Sanjay Dutt banned from contesting elections

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Sanjay Dutt banned from contesting elections

Actor Sanjay Dutt who had planned to contest Lok Sabha elections from Lucknow for the Samajwadi Party has been banned by the Supreme Court. The Court also refused to suspend his conviction in a criminal case.

The Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan said they did not find the case strong enough to put a stay on his conviction. Dutt has been sentenced to six years in jail by a Mumbai anti-terror court hearing the 1993 serial blasts in the city.

As per electoral laws, a person convicted for a criminal offence and sentenced to jail for more than two years is barred from running for elections.

The Samajwadi Party headed by Amar Singh was sure of promoting Dutt as their candidate from Lucknow and had therefore already begun campaigning in the region. And this ruling will definitely put a dent in their ambitions.

However, Singh has also previously announced that if Dutt failed to receive relief from the Court, they would even look at Maanyata Dutt contesting the election for the SP (Samajwadi Party).

Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/March/News_20090331_162
Edited by Lubnavaishali - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
great news, thanks for sharing.
pksanam thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zareena

great news, thanks for sharing.

In which way Its great news ??? its a bad news

Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Lubnavaishali

<FONT color=#ff0000 size=4>In which way Its great news ??? its a bad news</FONT>

I don't like Sanjay dutt at all. From his interview, i find him complete different person.
swan20 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i'm glad  the court took this decision..........he has been convicted of a crime so doesn't deserve to contest the elections. I wish a law is passed where no criminal is allowed to join a political party......would be better for the country.
pksanam thumbnail

Originally posted by: Lubnavaishali

In which way Its great news ??? its a bad news

i think pragya has already mentioned the 'why'.. because apparently now Manyata might contest.. which is equally bad..!
Edited by pksanam - 15 years ago
lovanika thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I am sorry to saybut I am VER VERY Happy that he is not.

Sanjay - I love dhim BUT after what he came out and said about his sisters. The same sisters who were his pillar of strength thru out his wrong doings. To put Manyata on a pedestal and start a fight wiht his own sister for a woman who has been associated with men from underworld.

I am only worried that what Priya said should not come true - Priya said that it is Manayta's dream to be a  polictician. So maybe she knew that Sanjay who was charged in a case in TADA act will not be able to and then she will get to fight the election.😕

pksanam thumbnail
^^  unfortunately, i think you are right..!  now, we'll have to deal with Manyata.. gosh, i really DO NOT like her..!!!  
also, i concur your thoughts..!
One criminal less from politics. Hope now his wife doesn't get that seat. With Amar Singh around I am sure she would.