Stop attacks on women in Karnataka

tanveer.indian thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-attacks-on-women-in-karnataka

More than 80 attacks and cases of moral policing have been reported from all over Karnataka (Bangalore, Mangalore,..) in the last six months. Women are facing physical attacks by gangs of strangers. There's been a growing lawlessness in the State - a situation where people can attack women and walk free.

These women, without the slightest provocation - unless exercising your rights as a free citizen of India by travelling, driving a car, or walking on the street as all of us have the right to do - can be counted as a provocation - were threatened, intimidated, cursed, and beaten.

Women have been or are being unfortunately targeted in the name of morality, culture and "public decency". In Bangalore, the reasons for the attacks have been on similar lines - during the attacks, the girls were insulted for wearing jeans, sleeveless shirts and speaking English.

They are part of a series of attacks inflicted on women in the name of 'morality', attacks that are escalating as women resist and fight back. Some women will be traumatized for life; others will be afraid to walk the streets of their own cities again.

These attacks are nothing less than a dastardly attempt to circumscribe the freedom of movement of women. Two women have committed suicide after humiliation. These attacks are crimes against women. They are legal offences. They are neither isolated events nor trivial incidents of 'eve-teasing'.

The attacks in Bangalore are a continuation of those that took place in Mangalore and coastal Karnataka regions. Women across class barriers - from paurakarmikas (civic workers) to garment factory workers to students and young professionals in the corporate sector - have today become vulnerable targets on the streets of Karnataka.

Even if one does not approve / endorse the pub culture personally one doesn't have any right to take the law into his/her own hands. No one has the right to enforce the dress code by taking the law into his/her own hands. It is the core responsibility of the state and city police to ensure that public spaces are kept safe for all.

Punitive legal action may please be taken to ensure that the/these attackers/miscreants are brought to justice and punished by the law. Preventive legal action may please be taken to ensure that no more women are attacked in Karnataka. Streets and public spaces may please be made safe for all to use. The right to walk our own cities without any fear and the threat of assault may please be restored.
Edited by tanveer.indian - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

y is the writer saying please please all the time its not a request it a right every citizen should have. with elections so close i don't know how the govt officials are behaving like this. really very irritating people these are. mean minded.
tanveer.indian thumbnail
Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, you're absolutely right in stating that it is not a request but a right every citizen should have. I've used please more than once since the request is or has been specifically addressed to the Hon'ble Supreme Court and not to the state government of Karnataka as law-abiding citizens like me have lost faith in the politicians and the law enforcement agencies. 

i just hope this monkey game ends soon.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Right now I am very tempted to plan a trip to Karnataka to chill out. I must be a masochist, but I am curious to see men with no balls.

Grandmas side of the family is from Udipi. Gotta do something for grandma.
sweetsang thumbnail
oo snap!!! m from karnatka ...thnak god m nt goin to india but mums goin next month
even  i was planning to look for a job in blore but i guess mumbai is better this way.
Connie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
The pub attacks will not stop with people around like this. I have posted a link below of Promod Mutalik who said he will go to any level to make this pub culture extinct....this guy is insane

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/mar/070309-Pramod-Mutalik-Shri-Ram-Sene-Oscar-awards-A-R-Rahman-pubs-dating-Gandhiji-western-nations.htm

Edited by Connie - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: Connie

The pub attacks will not stop with people around like this. I have posted a link below of Promod Mutalik who said he will go to any level to make this pub culture extinct....this guy is insane

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/mar/070309-Pramod-Mutalik-Shri-Ram-Sene-Oscar-awards-A-R-Rahman-pubs-dating-Gandhiji-western-nations.htm

he is not insane he is over smart. just fishing for some quick publicity  he has to handled by govt. and police.
tanveer.indian thumbnail

These so-called moral / cultural policemen seem to be still somewhat active in some parts of Udupi Taluk of the Dakshina Kannada or South Kanara district and in Mangalore City. Trip to Udupi is not risky, as pub goers seem to be their soft/favourite targets.

I personally feel that Bangalore is much safer when compared to Mumbai when it comes to jobs and law and order. The moral / cultural policing started / originated from Mumbai and is spreading to the other cities and towns of India.

Moral policemen could be prosecuted under the tough Goonda Act 1985. The Goonda Act provides for preventive detention up to three months and imposes stringent conditions for bail.