Kollywood Masala

Movie Reviews - Kanchivaram

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago

Review - Kanchivaram

Star-casts: Prakash Raj, Shreya Reddy, Shamu and others.
Production: Shailendra Singh
Direction: Priyadarshan
Music: M.G. Sree Kumar

Ah! It's really surprising watching a filmmaker who used to make merely the best flicks remade badly into Hindi. Yeah! Priyadarshan happens to be an auteur who till now hasn't been successful remaking at least one film on the row and that's more illustrious with his recent release 'Billu' remake of Malayalam Super Hit 'Katha Parayum Pol'. On the pars, he had persistently made some path-breaking flicks like 'Kaala Paani'. Perhaps, you may enter theaters for watching this film with mixed expectations and when the show is over, you should be spellbound with this stunning piece of work.

The film set at the backdrops of pre-independence era in Kanchivaram, it's about Vengadam (Prakash Raj), a good silk weaver in town. He vows to his small girl child that he would weave a fantastic Silk Saree for her marriage. Of course, everyone in the town consider this to be the hot topic as in those days it isn't an easy deal to weave a silk saree for a poor weaver as it's so expensive. Although, he saves the money, his brother in law shatters them down with his evil mind. Then with no options left, he starts stealing strands of silk from his workplace and for a greater surprise, even after 19 years, he isn't able to complete his task. Meanwhile, he is involved in communism and starts hosting strikes that eventually closes down the workplace. Now, with his daughter's marriage nearing, he has to complete weaving the silk saree by stealing the strands. On the pars, he shouldn't give up his idealisms.

So, would he be a lovable father or a proud communist forms crux of the story with a heart-binding climax.

Technical aspects have been splendidly handled. Be it Thiru's trenchant cinematography that makes you feel the film is really mind-boggling. Sabu Cyril's art direction of an ancient era sways with top-notching qualities. With accordance to good screenplay of past and present, the editing work has been carried on with best traits. M.G. Sree Kumar's musical score is another pearl embellished to the precious jewel.

Getting on with performance, Prakash Raj as Vengadam has donned a powerful role unforeseen in any films. Be it his expressions of emoting to various situations of his child's birth, death; He sweeps us off with great work. Shreya Reddy should really wait for more prestigious honors for her stupefying role. Rest of the star-casts has done justice to their roles.

On the whole, though 'Kanchivaram' may not be commercially fitting for good collections, it's a worth watch film by every audiences that's how you express your respect for a good piece of work.

But, don't take the words of Priyadarshan as he said 'My film is far best than Slumdog Millionaire and I am wondering why Indians are uplifting that film and not mine'.

Bottom - Line: Marvelous Piece of Work

Verdict: Good and Close-to-Heart

source : kollywood.net

Have any of you guys  watced this movie...?? I think it was released on the net for long time back coz it was screened in a filmfestival😊. Its one of the best movies by Priyadarsan and I am glad to see him choosing a realistic subject than usually his  hindi comedies😆

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mellisai thumbnail

Thanks for the review meli! Amazing film, all the good reasons to watch this movie are mentioned in review.

Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I heard from another reviewer that the film is excellent.

But I am soooooooooo 😡. Why do these clowns keep comparing themselves to SM??? AARRRGGH!!!! AARRRGGH!!! AARRGGHH!!!
kadhambari thumbnail
I saw this movie & Prakashraj's acting z excellent & i liked the movie..............but i dunno abt the rest.............it didnt have any commercial aspects in it...........it is truly a realistic movie................It is very touching & im emotionally moved in some scenes.
Caryn thumbnail
If I am going to watch this movie, it will because of Prakashraj.  If he acted esp as main, then nothing will go wrong, coz he can pull together.

Another idiot who thinks full of himself!  First ask if he can come to the par of Manirathnam, Balachander etc.  (Oops..... how silly of me to put him in the same category as these famous directors)  He doesn't even come to the par of some new directors and their movies, he thinks his movie is better than SD?? Please Mr. Priyadashan get a life.🤢🤢🤢

All he does is copy movies from other languages.  Mr. Priyadashan, if you could get a good book and direct a movie based on this movie, just like DB did, without fights and all the craps which is usually given, then you can compete with SD.

Anyway Meli kaanu, thanks for the reviews.

Edited by Caryn - 15 years ago
netra_rama thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: kadhambari

I saw this movie & Prakashraj's acting z excellent & i liked the movie..............but i dunno abt the rest.............it didnt have any commercial aspects in it...........it is truly a realistic movie................It is very touching & im emotionally moved in some scenes.

Agreed with ambi, Prakash raj did excellent here 👏👏👍🏼 Story was ok but not soo real. Niway caryn, will pass u the dvd when i meet u next daa 😳😉 thanks pine for the updates!!
nithya_IF thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for the review meli..