Book Talk

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Hi Friends,

I was reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore.

I haven't finished it reading it but I am more than 3/4 way through.  It's a wonderful read so far!

I'll give a short introduction.  The main protagonist Katsa lives in one of the 7 kingdoms that are ruled by different kings that have different reputations.  Every once in a while there's a child born with two different colored eyes.  When the baby is born it may only have normal eyes but as he/she grows up and the color settles then if they are graced with something then the color of their eyes doesn't match.  They can be graced with anything like swimming, cooking, fighting, dancing..... even killing.  Yes, Katsa is graced with kiling which her uncle, the king, realizes when she's young and then after training her, he starts using her.  So whenever he wants to scare people, he sends her out to break their bones.  The story moves on with her and how she deals with all that, how she meets a new guy Po who's also graced.  How the true nature of both of their graces is revealed, and  how they help others.

I love it so far, and I will post more comments when I am done.  Has anyone read it? If yes, did you like it?

-Mahi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Sounds like a very interesting read. Right now I'm reading the Inheritance Trilogy (a good read, if you like fantasy) and I'll look for this book when i'm done!
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Oh yeah, Shelly! It really is an amazing book!

Now that I have read it I can only say AMAZING! It's a wonderful read as I have mentioned above, it's also a story of survival and trying to break through the pressures and create your own personality.  It's a story of discovery both of yourself and the world. AND it's a happy ending.  Not in a sense of they-married-and-lived-happily-ever-after sort of ending but a good and satisfying end.

I recommend it to everyone who likes fantasies at all!

-Mahi
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Mystery-

Oh yeah, Shelly! It really is an amazing book!

Now that I have read it I can only say AMAZING! It's a wonderful read as I have mentioned above, it's also a story of survival and trying to break through the pressures and create your own personality.  It's a story of discovery both of yourself and the world. AND it's a happy ending.  Not in a sense of they-married-and-lived-happily-ever-after sort of ending but a good and satisfying end.

I recommend it to everyone who likes fantasies at all!

-Mahi

Will definitely give it a try then.

I think you can probably try the Inheritence Trilogy by Christopher Paolini for an enjoyable read. the books are Eragon, Eldest and Brisinger (in that order). A movie was made from the first book but as usual the book was better. I'm on the second book now and it's really entertaining!)

Graceling from your description seems to have similar themes of finding your identity and your purpose in the world that are also present in the Inheritance books.
sabrinaa. thumbnail
this sounds really good, will read! thanks (:
ammygurl thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago
okay...sounds interesting..will read it surely...
and yeah...i am into fantasies..!!