31Mar-09-Bhrigu's curse to Vishnu - Page 3

Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by Vibhishna

Sorry, I did not see your post earlier. You had put in some of the stories I skipped. Sorry if my posts were a repetition.

Thanks for posting the story. It was really interesting to read it all. I have heard of the movie but I've never watched it.

You're welcome.😊 The songs in the movie are really nice. I'll try to post some.
Vibs

Is this the story you're describing below?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bw50p2lGNE&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

Note: This is NOT one of my videos.

Originally posted by Vibhishna

Here is the story of Lord Venkateshwara's marriage with Padmavathi Devi. I have omitted the side stories. I have just included the main stories here.

The Tirumala Hills are a range of 7 Hills. Lord Varaha along with his consort Bhuma Devi stayed on the Venkatadhri Hills after rescuing the Earth from the demon Hiranyakashipu.

The sages went to Rishi Brighu to ask who among the Gods is to be worshipped first in all the ceremonies and prayers. Sage Brighu who had an eye at the sole of his foot (which gave him immense power by which he can even defeat the Gods, the Trinity included) as a result of his penances and merits went to the three gods one after the other. First to Brahma Lok - Lord Brahma sat in worshiping Lord Vishnu. (In some stories, it is said that Vishnu Lord Brahma was reciting the vedas and looking at Devi Saraswati.) Sage Brighu decided that he was not worthy of worship and left the place after cursing Lord Brahma. In the Kailash Mountains, Lord Shiva sat in the groves with Devi Parvati and did not notice the sage coming there. When Devi Parvati brought to Lord Shiva's notice about the Sage's arrival, Lord Shiva took up his Trishul to kill him for intervening in their privacy. Sage Brighu cursed Lord Shiva too and left the place and reached Vaikundha. (Some stories say that Lord Shiva did not notice Sage Brighu at all and the sage cursed Lord Shiva and left the place.) In Vaikundha, Lord Vishnu was resting on Adhisesha and Devi Lakshmi was pressing his feet. Sage Brighu, fiercely angry that he was not noticed here too, kicked Lord Vishnu on his chest. Lord Vishnu, who noticed the sage only then, fell at his feet saying that "I hope you were not hurt by kicking me," and pressed the sage's feet. He also plucked out the eye on the sage's feet. Maharishi Brighu was pleased with Lord Vishnu and blessed him that he was the most worthy of worship. (Some legends say that after leaving Vaikundha, he realised what he had done since now the power that blinded him - the eye - had gone. He repented for it by doing austerities and penances with a vow that if forgiven Devi Lakshmi must come to him as his daughter and kick his chest as his daughter would. So, Devi Lakshmi, when she forgave him, appeared as a baby girl whom he raised as his own daughter. She was known as Bhargavi.)

After the sage left, Devi Lakshmi, angry that her own husband fell at the feet of the person who dared to kick her (residence), left Vaikundha. Lord Vishnu pleaded with her not to go but she did not heed it.

To be continued . . .

Thank u Vibs for the elaborate story and for the rare beautiful snap of Shri Venkatesha👏

Thanks Lalitha for different version of story but my query still remain unanswered ...the movie I was talking about was: Shri Tirupati Venkateshwara Kalyanam released in 1979 with NTR and Jayasudha as Vishnu n Lakshmi respectively.

I wanted to know about the climax...where Lakshmi jumps off from a hill as a repentance and she takes the form of a baby lying in a lotus, then a muslim king adopts her...something like that.

Edited by ananyacool - 15 years ago
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

Wow, thanks for the story Vibs!👏⭐️ It is very interesting and all my doubts are now cleared. So Chaya Sita is really Vedavati?
And thanks a lot for the pic! You gave us the darshan of Shri Tirumala Venkatesa. Thank you soooo much!⭐️

You're welcome. 😊
Originally posted by Chandraketu

Vibs

Is this the story you're describing below?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bw50p2lGNE&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

Note: This is NOT one of my videos.

Yes, this is the one. Thanks for the video Chandraketu 😛
Originally posted by ananyacool

Thank u Vibs for the elaborate story and for the rare beautiful snap of Shri Venkatesha👏

Thanks Lalitha for different version of story but my query still remain unanswered ...the movie I was talking about was: Shri Tirupati Venkateshwara Kalyanam released in 1979 with NTR and Jayasudha as Vishnu n Lakshmi respectively.

I wanted to know about the climax...where Lakshmi jumps off from a hill as a repentance and she takes the form of a baby lying in a lotus, then a muslim king adopts her...something like that.

You're welcome.

I am not familiar with the story you have mentioned. Though, I know one thing. After the fall of the Hindu Kingdoms, the Muslim rulers of Karnataka took over the Temple which was later on taken over by the British. Some oral legends say that a Muslim king helped the construction or enhancement of the temple and his statue is also kept in the Temple. All I have seen in the temple were the statues of Krishnadeva Raya and his two consorts. I don't remember clearly if the statue of the Muslim King is also there. Some say that it was a Marathi general. Sorry for the vague information. Will try to find out more.