A person suppose to commit suicude, your reaction? - Page 7

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

^ ^

Way too much complicated for my brain to comprehend.

Let me try to help too .(from what i understand )

Firstly, i take it that you are clear about active and passive euthanasia. So , RTH ji seems to be supporting active euthanasia because a lethal injection causes death without pain while in passive euthanasia, one dies a very painful death !

Secondly , from the term "dignity of death" , i guess she means to say simply that a person should be given the right to chose death when that person becomes too independent on other individuals even for basic stuff (even though that person might not be on machines) because for an otherwise independently thinking and acting individual, such a life would be worthless.

Edited by clodpolish - 14 years ago
^ Thanks, but  was merely kidding when I made that comment. πŸ˜†

^ Thanks, but was merely kidding when I made that comment. πŸ˜†
hadd hoti hai !πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜†
^ But I liked reading your explanation.

^ But I liked reading your explanation.

ThanksπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Something wrong with you Ashoka? πŸ˜† Suddenly such a big fan of Prachi? πŸ˜†
Originally posted by return_to_hades

You are halfway right. Yes in the case of painful terminal illness as in terminal cancer or other fatal injury I do support euthanasia. However, instead of 'passive' euthanasia, I support 'active' euthanasia. See in a terminally ill patient life support devices, pain killers provide comfort. Taking them away lets the person die, but it is a cruel and unusual death. I'd rather give the lethal injection so they can die quickly and painlessly.

Also I do support forms of euthanasia in exception to terminal illness in what I consider 'dignity in death'. If a person is vegetated, or in a situation where they are embarrassingly dependent on others, I think they have the right to choose death. I personally am a very independent minded individual, the fact that someone ever has to sponge me, clean up my waste etc taking away the self reliance and dignity I had in my youth is something that is emotionally unbearable. Yes, its pure fickle pride, but I'd rather die than be a senile vegetable.

I agree with this.

How about another angle? Religious "suicides" for example. In some religions there are acceptable methods of giving up one's life (after completing all necessary duties as dictated by the religion and performing the proper rituals/rites, penances, etc). Should we be ok with that? I remember there was some controversy about some Jain woman who decided to starve herself to death in accordance with her religion (if you read Jain literature and mythology, there are many many stories of people who live out their lives, then take up asceticism before finally giving up their lives via prolonged fasting; this is called 'Santhara' and is acceptable in Jainism). Should we be ok with that as a religious right? Is stopping such a person going against their freedom to practice their religion?

@topic: maybe I'll try to save the person if it's a hot woman. 😈
Edited by Kal El - 14 years ago

Something wrong with you Ashoka? πŸ˜† Suddenly such a big fan of Prachi? πŸ˜†

i thought you were a fan of prachi...oops baniπŸ˜†

so i thought a prachi smile could do wonders to youπŸ˜†

Originally posted by Kal El

I agree with this.

How about another angle? Religious "suicides" for example. In some religions there are acceptable methods of giving up one's life (after completing all necessary duties as dictated by the religion and performing the proper rituals/rites, penances, etc). Should we be ok with that? I remember there was some controversy about some Jain woman who decided to starve herself to death in accordance with her religion (if you read Jain literature and mythology, there are many many stories of people who live out their lives, then take up asceticism before finally giving up their lives via prolonged fasting; this is called 'Santhara' and is acceptable in Jainism). Should we be ok with that as a religious right? Is stopping such a person going against their freedom to practice their religion?

oh , nothing is greater than religion !πŸ˜†

better save yourselfπŸ˜†

Edited by clodpolish - 14 years ago

You bring in an interesting aspect. Actually kind of on a similar tangent, Mahatma Gandhi and other people who 'fasted' would be considered ethically wrong if 'suicide' was considered absolutely wrong in terms of ethics. I tend to be liberal with 'suicide'. I think people do have the right over their own lives. As I stated before, I will try to talk them out of it, because I personally find it ridiculous. However, ultimately its their prerogative. After suicide in Hindi literally reads 'self happiness'.

While suicide bombers disturb me, I find the notion of Kamikaze Pilots and Harakiri quite romantic.

Oh dear, I really and truly hope that the next girl that attempts suicide near you is good looking, otherwise she'll be going somewhere far, far away.