Page 1 of 5

Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 28 March 2009 at 4:14am | IP Logged
The reservation policy on the basis of caste that had been started since our independence persists even today. In these 50 odd yrs has it met its objective of providing a fair ground for those who had been discriminated against? Recently when this policy was extended to include reservation for the OBC in education as well as Jobs it lead to lot of heart burn & agitations all over the country till the Supreme court stepped in.
I wud like ur honest opinion on weather it has succeeded in improving the lot of ppl or do U feel that the real issue is being sidelined by the politicians .
Hope its taken in he right spirit. Didnt mean to offend any1

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is reservation the solution?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 28 March 2009 at 5:32am | IP Logged

Govt should consider Merits and Income level then give reservation......Noo need reservation for any religion/cast/gender or minority ......Political parties want to keep these kind of reservation cos they dont want loose the vote banks.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 29 March 2009 at 1:41am | IP Logged
yes the politicians R using it to their advantage. Little has been actually done to improve the social discrimination against these ppl. Even today there R temples that do not allow them entry, & I
just  read about existence of a separate cremation ground on the basis of caste.

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

The reservation policy on the basis of caste that had been started since our independence persists even today. In these 50 odd yrs has it met its objective of providing a fair ground for those who had been discriminated against? Recently when this policy was extended to include reservation for the OBC in education as well as Jobs it lead to lot of heart burn & agitations all over the country till the Supreme court stepped in.
I wud like ur honest opinion on weather it has succeeded in improving the lot of ppl or do U feel that the real issue is being sidelined by the politicians .
Hope its taken in he right spirit. Didnt mean to offend any1

well i think reservation in certain cases is necessary, but the bottomline or the main problem is again corruption , dishonesty , etc.

However, just a point i'd like to mention is that i'd love to see an education institute in india without any reservation whatsoever(which has the cream of the nation). There is no doubt about the fact that reservation dilutes the quality of educational institutes, due to which our institutes don't really have worldwide acclaim to that extent which is possible(not even IITs)

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by clodpolish

[However, just a point i'd like to mention is that i'd love to see an education institute in india without any reservation whatsoever(which has the cream of the nation). There is no doubt about the fact that reservation dilutes the quality of educational institutes, due to which our institutes don't really have worldwide acclaim to that extent which is possible(not even IITs)
The pvt educational inst in India dont hav to reserve any seats if I m not mistaken. & Yes reservation does dilute the quality.
So my question is shouldnt we rather B aiming to remove the conditions for which we brought in rservation in the 1st place rather than go on extending it for God knows how long. The Govt ought @ pay more attention in that area to remove the unfair disparities in society than taking the easy way out by reserving seats .Provide a fair ground across the society & do away with any reservation.

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:39am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

The pvt educational inst in India dont hav to reserve any seats if I m not mistaken. & Yes reservation does dilute the quality.
So my question is shouldnt we rather B aiming to remove the conditions for which we brought in rservation in the 1st place rather than go on extending it for God knows how long. The Govt ought @ pay more attention in that area to remove the unfair disparities in society than taking the easy way out by reserving seats .Provide a fair ground across the society & do away with any reservation.

i'd rather say first give the policy of reservation a fair chance. Our constitution makers must have had something in mind before forming this policy. However, there is no doubt about the fact that the policy has not been even implemented properly, and we are framing conclusions on poor implemention of policy rather than the policy itself ! Who knows that the policy if implemented properly , might lead to fruitful effects, but till it is implemented improperly, i'd rather say first perfect the implementation then talk about whether the policy is correct or notSmile

Regarding pvt institutes, who cares about them ?LOL

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:52am | IP Logged
After more than half a century still no proper implementation !!! 
 Our constitution makers surely must have expected the disparities to have disappeared in this time ! I m sure that must have been the objective. To give some concessions for unequal conditions faced in society - to enable ppl to come at par - then do away with the concessions provided & have  healthy competition .
But obviously this hasnt been achieved yet ! The policy of reservation hasnt been implemented in spirit . Its only increasing the divide though for diff reasons now.
Cant we have a time frame where we work towards social equality so that there remains no need for any reservation at all. Surely that must have been the obj of the constitution makers

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:50pm | IP Logged
Nope, reservation is preferential treatment. Once we justify preferential treatment to compensate for past harms we open up an endless loop.

If someone's socioeconomic status makes them less likely to have a good education or work training, then invest in bringing them up to speed, do not lower the standards and push them through.

Think of it would you think its OK to lower safety standards on a car because the company has tough times or be forced to buy a brand to make up a car diversity quota.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top