Debate Mansion

Teaching Homosexuality in Schools.. (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 40

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 10:45pm | IP Logged
Thank God for the three pages of content here. When I first read the title I pictured a hot pink colored classroom blaring Village People 'YMCA' in the background, with the teacher instructing young men how to shave their legs. "Well done Johnny. Look how smooth your legs are now. You are an ideal homosexual". LOL

Now what the heck do we mean by teaching homosexuality in schools? I am assuming its not gay boot camp like I pictured above. There are two things that come in mind - actual homosexual content or diversity awareness.

Regarding homosexual content. It is virtually impossible for the educational system to pretend that the homosexual content that will arise in different subject matters does not exist. There is no magic stick that will *poof* make 'gayism' dissappear (Oh how I love the coinage of gayism. It like kicks homosexuality up a notch to an elevated cultural status. Its not being gay, its called following gayism LOL)

In biology we will come across all forms of sexuality in animals, humans, the birds and the bees. If you take mythology you cannot escape supergays/bis like Apollo, Hyacinthe, Gilgamesh, Artemis (she is a virgin though) , Hercules etc. [Boy Raj, you don't ever want to read about Pasiphae] If you take literature you cannot ignore Sapphic literature, Victorian romantic friendships and all sorts of references. If you take history you come across Alexander and Hephastion, his obsession with exotic boys, the ancient Spartan and Persian armies. In fact there is actually a whole thesis book on the success of Spartan and Persian armies because the men were not just soldiers or friends, but actual lovers. In the arts we have Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci both who were bisexual. In philosophy we have Aristotle and Plato and the likes who distinguished between "physical love" and "intellectual love". They thought men would be wiser and successful if they took on a male intellectual lover. So I dont think we will be cutting out homosexuality from education unless we reconvene a global grand council of Nicaea and burn a lot of stuff. In fact dont you have to bring up homosexuality for all moral, legal, religious, political discussions against homosexuality.  Would be funny to morally oppose it without ever bringing it up. LOL I morally oppose it because it says so but I cannot bring up it because it is morally wrong. LOL

Now as far as diversity awareness goes, I agree with AWK that schools are not equipped to deal with such issues. Society is not there yet. Nor was it with racism. Desegregation started with schools. The school is the foundation for the sociocultural attitudes of many people. The school is not there to preach acceptance of homosexuality, condemn or promote it in any way. That is beyond the scope of the school. However, the school has a form of obligation to clear misinformation.

Read following as if a child is being taught by parents, friends. organizations or media that _____ school needs to.

AIDS is a gay disease - make them aware of the true nature of AIDS and STD and protect them
There are gay stereotypes - prevent stereotyping because a non gay could be cast in a mold and be left out
That it is ok to hurt gay people phyiscally or abuse them verbally - stop the abuse because even gay students have rights. That people can morally, legally or politically oppose homosexuality - but the line is drawn by abuse.

Also if students or parents themselves bring pro or anti gay issues to the school - the school has to make room for balanced discussion.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Teaching Homosexuality in Schools.. (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Environment and upbringing plays a huge role in securing / building confidence in one's orientation. Have you heard that pig is not a pig unless the piggy environment teaches them to be/behave like pigs or kharbuje ko dekh kharbujey wali quote. 

How do we environmentally explain the occurrence of gay people in completely normal families? How do we explain homosexual people in highly heteronormative cultures?

I have read and seen tons of articles on gayism is something that people are born with it, thats BS no proof orelse it wouldn't have taken time pronouncing "Congratts you have a gay boy" in nursing homes. If at all proved then let run tests on all, let see how many people in the WORLD are actually living a fake life?

There are many things that are not explained by science. Even evolution the most widely accepted theory is not completely empirically sound and has its own  holes. Science did not know the role of genes, chromosomes etc. Science did not know the cause of hundreds of diseases. Even cures had to undergo series of tests, thesis, trial and error before reaching conclusion. Just because science cannot explain it does not mean it cannot be naturally valid.

And whatever happened to simply accepting people for who they are. Based on scientific evidence faith is the most ridonkulous thing people have.

If we really are all for it and support gayism then neither necrophilic or beastiality orientation studies should be left out...N and B people should be seen as someone not commiting social crime or sick, instead all should be happy for  those corpses and animals... they have a human who wants and cares for them eternally.

Animals and dead people can't consent to that act.  If they could, you had a point.  Key here is consentual sex between two adults.  Whether they happen to be of same gender or different is no one's business and no one has the right to give them a guilt trip over their prefrence.

How can anyone prove non consentual sex by animal? Unless obvious abuse... since you are hard on it...here some insights http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoophilia . For sake of it you can hold the flag on consents, if two mentally sick (don't mean homos..jsut eg.) gettogether in an unnatural act if that fine, should I even say anything else.

Did you see the nasty Indian carvings on that page. Sorry just had to point that out cause Indians can act so holier than thoust.

