Chit Chat

Rant of the week#2: Amir Khan's comments @ SRK (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 6

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 19 March 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Rant of the week#2: Amir Khan's comments @ SRK (Page 4)" in Chit Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelstar2013

IF-Dazzler

angelstar2013

Posted: 19 March 2009 at 2:31pm | IP Logged
well if aamir said that he is not the ONLY king of bollywood
then i would agree and anyway media has a habit of making a mountain out of a mole hillDead

no offenceSmile

Edited by angelstar09 - 19 March 2009 at 2:35pm

~Deep~

IF-Stunnerz

~Deep~

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 4:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by anon

Thanks guys for responses will read soon, am hella busy

Originally posted by ~Deep~

Ok, so the person starting this topic is obviousily a SRK fan and not really that into Aamir Khan.. LOLLOL

Nope, not a 'fan' - Tbh i am not a fan of any actor really....but please attack the debate not the person Wink

I guess end of day folks, its about whether you prefer SRK or Amir but i just personally think AK should conceNtrate on his own work rather than slating others....but yes i do believe that SRK is better but its not about either of them take away their names and its about what one said to another and IMO there was not a need to say such things. Yes always it is made hyperbolic by media but aside all that one should concentrate on his or hers own work.

Did not mean to attack you, sorry if I did offend you.. I think I'm just used to reading starting topics as very genreal and not really taking a clear side.. Yours was quite obvious.. LOL

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 1:41pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by -Mystery-

I don't know if it's jealousy or what but seriously what does AK want to prove? That he's the King Khan? Sorry  I have to disagree.  I have not been the greatest fan of SRK although now I do like him a lot more than any of the other Khans, but the truth is the truth.  I am not denying that AK is a good actor but SRK is the best actor I have seen around in Bollywood in a while.  He puts his heart and soul into his characters and it's apparent when you watch his movies.

You're calling youor own opinion as the truth. Tongue And btw, every actor puts his heart and soul in his work. No one joins the industry to fail. Some of them may not be so good at acting but all of them do try their hardest. So,if you please can you name one actor who just does films for the sake of it and doesn't really care whether it succeeds or not.

Well, sure it can be my opinion but that's the truth according to me.  Embarrassed I have to disagree.  I don't see how all the actors put their heart and soul in their work.  Some just act for the heck of it, just as any other profession.  But SRK takes his films really seriously. All of his characters are just amazing!  And he doesn't do a year long research on his characters, so they are entirely his creation (Not entirely because the writer plays a huge part but I mean on screen portrayal of the character). 

I loved him in RNBDJ and his DDLJ has completed 700 weeks in theatre.  So let's hear AK's comments on that..... Which one of his movies has done that?

First of all there are many who thought RNBDJ was a crap movie. Secondly, let's not confuse between popularity and quality. Obviously DDLJ had a good performance from SRK - Kajol, but the film became popular more because of the entertainment factor provided by the whole script.
If you measure by that 700 weeks yeardstick then all movies have to be declared as crap compared to DDLJ. Do you really think that's the scenario??

That's why I said "I loved him in RNBDJ." If people didn't like it, that's their opinion, but then I can mention many other movies by AK that I absolutely hated, but they may have been huge hits.  Does that take away from the popularity of those movies? No, exactly.  Secondly, yeah definitely I am not giving all the credit of DDLJ's success to SRK but he was a major part of it.  That was just an example.  Doesn't mean that all the other movies that haven't compelted 700 weeks are not good.  Kabhi khushi kabhi gham hasn't and it's one of my favorite movies. It was just an example. 

Again, I have nothing against AK but I do like SRK a lot more than him.  I don't think that AK wanted to attack SRK.  If you read the whole article it's not as bad as it sounds.

Well reporters will always spice things up, that's what they get paid for. So, headlines doesn't represent even half the truth. 

Exactly!

