Food, Drinks & Recipes

Lunches for Kids

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

diamondgirl148

diamondgirl148

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged
Hi Guys:

I need help. Do anyone have ideas for a vegetarian family for lunches for kids. I need some variations. I think my kids are getting bored with the same old.
Thanks

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Lunches for Kids" in Food, Drinks & Recipes forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

cimba

Goldie

cimba

Posted: 16 April 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged
I can use help also in that section. My son takes mostly peanut butter /jelly sandwiches mostly. He does not like questions arising  and explaining  for desi food at school. Though i have given him vegetable paraths( in which i shred veggies stright in to the dough so less messy for him to eat) with yogurt. Pasta, cheese sandwich with cucumer and tomato. He takes the side of dry cereal, fruits, juice.
I can also use some variety for him.

ananyacool

Goldie

ananyacool

Posted: 27 April 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged

Making kids eat is a great task for any mommy and thats when creativity of Moms is actually tested.

Here is one recipe which kids would like :
Recipe: Veg Wrap

Ingredients:

1/2 c. fat-free cream cheese or strained yogurt 4 8-inch flour tortillas ( can be substituted with wheat tortillas or even Chapatis) 2/3 c. romaine lettuce, shredded ( If lettuce is not available use spinach, that tastes great too!)  2/3 c. red cabbage, shredded 1 red tomato, diced 1/4 c. red onions, sliced 1/3 c. carrots, grated 1/4 c. blue cheese
  • 1 c. alfalfa sprouts or any other sprouts of ur choice.

Directions:

Spread 2 tbsp. cream cheese over one side of each tortilla/ chapati/roti Divide remaining ingredients evenly among tortillas. Roll up each tortilla.
  1. Cut each rolled wrap in half diagonally.

Serves: 4

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

JRia

ana2008

ana2008

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 5:07pm | IP Logged
Quesadilla Recipe:

INGREDIENTS
Large flour tortillas
Grated cheese - either mild or sharp cheddar, or Monterey Jack
Olive oil or grapeseed oil

Optional:
Sliced mushrooms
Green onions
Black olives, sliced
Fresh tomatoes, diced
Chicken pieces
Avocado

METHOD

1 Heat a large cast iron frying pan to medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil (about 1/2 teaspoon) and spread it around the bottom of the pan with a spatula (you could use butter as well). Take one large flour tortilla and place it in the pan. Flip the tortilla over a few times, 10 seconds between flips. Air pockets should begin to form within the tortilla.

2 When pockets of air begin to form, take a handful of grated cheese, sprinkle over the top of the tortilla, making sure that the cheese does not land on the pan itself. Add whatever additional ingredients you choose - green onion, sliced mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, etc. If you would like your quesadilla to be a chicken quesadilla, add some diced cooked chicken. Take care not to layer on the ingredients to thickly - this is a quesadilla, not a quiche.

3 Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. The cast iron pan should be hot enough by now to have plenty of residual heat to melt the cheese and brown the tortilla. If the quesadilla begins to smoke too much, remove from the heat. After a minute, check to see if the cheese is melted. If not, return the cover and keep checking every minute until the cheese is melted. When the cheese is sufficiently melted, use a spatula to lift up one side of the quesadilla and flip over the other side, as if you were making an omelette. The tortilla should by now be browned slightly. If it is not browned, turn the heat up to high and flip the quesadilla over every 10 seconds or so until it gets browned. Remove from pan and cut into wedges.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

JRia

ana2008

ana2008

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 5:11pm | IP Logged
You can make grilled cheese sandwitches, make vegie burgers(buy from the company BOKA), make sandwitches in a sandwitch maker with left over sabjis

nulz

nulz

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 7:51pm | IP Logged
with the wraps, add pineapple pieces, beetroot or any fruit pieces .. It adds a sweet taste which most kids like and its healthy too.

Other good options for kids lunches are - fried rice, pizza slices, mash potatoes with veges and roast meat .. Noodles .. Variety of sandwiches - u can put indian currys as filling in sanwiches too, make a vegetable/meat curry they like .. put it in the sandwich with lettuce, cheese etc.

cimba

Goldie

cimba

Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
thanks  so much for the ideasClap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top