Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

hot babe

hot babe

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 5:22am | IP Logged
we had a debate in college yesterday in law (wasn't really relevant to law but its 99% girls class) one of the girls said it was right that a person should judge their partner in terms of ability and disability because having a partner with a disability may lead to them having disabled children in the future. She also said those with a disability should have a gene map done by their local doctors and if there was a high risk of their children being born disabled then they shouldn't have kids.

well being a female with a disability (SMA type 3) i felt like killing her but later on after thinking about it with a cool head i realised that she wasn't 100% wrong she did have a point, but then my subjectiveness came into it and it feltwrong to agree with her (sorry in babbling here). alot of ppl in my class disagreed with her and a few agreed with her
so my questions are
1) Do you think that diasbled people should have the gene map done to see it their children will have a disability,
2) if their children do have a high risk of being disabled do you think they should be allowed to have kids or do you think they should adopt/foster
3) do you think its unfair to say that just because a person is disabled s/he shouldn't have kids

sorry if it offends some ppl, i have no intention especially when i am disabled as well

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "do u think its wrong 4 ppl to choose their partner" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

jassu_rugged

jassu_rugged

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged
No shit sherlock, the girl needs her head tested.

This is the beginning of the age of machines, as we know it. Everything is so mechanical that even our thoughts are filtered through logistics, equations and flow charts. We might also start using filtered sperm to reduce birth defects. Everything we need should be perfect, shining from top to bottom. What people are forgetting is the real meaning of the word perfect.

jagdu

IF-Dazzler

jagdu

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged
Excellant question. Anything to do with the disabled is.
An opinion is an opinion. No expletives pleaseShocked? Obviously the girl who made the comment is thinking all normal people.
1) Why not? Don't pregnant women undergo a scan to find out if the child is a boy or a girl? Is that discriminatory? Curiosity did not kill the cat.
2) Yes they should be allowed to have kids. Children are our future and bring joy to families. Not all people are blessed with children. We know parents of disabled children who are happy and give their all to bring up the child.
3) There's something called choice. Disabled people have intelligence as well. Parenting is a huge responsibility, and the two must be ready to be parents and want the child.
One likens the question to be similar to single people. Lots of single parents chose to have children and that's not abnormal. And many chose not to.

Sujal_Fan_No1

Goldie

Sujal_Fan_No1

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hot babe

we had a debate in college yesterday in law (wasn't really relevant to law but its 99% girls class) one of the girls said it was right that a person should judge their partner in terms of ability and disability because having a partner with a disability may lead to them having disabled children in the future. She also said those with a disability should have a gene map done by their local doctors and if there was a high risk of their children being born disabled then they shouldn't have kids.

well being a female with a disability (SMA type 3) i felt like killing her but later on after thinking about it with a cool head i realised that she wasn't 100% wrong she did have a point, but then my subjectiveness came into it and it feltwrong to agree with her (sorry in babbling here). alot of ppl in my class disagreed with her and a few agreed with her
so my questions are
1) Do you think that diasbled people should have the gene map done to see it their children will have a disability,
2) if their children do have a high risk of being disabled do you think they should be allowed to have kids or do you think they should adopt/foster
3) do you think its unfair to say that just because a person is disabled s/he shouldn't have kids

sorry if it offends some ppl, i have no intention especially when i am disabled as well

Has the girl thought about getting her head checked???

Just coz ppl have a disability doesnt mean that they should not be able to have children. ppl cant help who they decide they want as a life partner if they truely love the person, the disability wouldnt really matter in my opinion.

Desii_Girl

Desii_Girl

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged
   I agree with the above ... our minds are now thinking like machiness    I think just because the parent is disabled doesnt mean that the child will be .. first of all were your parents disabled ? well im guessing no and sorry if im goin to personal just tryin to prove my point   what i mean is that some couples have disabled children and nothing is wrong with the parents.. there can be alot of reasons like diabitetes, cancer etc (even though many ppl survive from cancer))   well there can just be other reasons that lead to disabilites not parents   I TOTALLY disagree with her it wont affect the child at ALL!!!!!!!!!   and first of all dont worry about it or think about it the more yu believe the more likely it will become true

well that was my point of view -- ( IT wont affect the child)) also what if the parent got into an accident when he /she was a child or older
having that disabilty wont affect at all well i guess nothing will!!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged

1) Do you think that diasbled people should have the gene map done to see it their children will have a disability. Everyone should have a gene map done. I think people forget that certain genetic defects skip generations so healthy people are more likely to give birth to children with disabilities.Also certain genes are recessive and dominant. If one partners genes are dominant over the other partners disability gene then the chances of disability are lower. Sometimes the genetic mix of two healthy people is toxic.
2) if their children do have a high risk of being disabled do you think they should be allowed to have kids or do you think they should adopt/foster. Think about it would you want to give birth to a child prone to a painful long term illness and watch them suffer. Non lethal defects are a personal choice, but when it comes to lethal or painful defects then any parent should choose adoption right. My personal opinion is why create another suffering life when you can eliminate a suffering life. Note my opinions are not related to disabled people, but to birth defects in general.
3) do you think its unfair to say that just because a person is disabled s/he shouldn't have kids. Yes, that thought is stupid and irrationally founded. Its not just immoral ethically but ridiculous in terms of species preservation too. Although I would not mind laws prohibiting psycho octuplet moms or crack *** from spawning.

On a different thought some people say I am emotionally crippled and not worth time and effort. Its fair enough. LOL

jassu_rugged

jassu_rugged

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 10:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

On a different thought some people say I am emotionally crippled and not worth time and effort. Its fair enough. LOL

Clap

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 24 March 2009 at 11:08pm | IP Logged
Hey after reading the title I thot this topic was about choosing ur partner or having the partner dumped on U . LOL Anyway coming to ur questn

Disability is a very broad term that includes a number of different conditions .Only some disabilities that R genetically determined R inheritable . & like RTH mentioned above these genetic traits can skip generations . So gene maping can B taken up as a precaution by all ppl irrespective of being disabled or not.

The choice whether to have children who have high probability of being born disabled rests with the  individuals . Help of a professional genetic counsellor  shud B sought to get the proper facts .It is for the parents to decide whether they R ready for the trials in  bring up a child with disability or wud they prefer to face the challenges in bringing up an adopted child. Bringing up any child for that matter is a big challenge anyway.

I think the replies to first 2 questn also reply the 3rd . There are many instances of so called disabled ppl bringing up their kids very well Smile

sorry if it offends some ppl, i have no intention especially when i am disabled as well Why shud any1 B ofended ?

Post Reply New Post

Go to top