And AK has his own opinion.  So I don't have any problem with that.  If he thinks SRK is not the King Khan then that's his problem and his opinion and if a million other people think that SRK is the King Khan then it's their problem and their opinion.  In my case, I respect both.

That makes sense.

Thanks!

And as far as SRK's fights with other actors like Mr. Amitabh Bachchan and Salman Khan are concerned, then a lot of it is media hype.  I mean seriously who really has time to go around and fight with every other person.  And as far as Salman is concerned, he fights with so many other people as well so if SRK is also on his list - big deal!

Ohh... actually people have a very short memory. They see and comment on things in front of them. A year down the line if SRK retaliates, everyone will be talking about how SRK is attacking Aamir Khan. Fact is SRK has done it on a no. of occassions and most of the times unprovoked. One I remember is around 2000 - 01, when Hrithik Roshan was just beginning to become popular. SRK commented something to the effect of that he has seen a lot of one film wonder or something (I don't remember the exact quote). Now, what did HR do to him??

I can't quite comment on that because I did not hear/read about the comment.  So I don't know the details.  You have to realize that a lot of it is people's fault as well.  Even if there's a new person or someone gives a hit the first thing people say is "SRK is doomed!" I mean seriously! I remember when Shahid Kapoor entered Bollywood everyone was like now SRK will be gone… Now why do you expect him to take all of that with a smile? He is a person after all.  However, I am not defending SRK for everything he does.  I have also been offended by some things he said and I will not by any means defend him for that just because I like him. But does anyone remember what AK named his dog? Shahrukh as far as I can remember, right? Now wasn't that childish?  This doesn't lessen SRK's importance, just shows how insecure AK was.   That's one of the worst things I have seen an educated person doing, SRK hasn't done/said anything closely immature as that.

Long and short of it is that any such statements from AK or anyone don't lessen SRK's popularity and his worth.  He is one of the best actor and that's not shown only through the awards he has been given but also with the fact that he is the MOST popular person on earth even more popular than Brad and Tom Cruise.

Obama is currently very popular in US. So, he is the greatest human being America ever produced. Osama is very popular among terrorists, so he is the best person in the world. Himesh Reshammiya is very popular, so he is the best singer at the moment. Rajneekanth is very popular in South India and Japan, so he is the best actor.
SRK is a great performer no doubt but his popularity is not an indication of anything except for the fact that he knows how to charm his audience and makes lots of money for that.

And you're telling me that none of the other actors know how to charm their audiences? Well, then they are in the wrong profession, I suppose.  Another reason why SRK is so popular is because he is friendly with his audience.  He's not like one of those stars who would rather have their fans a thousand feet away from them.  He calls them on stage and performs with them, and that's how he makes more of a place in his fans hearts.  And I have never seen him in real life, I have never been to any of his shows yet I do like him more than any other actor in Bollywood today. I am sure that's true for many other people.  So his charm on screen only has won my heart.

Anyways, as I said above I don't defend SRK for everything he does.  He is a person and he makes mistakes, everyone does.  But I just hope that the actors pay more attention to their movies then bashing others around them.

-Mahi

souro

souro

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged

I don't know if it's jealousy or what but seriously what does AK want to prove? That he's the King Khan? Sorry  I have to disagree.  I have not been the greatest fan of SRK although now I do like him a lot more than any of the other Khans, but the truth is the truth.  I am not denying that AK is a good actor but SRK is the best actor I have seen around in Bollywood in a while.  He puts his heart and soul into his characters and it's apparent when you watch his movies.

You're calling youor own opinion as the truth. Tongue And btw, every actor puts his heart and soul in his work. No one joins the industry to fail. Some of them may not be so good at acting but all of them do try their hardest. So,if you please can you name one actor who just does films for the sake of it and doesn't really care whether it succeeds or not.

Well, sure it can be my opinion but that's the truth according to me.  Embarrassed

That's the key word ain't it 'according to me'. Please decide what we should take for arguments sake, that it's just according to you or is it the truth?? Tongue

I have to disagree. I don't see how all the actors put their heart and soul in their work.  Some just act for the heck of it, just as any other profession.

