Debate Mansion

Morally Evil - Pleasure gained by inflicting pain? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged

Pleasure is something that is conscious rewarding and pain is something that hurts the conscious. Sufferer and inflictor cannot define it...

moral for me means something that is positive combination of clean conscious, not a social crime, acceptable right by majority, actions that leads satisfaction, etc ;)

yeh dono baatie toh bohot achchi kahi apne Mr R ji  Clap

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Morally Evil - Pleasure gained by inflicting pain? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by return_to_hades

What really is the true nature of evil, is it always about causing pain, or is it more about the abuse of power. What is pain, is it defined by sufferer or inflicter? What is pleasure, can one truly get pleasure from pain? There are way too many folds to this topic really.

Ok with morally evil, was simply meant immoral...  Nice to hear the expected... Pain and Pleasure in this topic is NOT something inclined towards physical aspect of it, but more mental, to be precise... conscious driven. Pleasure is something that is conscious rewarding and pain is something that hurts the conscious. Sufferer and inflictor cannot define it... got to be combination of several things... that is the reason tied up with MORAL. Again I haven't looked up dictionary meaning of moral, but moral for me means something that is positive combination of clean conscious, not a social crime, acceptable right by majority, actions that leads satisfaction, etc ;). Trust me took a while framing this one right' I too understand there are several folds, upto how people interpret it but basic flow is clear.. rest of the deviations / tangents might add great value here.. thanks for giving this topic outside the box GO!

If we are looking at moral pain or pleasure, or one of thought and consciousness - there is no hard and fast rule. We know knife cuts hurt, but we cannot say which word or act will hurt. I may say something as a joke and enjoy it and think its funny - someone else will be hurt.

So couple of things play a factor

1) Intent - Was the true intent to hurt in such a way, or was the intent different. If X hurts Y and gets pleasure but X did not mean to hurt Y in this sort of suffering but was being goofy. Then X made a mistake but is not evil.
2) Pleasure - Is the person actually deriving pleasure from causing pain. Prison wardens, Soldiers etc and people who do cause moral/physical pain do it either to comply with authority/to gain favor/ fit in/prevent punishment. They do not always derive pleasure. Sometimes the guilt conscious is unbearing. A soldier may torture a person, but internally could be an emotional wreck over moral guilt. What takes precedence - moral consciousness - or duty? Was Claus Von Stauffenberg a hero or a traitor?
3) Desensitization - If you experience pain over and over and over again. Physical or emotional - you are desensitized to it. Your moral compass of right or wrong gets messed up. Vietnam War so many instances of rape, torture etc. but war/fatigue etc. had made many people crazy. Many were not in the right mind and either temporarily/permanently lost compassionate morals.

So if a person intends pain, knows its wrong and still derives pleasure then they are a sociopath.

As for the physical kind if one person likes to give and the other receive. What can we do about it.

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sonur15

Pleasure is something that is conscious rewarding and pain is something that hurts the conscious. Sufferer and inflictor cannot define it...

moral for me means something that is positive combination of clean conscious, not a social crime, acceptable right by majority, actions that leads satisfaction, etc ;)

yeh dono baatie toh bohot achchi kahi apne Mr R ji  Clap
Thank you jee!

@RTH - Nice thoughts, I hear yaa.

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

As for the physical kind if one person likes to give and the other receive. What can we do about it.

Make sure they both are together Big smile

But yes, i do agree with whatever you have said Smile

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 10:17pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top