Consensual adult requires the ability to consent. How do we prove non consent by animals - the exact same way you prove consent. It cannot be done.  The basic premise for establishing consent as a requirement is that it ought to be proven or disproven in a way. If it cannot be done, there is no consent established. Hence the act is non consensual.

I would not say mentally sick, but mentally incapable. Why does society have an issue with teenage and pre-teen sex? Why is there controversy over rights of certain psychiatric patients to engage in relationships? Consent also requires mental capacity, maturity and conscious thought to process the consent. Similarly you could be charged with rape for having sex with a person who was drunk or under influence of drugs - because even if they say yes - their state of mind is legally defined as incapable of giving consent.

The necrophilia/bestiality/pedophilia argument against homosexuality does not work - because it does not consider the full meaning and spirit of the terms 'adult' and 'consent'.

-Masakali-

IF-Dazzler

-Masakali-

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 12:47am | IP Logged
I personally feel that it should be taught....I mean you learn about how wrong it was that in history, other races and such were discriminated. Then why should this be a different case? I mean "live and let love". Also, what I do not understand in the US or anywhere else, how it is so offensive to call someone the n word, yet not many people say anything when people use "gay" in a derogatory term or "fag" as an insult. I mean should we not teach our children, how  wrong it is to assume that to be unpopular or different does not automatically mean "gay". My personal feeling on the matter anyways/

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 6:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ashoka_was_king

I'd like to add another question since its related to the topic at hand somewhat --

Do people out here believe that exceptions exist
or is there a feeling that exceptions can't be there,something is wrong !! ?

@sonur ji,
thanks Smile

see exceptions dont happen in thought.they have to have some good reason.. for teh sake of exception could i say sun could rise in the west? there some basic rules where exceptions are more rule-based and not according to the whi,k and fancy of the opinions.. same here... we are not talking about like black or fat people.... but something which has to have scientific basis and clear reason....

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

see exceptions dont happen in thought.they have to have some good reason.. for teh sake of exception could i say sun could rise in the west? there some basic rules where exceptions are more rule-based and not according to the whi,k and fancy of the opinions.. same here... we are not talking about like black or fat people.... but something which has to have scientific basis and clear reason....

LOL Abb aur kya clear reason chaihiyee WinkWink  other then ma ka ladla bigad gaya @ the exception being refered here. LOL

Edited by raj5000 - 26 February 2009 at 10:00am

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by qwertyesque

LOL Abb aur kya clear reason chaihiyee WinkWink  other then ma ka ladla bigad gaya @ the exception being refered here. LOL
LOLLOL yeah if thats the reason.. i say its ok..LOL

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by anon

<FONT size=2>Not sure if this Particular debate has come before, you may close if it has/not appropriate. </FONT>

<FONT size=2></FONT>
<FONT size=2>Friends told me this debate was on news today - Can't find any news artices on it, must just have been discussion - not sure what channel here but:</FONT>

<FONT size=2>Should Homosexuality be taught in schools? </FONT>

<FONT size=2>Apparently there one guy - and one girl debating this. The man was arguing yes it should be (as he was Gay) and the women was really against it (obviously a homophobe too sitting as far away from him as she could).</FONT>

<FONT size=2>Her debate was lame saying that Schools shoukd teach peace, kindness etc etc well its not like School's teach us to kick one anotherLOLLOLbut what a waste anyways....</FONT>

<FONT size=2>Obviously he was arguing for the motion. I can't remember his points since morning but basically i only remember he said that he learnt in the playground at school aged 7/8 what a lesbian was. That Kids should be educated in it rather than be told by parents its wrong etc etc. </FONT>

<FONT size=2>So your views? Should it be taught in schools - if yes from what age?</FONT>

<FONT size=2>Agreed that Kids do pick up these words/meanings and attitudes from school - but is it necessary to teach it? I am a bit confused anyways - whats to teach? I mean what to say either apart from definition? Ok you could do it in PSHE classes where you discuss matters/issues and debate/discuss them, but personally i don't care about homosexual people and i would not want to learn anything about it. I am not a homophobe but would rather not hear about it/what they are doingor see it - keep it behind closed doors. Smile</FONT>

<FONT size=2>Nice Views here shared by some</FONT>

I know we have both Students and Parents here so i would love to hear from both sides. Parents would you rather teach your children and Students do you want to learn about it. If it was taught i am sure they were be huge outcry's from parents saying its wrong to teach it. Kids automatically pick up everything anyways so why teach it?

Interesting topic... In India teachers don't find time to teach ordinary stuff... Tongue . Generally ordinary school students will study the reproduction cycle of butterfly, then frog..may be upto 9th standard..then in 10th standard...these lessons about human reproduction...will be skipped by the teachers..even if they teach..they teach it very fast...Imagine folks who studied in missionaries...My biology teacher..who happened to be a nun ..skipped this lesson..so we all studied from text book itself... Big smile ....
This is the sorry state of affairs about normal things....wonder how...the extra syllabus about hetero..homo things are dealt...may be its not feasible...in ordinary hours alteast...may be folks need some extra hours Tongue ....
Cheers,
Myth

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top