Debate Mansion

Most overrated / underrated profession is? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 5

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 5
Page 5 Page 5

yyyy

IF-Dazzler

yyyy

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 1:05pm | IP Logged
Most Overrated profession- Medicine,Engineering .

Underrated- Homemaker...ppl don't even consider this as a profession...at least when u work outside you will have Sundays to relax,national holidays,sick leave,CL etc but a home maker has to work 24/7....

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Most overrated / underrated profession is? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Super-Computer

Groupbie

Super-Computer

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged

Computer engineer

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Most underrated - the service industry

After the Baby P case, I no longer think so.

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by persistence

Originally posted by pink_lashes

Originally posted by persistence

Thank God! Some one wrote about engineers. I think engineering is under-rated. Perhaps not respected as a profession.

Im guessing most people dont prefer math based professions, engineering is the mother of maths and prehaps more difficult to medicine and law, but it seems to interest men only & after studying engineering myself i analysed most students dropping out due to the amount of maths and formula they had to deal with.

I don't know if people are dropping out because of the math. But I do know that engineering isn't taught well. A lot of people think of engineering mind as plug-and-chug into mathematical formulae. The beauty (at least for me) lies in science, problem-solving in ambiguity and interplay of disciplines. I think medicine and lawyers have it better/easier.... lawyers get to do mock trials (??) while studying; doctors get to practice medicine while they are studying(??). Both are seen on tv (boston legal , ER, scrubs, law and order, etc) with drama. I haven't seen a tv show on engineers yet.LOL Nor do engineers get to practice until they go out and find an internship. Engineering work is so hidden. ConfusedSo engineering is under-rated.

I think teachers are under-payed.Big smile

Considering most of them earn the average wage and they get like 3+ months of holidays..I don't think they are underpayed at all.

Sorry guys but since when is engineering underated in the desi community? All I ever hear about is how their kids are going in to dentirstry/medicine/engineering/lawyer.OuchBusiness/economics getting pretty popular these days with us too. :)

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged
Judging from the replies posted in this topic, I conclude that the career that I am in or hope to pursue is underrated, and the career that you are in or hope to pursue is overrated.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 16 June 2009 at 9:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I was not referring to social services specifically - just service in general - like food service, janitorial service, management service, customer service all combined. Just the grumpy old person behind the counter begrudgingly greeting us, perhaps a waitress spitting in our coffee - but the truth is life as we know it would not exist without the service industry.

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 1:43am | IP Logged

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I was not referring to social services specifically - just service in general - like food service, janitorial service, management service, customer service all combined. Just the grumpy old person behind the counter begrudgingly greeting us, perhaps a waitress spitting in our coffee - but the truth is life as we know it would not exist without the service industry.

True but isn't that the same with almost any industry? Life wouldn't be the same without doctors/engineers/lawyers etc either..
If i'm honest, then the service sector isn't always the most friendly and sadly not all of them even manage a fake smile while talking to customers.
Oh and sorry for the mix up RTH, serivce sector in the UK is generally known as the NHS, social services, HMRC etc.Embarrassed

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 7:02am | IP Logged
i guess the work of cameraman is also pretty underrated when its compared with respect to the people who come in front of that camera.

Edited by clodpolish - 17 June 2009 at 7:02am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top