Debate Mansion

What is wrong not learning Hindi? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 22

karandel_2008

IF-Rockerz

karandel_2008

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 2:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by azman007

Well said Lakshmin_84. How many Northern states have Tamil as their second language? Is Tamil or Telugu or Kannada even offered as curriculum in those states? How many teachers know different languages besides Hindi?

I am sad that Hindi is not banned in most Southern States. I am also surprised that we have not gone to court over the language issue (may be we have, but I have not seen anything). We should ask the Supreme Court to strike down Hindi as the official language of the Union, when that language was chosen UNDEMOCRATICALLY.

Thanks.

AZ

AZ: Many south Indian languages including Tamil are taught in North Indian Universities. At least, I know about Delhi University.

I disagree about banning Hindi. If we ban something Indian in India then wont it be unpatriotic?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What is wrong not learning Hindi? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by azman007

Friends,
I have always wondered why some section of the Hindi speaking population is hell bent on others learning Hindi, where as they themselves are lazy enough not to learn other languages.

Didn't our forefathers say "Unity in Diversity"?
What happened to the tolerance for other languages and culture?
Isn't our national anthem written by a Bengali in the language of Bengali?

hmm

i shouldn't speak in hindi in this thread i guessLOL

however, the section of people you are talking about i guess might be under some wrong conceptions......lazy to hum sab hi hainLOL(we all are lazy only)

btw - talking about national language, i think it should be sign language........hindi speaking people won't learn another language, tamil speaking ones won't learn another, etc etc.......best is learn a language which no one knowsLOL

here, start now -

seetumail

seetumail

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
well friend.this is true . when a person from France speaks in french (his mother tongue) then we are impressed. but when a person from our country speaks in hindi then he is looked down upon.
such discrimination is done to them that the person is forced to learn English.
Its not about speaking ill about any particular language, but the respect of each language is its own.
today is the age of globalization , if a person learns different languages then it is to his own benefit.
but truly this is just the case of our country only.others respect their mother tongue and love to talk in it

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 12:45am | IP Logged
I understand the love that has for one's own mother tongue . Hindi is not my mother tongue either, but I feel that one has to stop thinking everything in terms of  I , me , mine. Once we say we belong to one nation we should have reached a consensus by now of accepting one language as our national language & at the same time continue  to respect our own regional lang too. By accepting one lang as national lang I dont think that we belittle our own regional lang in any way. If every state of our country wants to have ones own lang as national lang instead of any other we reach no consensus. The very concept of a nation is threatened if we still remain stuck in feelings of regionalism.   Hindi at least belongs to our nation whereas English is a reminder of the colonial days.  If not Hindi I wudnt mind having any other lang spoken by majority of Indians as our national lang.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 12:49am | IP Logged
@ CP
Well, cloddy, Sign lang is a good suggestion LOL but what to do in times of frequent power failures in our country. We wont b able to C the signs then Wink  & w still have some rural places where electricity hasnt reached yet !

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 12:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

@ CP
Well, cloddy, Sign lang is a good suggestion LOLbut what to do in times of frequent power failures in our country. We wont b able to C the signs then Wink & w still have some rural places where electricity hasnt reached yet !

we won't communicate at night .......at night just enjoy the beauty around you.......gaay,bhains, gobar.etc

this way we'll come more close to nature too.....and not talking to your relatives for some time increases love from what i know......see i have thought from all possible anglesLOLLOL

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 1:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Golden iron

Originally posted by lakshmim_84

Originally posted by Golden iron

There is nothing wrong. It is a pretigious langauge and more widely spoken. I love it

how can "more widely spoken" make it more prestigious to me, than my regional language. U love hindi, and i love my regional language

It is prestigious because is associated with my nation. It is pretigious because I love it same as I love my regional language. It is prestigious as I love it same as other regional languages and dialects. It is pretigious as is the means of communication to lots of other Indians and muslims here in USA.

By saying this I have not shown any disrespect to my regional language which is Punjabi or yours. Thumbs Up

u might associate hindi with india..but i do not......it just consider it as one of the many languages of india. even i too love hindi and other regional languages, but i am not considering my regional language as the identity of my nation and forcing it on others
if hindi is the means of communication to lots of indians in the place where u live........english was the means of communication in the place that i lived......malayalam is the means of communication for indians in dubai, tamil is the means of communication for many in singapore and sri lanka......so that makes all these languages prestigious........ however none of us are forcing other indians to learn, tamil or malayalam or english.......why is it that only hindi speaking people want others to learn hindi........and forcing that language on us, when we clearly see no use for it.

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 1:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

I understand the love that has for one's own mother tongue . Hindi is not my mother tongue either, but I feel that one has to stop thinking everything in terms of I , me , mine. Once we say we belong to one nation we should have reached a consensus by now of accepting one language as our national language & at the same time continue to respect our own regional lang too. By accepting one lang as national lang I dont think that we belittle our own regional lang in any way. If every state of our country wants to have ones own lang as national lang instead of any other we reach no consensus. The very concept of a nation is threatened if we still remain stuck in feelings of regionalism. Hindi at least belongs to our nation whereas English is a reminder of the colonial days. If not Hindi I wudnt mind having any other lang spoken by majority of Indians as our national lang.

i am not understanding why a national language is required to keep the nation united.......arn't we united now.. aren't we all indians now... our constitution has recognised 18 official languages and everyone are happy with it...then why do hindi speaking majority want their language to be thrust upon us.....why shld it be compulsory to learn hindi.
as of now, the concept of nation is not threatened.......but if we find that some people r forcing their rule on us, just bcos they are in majority, well i am sorry to say, the concept of nation will surely be threatened...
and it is not necessary that a common language will keep the nation united......best example is pakistan, which imposed the language urdu on east pakistan, and that formed one of reason for the dis-satisfaction and led to the split of the nation in 1971

Post Reply New Post

Go to top