If you disagree then please prove it too. Tongue

But SRK takes his films really seriously. All of his characters are just amazing!  And he doesn't do a year long research on his characters, so they are entirely his creation (Not entirely because the writer plays a huge part but I mean on screen portrayal of the character).

Do you mean to say that doing a lot of research on a character that one is going to portray is not actually desirable?? Tongue
I loved him in RNBDJ and his DDLJ has completed 700 weeks in theatre.  So let's hear AK's comments on that..... Which one of his movies has done that?

First of all there are many who thought RNBDJ was a crap movie. Secondly, let's not confuse between popularity and quality. Obviously DDLJ had a good performance from SRK - Kajol, but the film became popular more because of the entertainment factor provided by the whole script.
If you measure by that 700 weeks yeardstick then all movies have to be declared as crap compared to DDLJ. Do you really think that's the scenario??

That's why I said "I loved him in RNBDJ." If people didn't like it, that's their opinion, but then I can mention many other movies by AK that I absolutely hated, but they may have been huge hits.  Does that take away from the popularity of those movies? No, exactly.

Of course you're entitled to your opinions, I never denied that. Tongue

Secondly, yeah definitely I am not giving all the credit of DDLJ's success to SRK but he was a major part of it. That was just an example.  Doesn't mean that all the other movies that haven't compelted 700 weeks are not good.  Kabhi khushi kabhi gham hasn't and it's one of my favorite movies. It was just an example. 
But you did cite the example of DDLJ running for 700 weeks. Tongue
And btw... of course actors play a very significant role in a film's success. But if a movie is running for 700 weeks then it's not because of the individual brilliance of SRK because if that was the case then logically other films of SRK should also have ran for 700 weeks or atleast close, say 100 weeks. None did. So doesn't that prove that DDLJ running for 700 weeks in Maratha Mandir in morning show has much more to do with several other factors rather than just SRK.

And as far as SRK's fights with other actors like Mr. Amitabh Bachchan and Salman Khan are concerned, then a lot of it is media hype.  I mean seriously who really has time to go around and fight with every other person.  And as far as Salman is concerned, he fights with so many other people as well so if SRK is also on his list - big deal!

Ohh... actually people have a very short memory. They see and comment on things in front of them. A year down the line if SRK retaliates, everyone will be talking about how SRK is attacking Aamir Khan. Fact is SRK has done it on a no. of occassions and most of the times unprovoked. One I remember is around 2000 - 01, when Hrithik Roshan was just beginning to become popular. SRK commented something to the effect of that he has seen a lot of one film wonder or something (I don't remember the exact quote). Now, what did HR do to him??

I can't quite comment on that because I did not hear/read about the comment.  So I don't know the details.  You have to realize that a lot of it is people's fault as well.  Even if there's a new person or someone gives a hit the first thing people say is "SRK is doomed!" I mean seriously! I remember when Shahid Kapoor entered Bollywood everyone was like now SRK will be gone' Now why do you expect him to take all of that with a smile? He is a person after all.  However, I am not defending SRK for everything he does.  I have also been offended by some things he said and I will not by any means defend him for that just because I like him. But does anyone remember what AK named his dog? Shahrukh as far as I can remember, right? Now wasn't that childish?  This doesn't lessen SRK's importance, just shows how insecure AK was.   That's one of the worst things I have seen an educated person doing, SRK hasn't done/said anything closely immature as that.

See that's what I meant by people having a short memory. Tongue
Well as for your argument that SRK is a person afterall and so gets the liberty to make not so pleasant remarks about other actors then as I said earlier, if someone dishes out the same to him then it can be hardly called as unfair. Tongue

Long and short of it is that any such statements from AK or anyone don't lessen SRK's popularity and his worth.  He is one of the best actor and that's not shown only through the awards he has been given but also with the fact that he is the MOST popular person on earth even more popular than Brad and Tom Cruise.

