Kollywood Masala

Movie Review - Kutty

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

~*Thamizhan*~

Viewbie

~*Thamizhan*~

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged

Hello everyone! I came across this beautiful movie accidently, and I'm gald that I did! Please buy and watch this beauiful movie Kutty (2001), because I think it's a movie that should not be missed.

This movie failed to stand against the crowd, maybe because it was kutty (small)! But I can surely say Kutty is definitely worth your time / money!

Once you have watched the movie, we can maybe dicuss the issues that appear in the movie.

Here's a review by Sandhya which sums up all my views!

Movie Review: Kutty!

This piece of writing was conceived soon after watching the beautiful movie Kutty by Janaki Vishwanathan. A poignant portrayal of child labour and child trafficking, the movie truly touched my heart.

Kannamma a.k.a. Kutty(a brilliant portrayal by Swetha), is a little girl brought into the household of Ranganathan(Ramesh Aravind) after a pampered childhood under the kind care of her now deceased father Paavaadai(Nasser), a potter. After her fathers death, her mother Eshwari Rao sends the kid to Chennai to take care of Ranganathans second kid to aid his college professor wife, Kousalya. Life seems new and beautiful to Kannamma, brought to the city by her Valli akka and Mama.

Things change when Ranganathans class-conscious other, M.N.Rajam walks in. She illtreats Kutty and influences her grandson, Vikki, to do the same. No amount of yelling and pleading by Ranganathan and his wife changes her attitude.

Kutty suffers acutely and pours out her woe to a fellow servant-maid, who is herself being molested by her house-owners. She also finds a benevolent and kind heart in Nadar(Vivek), the nearby shop-owner, to share her troubles.

Kuttys carefree days in the village are replaced by days filled with over-work and her fear for the evil paatti,M.N.Rajam, mounts; so much so that, she attempts to flee back home.

The ill-literate and gullible Kutty falls into the hands of a deceiving paanwaala, involved in the flesh trade, who sells her off to a pimp in Bombay. Kutty, unaware of her plight, and dreaming of a beautiful homecoming, embarks on her journey with innocent excitement and childish joy, hugging the food parcel that paanwaala anna gives her! The movie closes frame here

It is so heart-wrenchingI cant come to terms with the fact that man stoops so low to kill a childs innocence to cruelly and knowingly thrust a life of horror and shame!

How CAN someone, in the first place, ill-treat a kid? Shes a small girl of ten, made to work non-stop, without enough food to even give her the energy to work!

It is so sad to think that while all of us have the privilege of enjoying a wonderful life, filled with comforts and with such modern amenities to communicate our thoughts to anyone else in the world, little innocent kids like Kannamma get ill-treated and cannot raise their voices against such atrocities!!!

Unquestioningly, she trusts the scheming paanwaala. Such happy thoughts seem to run through the crystal-clear eyes that look out of the train to Mumbai God, I couldnt BEAR to look at those eyes!!!

How COULD someone do this to a KID for Gods sake?! How could someone sell a little kiddeflower herkill her innocencemake her suffercrush those young dreams? How? I cant seem to comprehend!

I really wish I could do something against such happenings! The paanwaala calls her a mottu(bud) and yet sells her off to some lust-hungry son of a b****!(pardon my language!)

I hate the fact that I share this earth with such lowly corrupted individuals who destroy others lives when they have no right to! It is better to even kill a person than to leave them worse off, living!

God it pains like hell! Why do we have it easy in life while others around us suffer? Ive decided, I should do something for these kids when I begin to stand on my own feet. For now, I shall pray for them. I want everyone of you, to pray too

This lifes beautifulweve seen it only that way! Weve not been the victims of child molestations or child trafficking or any such crimes that man commits against man! Weve had innocent carefree childhoods, not marred or tainted by any such obscenities! I wish and pray for every child born on this beautiful earth to have such similar joys, such simple pleasures and to have a right to there lives and the way they want to mould it.

Please if you know of any such crime being committed, stop it! Raise a voice. We are social beings and should be conscious of whats happening around.

Let every child have a lovely childhood!

Let us not stoop low and eat the filth and dust and muck! God save the children!
And big congratulations to the people who came together to make this beautiful and soul-stirring movie!

Review: Sandhya Ramachandran

Edited by ~*Thamizhan*~ - 14 February 2009 at 2:09am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Carynsankadevi30

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Movie Review - Kutty" in Kollywood Masala forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Karthikka

IF-Dazzler

Karthikka

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged
Sri

I saw this film ages ago. The end made me frozen to my seat. It was just awful.  Swetha won an award for that film. It is so sad. Unfortunately it also reflects real life, just like Slumdog Millionaire. It is a movie that all of us should watch.

Swetha is daddy's girl. Eashwari Rao acts as the mother. Nasser spoils Swetha to the extent that he lets her stay at home and not go to school, although her mother is angry at this. The consequence of this is cruelly shown later in the film, when Swetha is unable to tell Vivek her address - only that her oor has a big aala maram and a temple. It was a heart-wrenching scene.

The ending leaves you to form your own conclusion and it is not a pleasant one. Highly disturbing. What makes it worse is that no one will know what had happened to Kutty.

The film is based on a short story by Sivashankari.

Edited by Karthikka - 14 February 2009 at 8:52am

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged
Thanks Sri.

I saw this movie awhile back. A realistic movie that moves our hearts....but i couldnt digest the ending...Ouch

netra_rama

IF-Rockerz

netra_rama

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 12:00pm | IP Logged
ive watched this movie years back .. reading sri review brings back the pain and hurt i had that time watching that movie. It really made me cry. And the ending Cry

Caryn

IF-Rockerz

Caryn

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by netra_rama

ive watched this movie years back .. reading sri review brings back the pain and hurt i had that time watching that movie. It really made me cry. And the ending Cry

Agreed Netz.  I watched this movie several times, and each time it bring tears to my eyes and I won't hesitate to watch it again.

This type of pictures must be produced to bring out awareness in people.  Otherwise, people will think, this kind of things doesn't happen in reality.

Congratulations to the Director.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top