Preeti Mukherjee Oscar Winner Now a Sex Worker

Cheetara thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Preeti Mukherjee Oscar Winner Now a Sex Worker

Preeti Mukherjee(also known as Puja Mukherjee) was an actress in the documentary "Born in brothel- calcutta red light kids" that won oscars in 2005 and 20 other international awards.
Preety Mukherjee had even gone on stage with director Zana Brinski
4 years later she wakes up in the early hours of feb 23 rd to catch Oscars live telecast on TV and later resumes her daily work at "sonagachi" in calcutta.
She was born in a brothel and even after the oscars has gone back to flesh trade.

Her life has been nothing less than a Bollywood movie with the brothel backdrop.infact most fascinating than the movie too.
After Oscars Preeti along with other kids was offered to stay back in US and study. But as fate would have it she opted out and came back to india.
She gave in to "family pressure" and is indulged in flesh trade just like her mother and now owns a flat in 'Salt Lake'-one of the most expensive area in Calcutta.

Zana Auntie (zana Brenski) is still in toush with e-mails and tried every means to take her out of this trade unsuccessfully.
Preeti is now a part of a powerful Sex-racket and the photograph of hers with the Oscar statuette is still hung at her mother's place- faint and pale.
Still diminishing day by day.
Edited by chitara - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mrs-KaranKundra thumbnail
im confused is she now an actor?
scinerd thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
are you saying this is going to hapen to the slumdog kids
sonam_s thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Preeti had the choice to have a better life but she chose something else. So it's nobody's fault but I guess hers.

qwww thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sonam_s

Preeti had the choice to have a better life but she chose something else. So it's nobody's fault but I guess hers.

How old was she when she made that choice ? do you think she was pressured by her family ? just wondering what her options really were - she could have just been a frightened child who didnt want to be seperated from her family.
sonam_s thumbnail

^^According to the director, she is still in touch with her via emails but has been unsuccesfull in convincing Preeti to come out of the trade.

sonam_s thumbnail
No Happy Hollywood Endings For Born Into Brothels Star

When Preeti Mukherjee was 15, she attended the Oscars for her participation in Zana Briski's documentary Born Into Brothels. Today, she's a sex worker in the same red-light district Briski tried to help her escape.

Preeti was chosen to participate in Born Into Brothels when she was 12, given a camera and asked to document her life and that of her mother. When the film was nominated for an Academy Award, she and the other children featured in the film were flown to Los Angeles and Briski sought to help the kids escape brothel life. As the Times of India explains:

Preeti, who was in high school, and the rest got an offer to stay back in the US and study. Some did. She backed out.

"[Briski] gave a lot of money by cheque to my mother and asked her to release me, but she was unwilling. I am a girl and an only child and my mother wouldn't let go. Call it family pressure if you will. It's quite simple, really," Preeti said, with a dismissive shrug and a short laugh. "So, you see me here."

Preeti is, apparently, unique in the situation she finds herself in, with regards to most of her Brothels co-stars.

Abhijit, one of the kids in the film, now studies in New York University. Another girl goes to school there. Preeti is in touch with both of them. Two others are studying at Future Hope, run by a charitable trust. One has got married, while another girl, who was with an internationally funded NGO, has disappeared.

Preeti's mother, who refused to allow her to stay in the United States to study, feels alienated from her daughter, despite the fact that the younger woman's earnings as a sex worker help support her.

Mother Rakhi lives in the opposite building. Preeti pays for her living expenses. Rakhi says she wanted a "normal" life for Preeti. She still has a fading photo of Preeti with the Oscar statuette stuck on a wall. "That is all I have left of her..," she says, tears in her eyes.

Responds Preeti:

"At this age, I have a flat in Salt Lake, a laptop, costly phones and plenty of money. What do I lack?" she looks you square in the eye. "Zana aunty and I are in touch by email. She was upset that I, too, had joined the trade like my mother, something she wanted to save me from. But this trade has really paid off for me."

At The Oscars Four Years Ago, Now A Sex Worker [Times of India]

sonam_s thumbnail
It's strange because why would anyone lead a life like that. Doesn't she dream of living a respectable life just like anyone else.
hahaz thumbnail
Its like she is justifying the sex trade👎🏼
sonam_s thumbnail
Yeah. Its really terrible that she is doing exactly just that. Doesn't she dream of being someone else's wife one day and having children who will get good education and good lives.