Obama is currently very popular in US. So, he is the greatest human being America ever produced. Osama is very popular among terrorists, so he is the best person in the world. Himesh Reshammiya is very popular, so he is the best singer at the moment. Rajneekanth is very popular in South India and Japan, so he is the best actor.
SRK is a great performer no doubt but his popularity is not an indication of anything except for the fact that he knows how to charm his audience and makes lots of money for that.

And you're telling me that none of the other actors know how to charm their audiences? Well, then they are in the wrong profession, I suppose.

Did I say that?? Please don't assume things. Tongue I'm saying that any actor who has a decent fan following, knows how to charm the audience. But fan following or some farcical Indian awards doesn't mean that the actor is the best in acting as you suggested. See, no assumption on my part, just explaining what you said in your own words. Tongue
Btw, if you want to judge actual acting skills on awards, then look at the Indian National Film Award, which is awarded more on merit of acting. Smile

Another reason why SRK is so popular is because he is friendly with his audience.  He's not like one of those stars who would rather have their fans a thousand feet away from them.  He calls them on stage and performs with them, and that's how he makes more of a place in his fans hearts.  And I have never seen him in real life, I have never been to any of his shows yet I do like him more than any other actor in Bollywood today. I am sure that's true for many other people.  So his charm on screen only has won my heart.

Don't really know what you're trying to prove here.

Anyways, as I said above I don't defend SRK for everything he does.  He is a person and he makes mistakes, everyone does.  But I just hope that the actors pay more attention to their movies then bashing others around them.

I agree with that they should stop their childish behaviour and concentrate on their work (acting & movies) but the same should apply to SRK too. Tongue

-Mahi

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged

Well, sure it can be my opinion but that's the truth according to me.  Embarrassed

That's the key word ain't it 'according to me'. Please decide what we should take for arguments sake, that it's just according to you or is it the truth?? Tongue

Some truths are subjective.  How do you want to prove which actor is better? Isn't it really related to the fans and the actor's individual movies? Maybe one actor acts really well in one movie but not so much in the other and same applies to other actors.  You can say AK is the best and I will say SRK is the best but then who really decides what's right? Embarrassed That's what I meant by the truth.  The truth (according to me) is that SRK is the best actor around today but you may think that's not true.  It's not like 2+2 has to equal 4 and no there is no other way around it.

I have to disagree. I don't see how all the actors put their heart and soul in their work.  Some just act for the heck of it, just as any other profession.

If you disagree then please prove it too. Tongue

Well I don't see how Imran Hashmi puts his heart and soul into his movies.  And if he does then except maybe in Awarapan I didn't see anything good about his acting.  Same goes for Himesh Reshamiya, I don't think he sincerely gives an attempt to acting, if he does, then it never touches my heart.  I am sorry if I offended any of their fans - that was not my intent and exactly why I was refraining from taking any names. But to get my point across, I had to take names.  I think when a person acts technically and keeping everything in mind then that gets processed in the audience's minds but if an actor acts with his/her heart then that gets processed in the audience's hearts.  And SRK definitely touches my heart.

But SRK takes his films really seriously. All of his characters are just amazing!  And he doesn't do a year long research on his characters, so they are entirely his creation (Not entirely because the writer plays a huge part but I mean on screen portrayal of the character).

Do you mean to say that doing a lot of research on a character that one is going to portray is not actually desirable?? Tongue

No, actually that was not my point.  What I was trying to say that the reason I have more respect for SRK is that his characters are entirely his (and the writer's as said above).  Of course research is good and if you are working on a movie like Black (and Rani did do a lot of research) then it does become almost mandatory. 

That's why I said "I loved him in RNBDJ." If people didn't like it, that's their opinion, but then I can mention many other movies by AK that I absolutely hated, but they may have been huge hits.  Does that take away from the popularity of those movies? No, exactly.

