Joined: 08 June 2005
4:51pm Thursday 5th March 2009
Hampshire captain Dimi Mascarenhas will play in the Indian Premier League next month – unless told otherwise.
The terrorist attacks in Pakistan have increased security fears in India ahead of the second IPL season, which begins on April 10.
Mascarenhas is one of six England internationals signed up by IPL franchises - but the only one due to play for the duration of the seven-week tournament.
The all-rounder, who flew to the Caribbean today for England's one-day series against the West Indies, will be playing for the IPL champions, Shane Warne's Rajasthan Royals, until the end of May.
He will be joined in the IPL by five centrally-contracted England players - Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara - who have been given a three-week window by the ECB allowing them to take part.
Events in Lahore have cast doubt over the English players' involvement, especially as India's security forces will be stretched to the limit during the IPL, as the competition clashes with the country's four-week parliamentary elections (April 16 - May 13).
IPL chairman Lalit Modi has said the competition will go ahead, but Mascarenhas, who is not contracted by the ECB, admitted: "If guarantees can't be met I won't be risking my life to play cricket.
"It's a pretty serious situation and we're all going to have to wait and see what comes of it.
"If the ECB find it unsafe I'd be pretty silly not to follow that sort of lead.
"If everyone starts pulling out I will jump on that bandwagon for sure.
"At the moment I'm still going but we have to wait for assurances that security will be up to scratch.
"At least being with England will mean I should hear what's going on - and I'll obviously be in contact with Warney and the owner of the Rajasthan Royals."
Meanwhile, Mascarenhas is a step closer to playing Champions League cricket in October after winning New Zealand's State Twenty20 competition with the Otago Volts last week.
He was due to play for Rajasthan Royals in December's inaugural Champions League before it was cancelled following the Mumbai terrorist attacks.
Mascarenhas added: "Hopefully, New Zealand's Twenty20 winners will
be invited but my first choice would be qualifying with Hampshire."
Joined: 09 December 2003
Joined: 19 October 2008
|Topics||Topic Starter||Replies||Views||Last Post|
|IPL moves out of India!!!||Ryka||10||697||13 April 2009 at 10:23pm