Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Slumdog Millionaire's Slam-dunk at 81st Annual Aca

Bander thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Slumdog Millionaire's Slam-dunk at 81st Annual Academy Awards
By Samia Siddiqui - Filmicafe.com, 23 February, 2009     

http://www.filmicafe.com/news_detail.php?news_id=9769

Slumdog Millionaire's Slam-dunk at 81st Annual Academy AwardsSlumdog Millionaire has lived up to its underdog theme at the 81st Annual Academy Awards (OSCARS), sweeping all 9 of its 10 categories, including best drama and director for Danny Boyle.

The Oscar for cinematography went to the Anthony Dod Mantle for Slumdog Millionaire. Mantle is one of the world's great cinematographers and, with Slumdog, he conjured up a brilliant, vibrant, vital and grimy vision of Mumbai.

Also sweeping the Best Adapted Screenplay went to Simon Beaufoy for Slumdog Millionaire. Beaufoy offered thanks to director Danny Boyle and proucer Christian Colson – "the other two musketeers".

The uplifting drama, about an orphan from the Mumbai slums who appears on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, picked up best picture, best director as well as best screenplay and soundtrack honours.

Resul Pookutty accepts the award. He calls it "unbelievable." He and the rest of the team are out of breath. He dedicates the award to India. He says it is not just a Sound Award, but history being handed over to him. Also sweeping the Best Editing Oscar Chris Dickens accepted the awards and said he loved working of the film that he did not want it to end.

And the moment everyone was waiting for yes A R Rahman wins not one by 2 Oscars for his masterpiece in Slumdog Millioniare. A R Rahman bagged the Best Original Score where Rahman said he feels anxious, as he did during his marriage. His mother is in the crowd and he's grateful she's there. He thanks the Academy, the Slumdog crew, his assistants in Mumbai and he says "God is Great," a traditional line at Indian award shows. But there was more A R Rahman creates history by winning 2 Oscar back to back, also sweeps the Best Original Song 'Jai Ho' where he thanked the crew of Slumdog Millionaire, particularly Danny Boyle, and the people of Mumbai. He says the essence of the film is about optimism and hope. He says he has had a choice between hate and love and choosing love has brought him here.

Danny Boyle wins the Oscar for the Best Director for his masterpiece Slumdog Millionaire. Boyle jumps up and down in excitement. He promised his kids that if he ever won an Oscar, he would accept in the spirit of Tigger from Winnie the Pooh. He commends the Academy for the show this year, which he calls "bloody well done." He thanks his kids and his family "for letting me be Tigger for so long." He thanks a lot of his friends back home, the crew from Celador and Pathe and Warner Bros. and Fox Searchlight. He calls the film a tribute to its cast and crew. He realized two weeks ago that the man who choreographed the film's final dance sequence was left out of the credits and apologizes now. He then thanks the people of Mumbai.

And finally "Slumdog Millionaire" knocked off best-drama nominees that included Brad Pitt's "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio's "Revolutionary Road" and Ron Howard's "Frost/Nixon." Danny Boyle and the cast and crew of Slumdog take the stage to accept their award. Producer Christian Colson speaks about the "extraordinary journey" of trying to get the movie made. They didn't have enough money to make the film they had initially wanted to, but were inspired by the script. They all shared a love for the city of Mumbai. He thanks his parents for their love and support, and his girl, and the Academy.

http://www.filmicafe.com/news_detail.php?news_id=9769

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SuhanaSafar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
The article is wrong...it won in eight of the nine categories. Edited by SuhanaSafar - 15 years ago
scinerd thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
no it won 9 i counted
heaven002x thumbnail
Slumdog aced it with all the categories they were nominated for, Except for onee =]]
SuhanaSafar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: nidhi_88

no it won 9 i counted

I'm sorry but you must have counted wrong.  Slumdog Millionaire had ten nominations in nine different categories.  It won in eight of those nine categories, meaning it won awards for eight of it's ten nominations.  The two nominations that did not result in wins were "O Saya" for Best Song and Sound Editing. 

EDIT: Pardon me for an error in my first post.  I mean to say eight of nine...not eight of ten.
Edited by SuhanaSafar - 15 years ago
Monu-SunNaa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
The film won 8 Oscars!
Source: Sky News
scinerd thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SuhanaSafar

I'm sorry but you must have counted wrong.  Slumdog Millionaire had ten nominations in nine different categories.  It won in eight of those nine categories, meaning it won awards for eight of it's ten nominations.  The two nominations that did not result in wins were "O Saya" for Best Song and Sound Editing. 

EDIT: Pardon me for an error in my first post.  I mean to say eight of nine...not eight of ten.

oh yah it did win 8 thanks, yah cuz i was liek it only didnt win one, but i forgot to take into account that it was nominated twice in on cateogroy, anyways slumdog rocks!