Debate Mansion

What is wrong not learning Hindi? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 22

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 5:54am | IP Logged
Ahhh I seeit now. The main issue is not Hindi per se but not to have something imposed on oneself. Ok point taken. Smile
I just had a question - there R 4 main languages in the southern states - Telugu, malyalee, kannada & tamil . So when U have 2 converse with each other which lang do U use. Is it English or do all the 4 states know each others lang ?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What is wrong not learning Hindi? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

azman007

azman007

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lakshmim_84

Originally posted by angie.4u

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

Well, there can B nothing wrong in not learning anything for that matter just as I don't see anything wrong in learning anything either . But certainly learning something wud B preferable to not learning it ! As far as a language is considered its always to ones advantage as it helps one to communicate with others. It shud B seen as such . Many political leaders of the nothern parts of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> oppose English but that isn't a wise choice either. When there R clear advantages of learning that language it only makes good sense to learn it. Why is learning a language seen as an affront to ones regionality ? It's a fact that Hindi & English R the two languages of communication in our country & most politicians who R opposing either make sure that their own kids learn the two languages well, notwithstanding what they may say in their speeches to the masses !

</font>
<br>true.learning something is preferable......and thats why, the schools usually have two languages in their course. You have said that Hindi is the language of communication in India...however, that is not the case in southern states. Here hindi is not at all used.so why wld a student from one of these southern state find hindi to be more important than their reigional language which is used more for communication.<br>As far as communicating with people outside te state - whether it be in india or outside, we have english and most of the students from the southern states learn english. <br>Also, none of the southern states have banned hindi........if the students want, they can choose hindi over the regional language........ All that we want to oppose is, imposing the language hindi on us...no one can impose any language.if we want and we find, hindi shld be the more important than the regional language, we will choose it........otherwise, we will not<br>

Well said Lakshmin_84. How many Northern states have Tamil as their second language? Is Tamil or Telugu or Kannada even offered as curriculum in those states? How many teachers know different languages besides Hindi?

I am sad that Hindi is not banned in most Southern States. I am also surprised that we have not gone to court over the language issue (may be we have, but I have not seen anything). We should ask the Supreme Court to strike down Hindi as the official language of the Union, when that language was chosen UNDEMOCRATICALLY.

Thanks.

AZ

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged
Ban hindi in south???  Shocked. ban is not the right word .I think even laks wouldnt agree to what u have written there  what she meant was their regional language is more important for them to communicate in their  region and she is absolutely rite there. Why r u  complaining about Tamil language only we dont have even north indian languages like punjabi in our schools .

Edited by sonur15 - 13 April 2009 at 8:58am

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged
oh no no, banning a language is not the right way......that will again be imposing the rule on the people.........i still leave it for the people to decide......and our states have been right in that direction........they have given us the freedom to choose whatever we want.
i only wanted to clarify the point here abt, hindi being made compulsory in all states...thats what i do not agree to.....i do not see hindi having some more importance than any other language....and i do not see hindi having any use in my state,when we r more comfortable with english.
also, abt hindi being the official language of indian union....it is not true.....our constitution has decided not to have any national language and that there will be 18 official languages in india.
and angie.....yes, we usually use english for conversation.. and some of us, know more than 1 language, like i know kannada, tamil and malayalam.

Golden iron

Golden iron

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged
There is nothing wrong. It is a pretigious langauge and more widely spoken.  I love it Thumbs Up

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Golden iron

There is nothing wrong. It is a pretigious langauge and more widely spoken. I love it Thumbs Up

how can "more widely spoken" make it more prestigious to me, than my regional language. U love hindi, and i love my regional language

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged
Now this is he limit..there isnt any competition going on here.Language is just a medium of communication .IF people of particular state feels that their regional language is more important then hindi then its ok. and it is very practical also..what is more important is how u feel about your country and how u respect each other's culture and language.

Edited by sonur15 - 13 April 2009 at 9:19pm

Golden iron

Golden iron

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lakshmim_84

Originally posted by Golden iron

There is nothing wrong. It is a pretigious langauge and more widely spoken. I love it

how can "more widely spoken" make it more prestigious to me, than my regional language. U love hindi, and i love my regional language

It is prestigious because is associated with my nation. It is pretigious because I love it same as I love my regional language. It is prestigious as I love it same as other regional languages and dialects. It is pretigious as is the means of communication to lots of other Indians and muslims here in USA.

By saying this I have not shown any disrespect to my regional language which is Punjabi or yours.  Thumbs Up

Post Reply New Post

Go to top