Balika Vadhu

balika vadhu conforming to the same superstitions?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

george eliot

george eliot

Posted: 20 February 2009 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
Balika Vadhu is intended to raise a voice against the social evils and age old superstitions, but some aspects of the story made me think that they are in a way proving those mal practices as valid. These might be flaws in the script, but nevertheless they are undermining the strength of the messages.

1. The main message of the serial is that child marriage is bad. The age old logic behind child marriage was that if married early, the husband and the wife become good friends very early in life and they remain committed to each other life long.  Jagya and Anandi are indeed very good friends and it won't be surprising to see them make a great couple later on!

2. Gehna protests against "bemel" marriage whereas maasaa says even unequal age marriage can be successful with passing time and love. Now when Basant is becoming considerate to Gehna and their relationship improving, masa's words will be proven right!

3.Another message in the serial was how under age women should not go for motherhood. Now Gehna is going ahead with her pregnancy and unless they show something bad happening to Gehna, the old  logic "that not all women die giving birth to a baby" is going to be proved true.

4. By showing Pratap and Sugna becoming physically close, isn't it also proving the age old logic that young people should be married off and allowed to have marital relationships? for if not, they will neverthless become sexually active in a more dangerous way, better tie them in a married life!   

5. Finally, they had to bring in Phooli in Sugna's gauna! That Sugna's husband is going to die, isn't it conforming the stereotype of the "abshagun" of the widow?!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think ?
Remember, this serial is directed towards a rural audience who still believe in this customs...and they are seeing all their beliefs getting confirmed in this serial!!!!!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "balika vadhu conforming to the same superstitions?" in Balika Vadhu forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

aloo12

aloo12

Posted: 20 February 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged
yes these are some conflicting points.

MonMad

Goldie

MonMad

Posted: 20 February 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged
Good points raised, but without showing phuli being upshagun and all they will not be able to build the story line for getting Phuli and Sugna getting remarried later.  They are showing how Phuli, her parents and friends feel on account of this behavious of Maasa. 

Gehna is shown as a 18 year old lady, but is still young to have a child on account of which she will have a lot of complications, this will be depicted. 

Jagya and Anadhi are shown as good friends but neither he nor Anadhi realize all the complexities that a marriage brings in, this is what being portrayed.  Subtlly they are trying to influence the minds of people living in rural Rajasthan and India.

Thats my take on this show.  Over all a much better show as compared to the meanness, killing and concubines being shown in Ekta Kapoor's shows.

Edited by MonMad - 20 February 2009 at 1:59pm

roshaaan

IF-Sizzlerz

roshaaan

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 2:14am | IP Logged
good thinking but i really like this thing which colors is trying to do all these people who r making serials on these girl topic is really nice

kristie12

Goldie

kristie12

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 3:39am | IP Logged
When the show started, it started on a good note. But these guys changed the whole story just for the sake of TRPs. Actually, Jaggu was supposed to die but these greedy channel and producers are making all the changes and spreading wrong messages. They should be dragged to courts for spreading wrong messages. Stupid makers.....

sub_rosa

IF-Dazzler

sub_rosa

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged
balika vadhu attempts at a realistic portrayal of the social scene in rural rajasthan. as much i have understood, there is as much emphasis on human relationships, as there is on the depiction of social evils. had the makers neglected the emotional aspect, the show would have looked like those social awareness campaignes on tv issued by the govt..
the realistic rendering would also have been hampered, if they had shown a revolution happening everyday, all moth-eaten customs crumbling one by one.
the relationship between anandi-jaggiya or suguna-pratap need not necessarily be portrayed as disastrous, to depict the evils of child marriage. anandi is happy with jaggiya, but she had to pay a heavy price for it. she was robbed of her childhood.
 we have already seen two tragedies( rani and jamuna) resulting from early pregnancy and even if gehna survives in the end, we remain witnesses to her sufferings.
this is just what the makers are aiming at. they present a critique of the real situation(not entirely neglecting the commercial aspect though).

jjairam

jjairam

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged
My grandmother was 11 when she married my grandfather who was 18 at that time. She had her gauna at 15 and bore my uncle, her first child at the age of 16. She and my grandfather had a very successful marriage. He died at 94. She is still alive at 99. All their kids grew up to be very successful.
A lot of old practices may be harsh or not very good to women's rights. My grandmother herself, encouraged her grand daughters to become highly qualified.
Yet, today, our modern lives carries its own set of problems. Life is not problem free for working independent women. Her life had an innocence that mine lacks and I really think that no culture or tradition should be painted in black or white. I for one would prefer they avoid those preachy one liners at the end of each episode.

Roben

Goldie

Roben

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged
another thread with the same discussion.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top