Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 February 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged
Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway put on a show at the Academy awards, proclaiming the comeback of the musical. Can it be true? Can the era of good old fashioned musicals ever come back to Hollywood.

It perhaps started brewing with Moulin Rouge! and it's Bollywoodesque song and dance routine (Chamma Chamma) and lets face it Lady Marmalade is an item song rip off. LOL Chicago! managed to snag a victory. Now with Rent, Hairspray, The Producers, and Mama Mia - we see more and more broadway musicals hit the big screen. Whether you like it or not Mama Mia is now the highest grossing movie in the UK (those sappy guys who made Love Actually) . Even Disney cashed in on the trend releasing High School Musical on the big screen instead of a made for TV movie on their channel like the previous too.

Slumdog Millionnaire may not have been an outright musical, but the best film victory takes you back to the days of "Sound of Music". Sometimes the best movies are not the ones with some hard hitting message, gripping storylines, heartbreakingly true stories, or magnificient movies. Sometimes the best films are the ones the feel good ones, that warm your soul and bring a smile. Whether its a singing Austrian family or an unlikely millionaire.

So - can we see more movies the likes of Singin in the Rain, Guys and Dolls, Grease, Cabaret, West Side Story and such? Does it mean that Bollywood can make an impact?

Or will Hollywood go back to making movies on loud noises with effects that cause epiliptic seizures resulting in midnight queues, while the academy will leave us wondering which country they are talking about and who are the old men. LOL

Edited by return_to_hades - 24 February 2009 at 10:01pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Musical is Back?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 10:05am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

FloralWraith

FloralWraith

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 6:10pm | IP Logged
Hmm, aren't most Bollywood movies technically musicals because of the sheer amount of song and dance scenes?

Are there really any other genres of Bollywood movie or is Bollywood the genre?

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 11:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Does it mean that Bollywood can make an impact?

Eventhough your usual run of the mill Bollywood movies have some 5-6 song sequences, I don't consider them a musical.  Most songs are either dream sequences or item numbers now a daysLOL  Very few are in line with the story but still a far cry from being a musical - imo.

This is so realistic and integral part of the story

No dreaming at all

No itemization

It's only crazy when Indian villages come together for a song sequence

This honestly is the best part of this movie though

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged
anne hathway was lip-syncing.. i didnt see the mic... hugh is an accomplished singer so is queen latifah.... musicals have certain innocence associated with them... which i dont think can return... with people getting smarter day by day..I cant imagine people writing poems like daffodils anymore... for the same reason... we are all mentally mutated

mama mia was real exception as it was around the abba songs and so was exhilirating.. but otherwise.. it was one off thing.. musicals are not back and cant be back....Smile

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 8:33am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

mama mia was real exception as it was around the abba songs and so was exhilirating.. but otherwise.. it was one off thing.. musicals are not back and cant be back....Smile

Sometimes I see kids nowadays and feel like knocking their head. They listen to "Gimme,Gimme, Gimme" and say hey they copied Madonna. Effing morons little pricks. Madonna sampled Abba, not the other way around. And Dancing Queen is not a song by A-Teens and no its not S Club 7 either, give me a break. How can you have never heard of "Take a Chance" "Voulez Vous"?

Abba's music can bring planets back in alignment.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:14am | IP Logged

Does it mean that Bollywood can make an impact?

Eventhough your usual run of the mill Bollywood movies have some 5-6 song sequences, I don't consider them a musical.  Most songs are either dream sequences or item numbers now a daysLOL  Very few are in line with the story but still a far cry from being a musical - imo.

This is so realistic and integral part of the story

No dreaming at all

No itemization

It's only crazy when Indian villages come together for a song sequence

This honestly is the best part of this movie though

hey, I was commenting only on the part I quoted from your post - Bollywood making an impact if the musicals are back.

I am with you on musicals being realistic and integral part of the story - unless you are saying this is what bollywood movie songs reflect.  Then, of course, I beg to differ.

I find no difference between what Bollywood song reflect and the old musicals. Its all the same. Except our music style and cinematography is different. Hollywood could use our help to revive the musical though.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top