Debate Mansion

Washing Machine or the pill?

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
The humble washing machine has been the ultimate liberator for modern women, having a greater effect than the pill or being able to work outside the home, according to the Vatican.

A recent article in recognition of International Women's Day in the official Vatican newspaper, Osservatore Romano made the claim, stating that the appliance had played "the most part in the emancipation of Western women in the twentieth century."

"In the 20th century, what contributed most to the emancipation of Western women?" the article asked according to media reports.

"The debate is still open. Some say it was the pill, others the liberalisation of abortion, or being able to work outside the home. Others go even further: the washing machine," it stated.

International Women's Day, which has been around since the early 1900's, is being celebrated around the world today.

One of the main themes of the event this year is women and men taking a stand against violence against women and girls...

So what so far has been the greatest woman liberator...the washing machine, the pill or is it something else?๐Ÿ˜Š

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sameer.84 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
liberation....?

but i think its a long way to go for women..

when baby girls are being aborted, women killed for dowry, turning them into sex objects thru TV ads, Beauty Contest, if u wear proper clothes u r labeled as old fashioned.....its really a long way to go!
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: sam_84

liberation....?

when baby girls are being aborted, women killed for dowry, turning them into sex objects thru TV ads, Beauty Contest, if u wear proper clothes u r labeled as old fashioned.....its really a long way to go!

Women have come a long way but still have to go further. Meanwhile it would help if men too improve their mindset & stop treating women as objects . They shud stop feling threatened by women's liberation.
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: sam_84

liberation....?

xplain this line to me๐Ÿ˜•...what exatly do u want to say
what is the defination of proper dress...?
if u dont like anyone then keep it to yourself its non of your business ....apna dimaag theek rakho .thats all

_Angie_ thumbnail
Coming back to the question posted in the topic - "So what so far has been the greatest woman liberator...the washing machine, the pill or is it something else?"
Well I feel its neither the washing machine nor the pill _ (though both have played their role  in liberating women from the humdrum ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ) but its education that should be termed as the most imp liberating factor. This followed by financial independence R two most imp factors.
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Yup agree with u angu its the financial independence of a women. Edited by sonur15 - 15 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Come to think of it why shud the vatican think that the WM is the greatest liberator for women ? It is liberating for the menfolk also esp those who R single & staying alone ! In  urban nuclear families with both spouses working  , the household chores are increasingly being shared by men & women.
As for the pill - its not feasible for most  women who R not liberated enuf 2 have a say in their day to day life ! So the pill itself cannot B termed as liberating though the vatican seems to consider it as a milestone ! I maintain that education which includes instilling self esteem in women & financial independence R the 2 most imp liberating factors for women , men both !
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Can I be crude and progressive and say the most liberating has been the  V------.  Although some really old washing machines come close I hear.

The most uplifting will have to be the brassiere.

The most emancipating I would have to say is the nineteenth amendment (at least for the US)

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Can I be crude and progressive and say the most liberating has been the  V------.  Although some really old washing machines come close I hear.

The most uplifting will have to be the brassiere.

The most emancipating I would have to say is the nineteenth amendment (at least for the US)

but all said the pms pill takes the cake.. it liberates the man from the torment period of the month....nothing compares to that...๐Ÿ˜†
Edited by qwertyesque - 15 years ago
Most liberating is good old faking headache๐Ÿ˜† still works every single time and has been working since ages๐Ÿ˜†