Page   of 11
Page 2 Page 11

skeptical

IF-Rockerz

skeptical

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged

A Wintry Night ........

Concept = Sammy

Kranti sat at the window seat that overlooked the valley.  It was dark and cold outside.  She looked out at the bleak surroundings.  It was snowing.  The furry snow was beating down on the window panes.  How she disliked it here!  And it was all Raj's fault. She pursed her lips and tried to see through the falling snow.  She clutched the blanket closely round her.  She kept the hot sigdi near her feet.  She hated it when her feet became cold.  She was here in Sohan Tauji's house in Shimla.  He had left it to her when he had died almost two years ago.  She had come here once before to claim the house and sign the deed papers.  She was already married to Raj at that time. 

Sagar was another freedom fighter who had left Lahore and come here.  He had no one in the world but Kranti.  He lived in the house.  The partition had left behind a trail of death, sorrow and misery.  Families had got wiped out.   

She longed for the plains.  She longed to see the lush green of the fields outside Amritsar; the warmth of her land; the songs of the ladies as they swung on the jhoolas and most of all her friends.  When she washed her hair, she would leave it open.  Old Fatima bi gave her some herbal powder to wash her hair.  It was magical for it had the fragrance of sandalwood and lilies.  The smell lingered on for days. And Raj never missed a chance to breathe in the fragrance.  He would hold her head and pull her close.  She would sit on the terrace and dry her long dark hair.  She remembered sucking on aam papad that was made from mangoes.  She remembered ladies from the neighbourhood giving her sweets and pickles.  They tried teaching her how to be a good quiet dutiful wife.  They knew that was the most difficult thing.  Kranti couldn't be tamed.  She did exactly what her mind told her.  Buaji always scolded her gently.  Then Kranti would pretend to sulk.  The best part was when she would say...sudhar ja bachchi, kaake jaisa aur koi nahi hai.  Kranti would show shock and wouldn't resist saying, why does he live in a home then .. shouldn't he be showcased in a museum?  Buaji used to try to look stern but always failed.  Everyone used to laugh, Chaijee the most.

She missed Nirmal di so much.  Why did Sanjay have to go to stay in Delhi?  She now kept in touch with her sister through letters.  She wanted to go so badly to meet her but her husband wouldn't allow it.  She scowled.  He was so stubborn.....ooofffff. 

Kranti had taken part in an agitation.  She had been hurt then.  While trying to escape, she had fallen and for days her back continued to ache.  For a while she thought she would never walk.  But massage and exercises had rejuvenated her.  She had never seen Raj so angry before.  He had been out of his mind with worry.  He forbade her from leaving the house and had instructed that everyone was going to see that she remained indoors.  But Kranti had revolted against this diktat.  No one was going to issue such preposterous orders.  I will, said her husband.  He had suddenly lunged for her and caught her.  Not a word out of you.....shhhhh.  His brown eyes had almost turned black.  His eyebrows drew together in a frown.  No one uttered a word.  They realised that he was serious.  Kranti kept silent too.  But her eyes did all the speaking.  Anger glinted in her eyes at first, but they fell against his compelling look.  That had been four years ago.

The wind howled outside.  Kranti was restless.  How long would it remain cold like this?  She heard the sound of the doorbell.  But no one seemed to have answered it.  She got up.  She rubbed her lower back with her hand.  There was a slight ache.  Chaijee said it would soon go away.  The bell chimed again.  That was funny, where was Jagat kaka?  She went down to the lobby of the ground floor.  She went forward to open the door.  Someone tapped her on the shoulder.  She turned.  It was a hooded figure.  Hello said the person hoarsely.  Kranti went backwards.  In the darkness she was taken aback.  When had he come? And why wasn't she told?  It had been a whole month.  She looked at him but didn't say a word.  He removed his hood and the cloak.  His hat he hung on the peg and the overcoat was kept away.  He came towards her.  He reached out and touched her cheek gently.  His fingers were ice-cold and so she jerked away.  Kranti, he whispered...its been a long time since I last saw you.  Her eyes were steadfast on his face.  They were sad and angry both at the same time.  He took a step forward and reached for her.  She went to him and looped her arms around his waist.  He stroked her hair.  It is still smelling of lilies?.he laughed.  The hall light came on.  Kranti didn't move away.  She didn't care.  She missed him and needed him.  He was a first class rogue for sending her here to recuperate.  She had rebelled and cried her heart out, so the rest of the family came to Shimla....except Raj.  Parjaijee came down the steps carrying a bundle in her arms.  He took the infant in his hands and smiled down at its beauty.  The sound of gurgling drew Kranti's gaze on her child.  She looked at this enchanting little being who had come into their life.  It looked so safe with its father.  Kranti bent her head and placed the softest of kisses on the tender little forehead.

Edited by skeptical - 21 February 2009 at 11:17pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A Wintry night ....... for Sammy" in Mohe Rang De forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

netu19

netu19

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged
its indeed a wintry night....
suddenly realized how cold it is n ... it has nothing to do with temperature...but everything with your description of cold....
n you know so many facial expressions for emotions......
n here i m struggling to put emoticons to right useCry.....
nevr noticed change of color of eyes with emotions...waoo
She had come here once before to claim the house and sign the deed papers.  She was already married to Raj at that time...  so Raj skills were put to sum use...

why does he live in a home then …shouldn't he be showcased in a museum? ha haLOL though kranti says it...you mean it...Wink

Raj n Kranti s baby.... a short story spanned so far

liked it becoz Kranti was smiling n contend in end...Smile
was sad seeing her in pain in show, in your MRD....(hmm me sound crazy even to myself... not my fault... you made her pain so real in your version...)

sami01

IF-Sizzlerz

sami01

IF Crazy Senior

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged

aww skepy i read it after being yelled at by a client gosh it was upsetting and u made me smile...............................what a beautifull beautifull story ,kranti's happiness ,raj's happiness ,he could b e stubborn if he wants to be and u were able to capture the magic here....thanks so much for this story skepy and yaar it was not my concept its ur creation....i just gave u a smal thought to dwell at..lovely masterpiece u created....it gives u feeling of well being and warmth while u read....Hug

jab gham ka andhera bhad jaye samjho ke savera door nahi samjho ke savera door nahi... Embarrassed
thanks for bringing that subha today for me..
thankyou skepy

chimuli

IF-Dazzler

chimuli

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
wow so sweet a perfect......RK child.loved d concept yaar..n tht winter...wow skepticalClap

skeptical

IF-Rockerz

skeptical

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by netu19

Well I tried to give you as much mush as possible Wink

Edited by skeptical - 21 February 2009 at 9:23pm

chimuli

IF-Dazzler

chimuli

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tetuty66

wow so sweet a perfect......RK child.....n tht museum...lol...loved d concept yaar..n tht winter...wow skepticalClap

Arwen.

IF-Sizzlerz

Arwen.

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged
Skep....Clap

i loved each and every word....raj's anger and worry, kranti's stubbornness, the museum wala comment and especially the ending *sigh*Embarrassed

perfect story with a perfect setting.Smile

ranjnanarang

Goldie

ranjnanarang

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 12:21am | IP Logged
I have no words skep it was a short story yet so intreguing. Raj and kranti's baby wow what a thought.
Amazing.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top