I know it has been quite some time since we announced that we are going to automate the username change feature where a member can change their username once in a year.
The reason to allow username change is that many times when we register we dont think that we would get addicted to the site so much and later we find it funny that we are using an odd username.
One of the best example is of our GM priya.nair who registered as "fortvpur" (short form of For TV Purposes) and later she got so involved that she wanted to be known by her Real ID. But that time it was easy as the number of members were fewer and requests for changes were less.
Before we start that feature we want to share that there are few changes and restrictions in the usernames as we are planning on features like Blogs and Micro Homepages and many times its very difficult to even type those names when we want to send them PMs so we wont be able to allow users with fancy characters in their usernames.
- Only alphanumeric (A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and - . _ ) is allowed.
- Username cannot be less then 4 characters and more then 15 characters.
- Since we do not encourage frequent changes in usernames we suggest that before requesting change of username the member should think it through as once the change is done it wont be possible to change it again before a year. (we may increase the limit)
- We suggest that members use their real names instead of a character or celebrity name cause you never know when the show will end or when the character changes and you no longer want to use that username and also cause this is going to be the universal login for all our websites like BollyCurry.com and TellyBuzz.com
- This is available only to members who have reached "Senior Member" level or above only. Meaning it is NOT available to Groupie or Newbie.
Once the change usernames starts working we would request all the members who have invalid characters to change it to something of their choice (given that it is available).
Since there can be a lot of confusion with someone taking each others usernames we thought that once the username changes we wont make it available for someone else to take it for atleast 1 year.Update as on 25th Feb 2009:
Well since many of the members have gone ahead and made changes to their usernames and we dont want that it create problems for others. So once you are logged in you can see a new link in the Footer of the page as Username Change Log using which you can find the new IDs of your friends.http://www.india-forums.com/username_list.asp
Edited by vijay - 25 February 2009 at 3:48am