling that it is the language of majority......
even English is not compulsory here...its our choice....
Hindi might be benificial for people who want to stay at north.and english is benificial for people who want to live at south....however, just bcos hindi is spoken by majority, it shld not be made compulsory.....
i had learned hindi.but even now, i do not find much use for that language when compared to English or my regional language... i might find use........might be when i change my recidence to some north indian place..... but till then?

the problem is only with those people, who consider hindi to be something great.....and force us to learn hindi....thats the title of the thread....."Whats wrong in not learning hindi". No one else if forcing their regional language on others.so why is hindi so special............it is after just another language of India...

whatever benifit it has.........it shld be left to the people to decide........whatever, examples u have said me abt the handicaps being faced by not knowing hindi..........the same handicap can be faced with people at southern states if they don't know english...... but that doesn't mean.we have to make english a compulsory language for every student in India.

we usually have 2 language system...and some schools provide an optional 3rd language.......usually students select their regional language........and for the remaining language.the choice is between English/Hindi............and many find English having more benifits than Hindi.hence they opt for English.........its all personal choice....no one can thrust any language on others, just because it is spoken in majority.

yup !

thats it i guess now !

or is any tangent still left ?

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

swan20

IF-Sizzlerz

swan20

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 5:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

I understand the love that has for one's own mother tongue . Hindi is not my mother tongue either, but I feel that one has to stop thinking everything in terms of  I , me , mine. Once we say we belong to one nation we should have reached a consensus by now of accepting one language as our national language & at the same time continue  to respect our own regional lang too. By accepting one lang as national lang I dont think that we belittle our own regional lang in any way. If every state of our country wants to have ones own lang as national lang instead of any other we reach no consensus. The very concept of a nation is threatened if we still remain stuck in feelings of regionalism.   Hindi at least belongs to our nation whereas English is a reminder of the colonial days.  If not Hindi I wudnt mind having any other lang spoken by majority of Indians as our national lang.

well said......Clap Clap......completely agree with you.

prat9

prat9

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged

LOL!LOL..OMG!...another topic about hindi ONCE again!.....Hey guys why the majority of the non-hindi speaking people is making such a big deal out of this language!.....(sorry guys i couldn't stay away from this one here)....I truly fail to see their points of reasoning here but I do lament their blind prejudices about resisting to the so-called oppression from other regions in India.....I find the whole argument put forward by them totally immatured and stuck in a single narrowed mind-set angle!....

If I'm not mistaken Hindi is actually the spoken language by the majority of Indians irrespective of their state of origins in India.....I've met scores of Indians from different regions of this great country but so far I've never felt their antagonisms towards hindi when they do converse in that medium.....so why the non-speaking hindi Indians on this forum feel so cornered and react so aggressively when it comes to learning hindi or making it an official language?....Going by the history of India, no true indian at the time of british colonial rule found the latter's reign over their country justified or even acceptable in the first place at that time..... and I believe though the abhorrence and the averse attitude have considerably minimised and inconspicuously swept under the carpet, indians will not easily forget the countless atrocities and barbaric treatments endured by their great grandfathers at the hands of those loatheful and cold blooded insensitive britishers at that time...or may be they did forget!.....because judging by the number of posts here, they would rather prefer english over hindi any day!.....how logical is their thinking I wonder or should I rather say baseless....just because because!....this really beats me!!!.Confused

...sorry i don't mean to offend any particular indian state here but I love Hindi so much that i dream to be able to speak it as fluently as my native and first language which is French!....I even used to feel so bad that i was not born an indian or even born to indian parent/s but over the years when i see such 'unity' among you guys,well i have stopped complaining about my birth place and non-indian parents......as an observer here who loves India and finds it as the most amazing country in the world, i feel very sad when i see such strong discord over trivial matters....well how can a country with so many conflicts in each and every walk of its life ever be able to strike the right balance to create a consensus harmony on a large scale.....

And i see topics about the political system in India....Can YOU ever change that!???!!.Forget it!....it's just a mere reflection of the MAJORITY of people's mentality on a much more broader aspect in life!....

...some people need to really introspect here and realise the wealth that you have been born with and bestowed upon without having to ask for it.....my best friends are actually indians born and brought up in India and I am truly thankful that THEY are my TRUE and REAL friends indeed!....they belong to the handful of real indians with the true essence of India in their souls!

P.S...plz bear in mind that this post may not necessarily point out to members on this forum but it's rather a generalised opinion of a larger majority of narrow-minded people out there.....and so plz don't come and bash me with some over heated arguments!WinkTongue.....

Post Reply New Post

Go to top