Do we have a right to die ?

Posted: 15 years ago

We all say that we have the right to live & it has been  accepted by law. But Do we also have the right to die ?  Should a person who attempts suicide B targetted by law?  Is Euthanasia acceptable ?

Edited by angel.4u - 15 years ago
what a topic angu....i'll comment here later ...this isnt about so called right of a person this is more about what is right and wrong morally ,socially and of course for a person itself
welcum sonu 🤗. 
What I mean to say is why shud a person not have the right to die if he or she wants to ? Why is it an offence to attempt suicide not that I favour the act of comitting suicide ! It is certainly to B discouraged .
Don't know about others but I have clauses in my will that help my spouse/heirs/successors or our executors to make decisions on my behalf in case I am terminally ill, in lot of pain, and not capable of making my own decisions.  I don't want to prolong my life if I am living off a machine like a vegetable. 

Suicides are for cowards.  Additionally, most people who commit suicide do so in a fit at that particular moment.  If they could postpone their decision and get some time to think, most will back track.  Hence, in my opinion, it's perfectly okay to make suicide illegal.   
Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
Hey Gauri thats a very useful tip about the clause in the will ! 😛 I ll keep that in mind .
But I disagree that a person who has attempted suicide should be termed as an offender.  As you have rightly pointed out he/she does it in a fit either due to desperation or depression. So he is more of a victim who needs to be counselled rather than be termed as an offender who is liable to be punished
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Suicides are for cowards.  Additionally, most people who commit suicide do so in a fit at that particular moment.  If they could postpone their decision and get some time to think, most will back track.  Hence, in my opinion, it's perfectly okay to make suicide illegal.   

exactly what i was about to write !

Originally posted by angel.4u

Hey Gauri thats a very useful tip about the clause in the will ! 😛 I ll keep that in mind .
But I disagree that a person who has attempted suicide should be termed as an offender.  As you have rightly pointed out he/she does it in a fit either due to desperation or depression. So he is more of a victim who needs to be counselled rather than be termed as an offender who is liable to be punished

if we term that person as offender,
at least that person would have to make it absolutely sure that he dies off when he tries to suicide !
I mean some people can attempt suicide just to show the society,
and not be serious about it !
that wud be suicide

Moderator's Note:
There is NO need to bring in religion here. Why? then please check the sticky note on rules/coc. Thanks!

Edited by raj5000 - 15 years ago
Must see this related debate championship -

Other related/similar topic

Not closing or merging this topic, as this right to die is making main stream media news...yes AGAIN...see the details of the case

Suicide is and should be an offense. People need to learn to stand up and face the situations that they are facing. Hiding, running away, and ending your life doesn't make it all go away. In fact, you are leaving more trouble behind for those who actually care about you.

Regarding euthanasia, I personally would not want to live off of machines, and I also think that keeping someone alive on machines like that sometimes signifies our own selfish desire to keep them alive to lighten our own sorrow rather then letting them go.

Having said that, I'd say that that choice should be left up to the family. I personally know of an elderly who was retrieved the day the machines were supposed to be taken off, and now she is at home, living life quite normally.

But I think that it does vary from case to case. And we should not judge others for making whatever decision they made, especially not allowing suing the husband for letting the wife go, after so many years, by the wife's parents (🤢).

Yeah, especially if you 're a jerk.😊