Of course you're entitled to your opinions, I never denied that. Tongue

So is everyone else, and I never denied that. Embarrassed

Secondly, yeah definitely I am not giving all the credit of DDLJ's success to SRK but he was a major part of it. That was just an example.  Doesn't mean that all the other movies that haven't compelted 700 weeks are not good.  Kabhi khushi kabhi gham hasn't and it's one of my favorite movies. It was just an example.

But you did cite the example of DDLJ running for 700 weeks. Tongue
And btw... of course actors play a very significant role in a film's success. But if a movie is running for 700 weeks then it's not because of the individual brilliance of SRK because if that was the case then logically other films of SRK should also have ran for 700 weeks or atleast close, say 100 weeks. None did. So doesn't that prove that DDLJ running for 700 weeks in Maratha Mandir in morning show has much more to do with several other factors rather than just SRK.

I did say other factors are important, but SRK is also one of the main factors.  Smile Put anyone else for Raj's character and I am sure no one will be able to create that Raj-Simran magic as SRK-Kajol did and that is a big factor to the movie's success.  Secondly, the fact that a movie is still running in theatres after 700 weeks does prove that it is a good movie if nothing else.  It may not prove that it's the best but it's a huge credit that goes into SRK's account (along with all the other people involved with the movie).

I can't quite comment on that because I did not hear/read about the comment.  So I don't know the details.  You have to realize that a lot of it is people's fault as well.  Even if there's a new person or someone gives a hit the first thing people say is "SRK is doomed!" I mean seriously! I remember when Shahid Kapoor entered Bollywood everyone was like now SRK will be gone' Now why do you expect him to take all of that with a smile? He is a person after all.  However, I am not defending SRK for everything he does.  I have also been offended by some things he said and I will not by any means defend him for that just because I like him. But does anyone remember what AK named his dog? Shahrukh as far as I can remember, right? Now wasn't that childish?  This doesn't lessen SRK's importance, just shows how insecure AK was.   That's one of the worst things I have seen an educated person doing, SRK hasn't done/said anything closely immature as that.

See that's what I meant by people having a short memory. Tongue
Well as for your argument that SRK is a person afterall and so gets the liberty to make not so pleasant remarks about other actors then as I said earlier, if someone dishes out the same to him then it can be hardly called as unfair. Tongue

I don't have a short memory, I just never heard about that.  And there is a biiig difference between the two.  Tongue  I didn't say it was unfair.  I said it was wrong and shows your immature side.  And if I come across any such remarks by SRK, I would never defend him.  But I would say the same thing for him as well. 

And you're telling me that none of the other actors know how to charm their audiences? Well, then they are in the wrong profession, I suppose.

Did I say that?? Please don't assume things. Tongue I'm saying that any actor who has a decent fan following, knows how to charm the audience. But fan following or some farcical Indian awards doesn't mean that the actor is the best in acting as you suggested. See, no assumption on my part, just explaining what you said in your own words. Tongue
Btw, if you want to judge actual acting skills on awards, then look at the Indian National Film Award, which is awarded more on merit of acting. Smile

Well you did say that "
his popularity is not an indication of anything except for the fact that he knows how to charm his audience and makes lots of money for that."  And so it apparently does mean that if the other actors are not as popular in the world then they don't know how to charm their audience, which is what now you are saying is not true. These actors are in Bollywood and they are not there to get critical aclaim.  If I am not wrong then they always yearn for audience support and acceptance.  Bollywood is above all an entertainment industry and it's role is to entertain people.  If you are really technically the best actor, no one cares if you can't impress your audience.  But to me the more the acting touches your heart, and the more you want to watch the person is enough criteria to be a good actor.  Others might not agree but then again I can only speak for myself.

