Prelude to rest of our lives… [AR Story]

Posted: 14 years ago

Author's Notes: This is another story I wrote which was published long time ago and its another personal favorite of mine. I like the simplicity of the idea. Enjoy reading!

She saw a paper dropping out of his white coat when he took a pen out to write prescription on a patient's case sheet. He wasn't aware that she was watching him and she preferred it that way. She could stare at him to all her hearts content without being distracted by his intense gaze and gentle smile in her direction. She was on her break and he was on rounds in general ward. She could see that small slip of paper was fluttering slightly because of his long strides.

She waited at her spot till she was certain that she was out of his peripheral vision. She quickly retrieved the small scrap of paper and moved hurriedly over fire exit to read its contents without being disturbed. She knew that her boyfriend was not exactly a poetic material. Sure he dropped in lines here and there when they were alone, but as far as she knew him, the content was mostly borrowed. Her eyes widened in surprise when she read the words written on that paper.

When thoughts lay heavy on mind, then time, almost always, seems at its slowest. Everything in this world seems trivial when you focus on that one thought, that one need. No one could possibly know how you feel. At that moment, you are truly alone in this world and where no understanding exists. All the other problems that exist in this one life are thrown aside for this one desire...

This desire drives you through the day and it drives you through the night. All your thoughts are filled by it. You are completely consumed verging on the sense of obsession. In the mornings it envelops you as the warmth of the sun and in the nights it comes to you in your dreams; sweet and bitter combined. It makes you want to scream, to cry, and to giggle. It gives a whole bunch of emotions in a go.

Sometimes she is a mother, all nurturing. Sometimes she is a sister, completely annoying. Sometimes she is a daughter, delicate and vulnerable. Sometimes she is a teacher, brilliant and understanding. Sometimes she is the best friend, fantastic listener and great fun to hangout with. But sometimes, she is this person to whom you want to go home to. She is the person with whom you can tell your darkest secrets and your silliest insecurities and yet be confident that even after knowing all these things, she will still treat you the same. She is the person with whom you can fall in love with every new sunrise. This kind of a person exists and she is my girlfriend.

She didn't know what to make of that note. It was the most honest heartfelt words that she had ever read and it beat any kind of romantic poetry any day in her book. She knew that he would never give this to her. It was something private to him and him alone. She wondered if she ever raided her boyfriend's room, could she possibly get more collection of words like these. For a fleeting moment, she decided to not to give him this paper back and keep it for herself. But a thought stuck her and she took out a pen and started to write.

He saw his girlfriend making her way amongst the masses of nurses and ward boys. She stopped in front of him and handed him a sheet of paper. His heart stopped to see her clutching the paper where his most private thoughts were penned.

"You dropped this in general ward. I presume you want it back?" She waved the paper in front of his face. She dropped it in his out stretched palm and offered him a hurried goodbye as she was expected somewhere else. He opened the folds of paper to see her words at the end of the sheet. His face broke into an easy smile and caressed her words gently.

Sometimes being ourselves is not enough, yet we somehow manage to get through this life. But sometimes, you honestly wish that there was someone else to share the things that you are going through however bad it might be; just so that you could be understood better. I stopped looking for that kind of person when I met you.

What people don't realize is that nothing is forever or permanent. People fall in love, sometimes get married and have kids. In the process they get swept away by life and become oblivious to everything around them. It's not like a person stops caring about the other overnight; it's a gradual devolution. Everything has a lifespan and a shelf life; even love, even commitment. Given the state of things, our jobs, our attitudes towards life, you would want to know answers to these questions.

Will we fall out of love? Not if we are equal partners in the relationship. Will we be together for the rest of our lives? We might if we continue to learn things from each other and nurture our relationship every passing day. Will we be happy? I am certain that will be. Today, all I can do is to fall in step with you and be next to you and deal with what ever life would throw at us.

Together.

--o00o--

COMPLETE

Edited by Sookie* - 14 years ago

oh gawd...!!srsly u reli are an awsum writer...!!

jes got upp n then i thought i wud jes check owt IF...
um so glad 2 c dis update.....
lovely update...!!
do write more....!!waiting 4 it..
no craving 4 it....!!
luvya
crazy ashu
Seriously and honestly....it was fabulous
I dont know what else to say because whenever I read something from u, it makes me speechless, in true sense.
sookie everytime i think dat this was the best u go ahead n prove me wrong
man!!!!!! u r awesome
i guess after ur next update i'll run out of adjectives to describe u n ur work
i was floored...............
dats all i can say
loved it, *cross my heart*
thanx a ton for the PM
plz dont stop writing EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
take care
love rabu
heyy dear,
nice intro
continue soon
That was probably the best thing I have ever read on this forum!

Kudos 2 the person who wrote that...Without using any identity...it sketched a whole persona and character!

Thanks so much 4 posting this here...It was amazing! Thanks 4 sending me a PM as well...I truly enjoyed reading this!

Thanks once again!

-Marisha
@perfectpiscean: Err...I wrote that story. Its just that it was published in another forum last November. :-)

I will reply to rest of the comments later.

Ciao!
oh god neever ever i had read a prt which is so romantic....romantic frm the heart......the letter was fabulous ...cause it got so much depth n then the continuation by riddhima made it all the more ...what shud i sayy..umnnnnnn...like iit was straight frm the heart.....i loved it....srsly u shud start writing some ff which nt in prts bt as a full fledged n i will be the first one to read it..plz consider this..u r an awesome writer..i loved ur work..like this is the second short ff i am reading...n i am totally become a fan of urs..truely....👍🏼
thnx fr the pms
hugs..to u
bye tc.
heyy dear,
nice intro
continue soon.
@ashu: Thanks a bunch! Wrote more!

@bloodline: wow...thanks for your comments.

@rabiam: :-) Thanks a million for your comments. I am glad you like my work.

@kiran: Reserved again? Aww...come on...waiting...

@Ridss: Thanks. This story is actually complete.

@perfectpiscean: Thanks. WIll surely send PM next time.

@suvi_rox1: :-) thanks. I am not sure if I can write long FFs. I have written only two series till date and both have been for Twilight only. I need a definitive start and an end and number of chapters to be predecided before I write anything else. Right now, not much time for that, thats why these one shots.

Special thanks to everyone who gave a "Thank You" for this post.