Another reason why SRK is so popular is because he is friendly with his audience.  He's not like one of those stars who would rather have their fans a thousand feet away from them.  He calls them on stage and performs with them, and that's how he makes more of a place in his fans hearts.  And I have never seen him in real life, I have never been to any of his shows yet I do like him more than any other actor in Bollywood today. I am sure that's true for many other people.  So his charm on screen only has won my heart.

Don't really know what you're trying to prove here.

That he's a good actor Tongue

I agree with that they should stop their childish behaviour and concentrate on their work (acting & movies) but the same should apply to SRK too. Tongue

Sure it does, and I totally agree with that.  It applies to SRK and everyone else, and if SRK says something like that I'll surely point out the fact that he's wrong.  But here we are discussing AK's comments about SRK.

-Mahi

Wow, this is getting wicked long.  Again the long and short of it is that we all are entitled to our opinions. Ultimately no one is going to succeed in doing anything but defending his/her own opinion.

So I'll stop here by just saying that above are my comments and my thoughts.  You might disagree and I respect it as much as I respect my own opinion.

-Mahi

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shellytt

Hi all I've new to this forum, but the topic was too inticing not to voice an opinion.

I agree with the rant. Its time that actors (not just Aamir) put aside childish behaviours and start acting like the mature individuals that they profess to be. I will freely admit that I am an SRK fan. (And though It pains me to admit this, I'm not that young either to be blinded by looks and not qualityWinkLOLLOL) I also admit that AK is a very talented actor, however, AK off screen attitudes and statements make it very difficult for me to genuinely like him.

What attitude you may ask? Well for one, his seeming belief that he seems to be the one and only actor out there whose focus is on quality roles and not commercial success. His "media shyness" is viewed by me as just an arrogant and standoffish stance. His failure to attend award shows such as Filmfare because he doesn't belive in the institution. He seems to forget that these award shows are not there to fulfil your own egos but to show apprecication for your peers. You are not the only good actor out there AK!

The argument tht SRK may seem to be in the middle of alot of these debacles, just proves one thing, that when you are perceived as the best there will always be detractors wanted to bring you down, because you are in that position. Have you ever heard SRK being the first one to publicly instigate these fueds? If you have a problem with the man, the media is never the appropriate place to voice those issues. Be a man and speak face to face, don't be a coward and make veiled remarks to ridicule and undermine your opponent through a third party media, where you can always fall back and say I was misinterpreted when the tide of public opinion goes against you.

Now admit, that SRK has had his fair shar of comments against stars in the media, however (and correct me if I'm wrong) but he is rarely the one to instigate  this war of words. Ideally, he should let sleeping dogs lie and not retaliate, which I do believe is what he eventually does.

And lastly, awhile ago there seemed to be this big fued with Amitabh Bachan and SRK, however, I just looked at the Filmfare awards, and it seemed to me that in spite of the media war that seemed to be permeating between the two, SRK AND AB seemed pretty friendly , with SRK even publicly thanking AB for his support during his recent surgery.

Now that shows an individual who has his priorities in the right place. When was the last time your heard AK say thank you to someone, without having to be prompted to?

Please don't take offense anyone, this is just my opinion.

Hi Shelly!! I totally agree with a whole lot of points you have made!!  Very well said!

-Mahi

souro

souro

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged

Wow, this is getting wicked long.  Again the long and short of it is that we all are entitled to our opinions. Ultimately no one is going to succeed in doing anything but defending his/her own opinion.

So I'll stop here by just saying that above are my comments and my thoughts.  You might disagree and I respect it as much as I respect my own opinion.

-Mahi

Since you don't want to carry on any longer, just want to make myself clear, even I didn't exactly like Aamir's recent comments. Tongue But I think SRK should also stop trying to put down others cos otherwise sooner or later someone is bound to retaliate. I know that doesn't make the other person right, but still it's like calling such remarks upon oneself. And if Aamir actually named his pet dog Shahrukh, then well I really think that's a very lowly act.

Btw... am not a fan of either one of them nor any other actor. And lastly it was nice sparring with you. Big smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top