Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

All Movie Reviews/Movie Talk: Billu (Beep) (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 10

Zareena

IF-Stunnerz

Zareena

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged
'Billu Barber' - Tugs at your heart

By N K Deoshi
Film critic, ApunKaChoice.Com

Story is the King in Billu Barber and not SRK whose histrionics pale in front of the other Khan, Irrfan, that is.

Your heart aches for Billu, the poor village barber with just one rupee note in his shirt pocket and a simple humble heart beneath it. His life scrapes the bottom way below poverty line. In his ramshackle shop he awaits customers that walk into his rival's refurbished salon across the road. At home, bijli has been disconnected due to nonpayment of bills, and Billu's two kids are thrown out of school for same reason. In this already turbulent life of Billu ( Irrfan Khan ) enters a tornado in the shape of superstar Sahir Khan ( Shahrukh Khan ), Billu's estranged childhood buddy.

Even as Sahir, who comes to shoot his film in the village, is worshiped (literally) by the villagers, Billu is elevated from the status of a pauper to a celebrity sought after by people who want to meet Sahir. His kids are taken back by the school. His shop is renovated by a miserly money lender ( Om Puri ) and paeans are written in Billu's name by a jobless and talentless writer ( Rajpal Yadav ). Even Billu's wife ( Lara Dutta ) wants to meet the superstar.

But somewhere deep down Billu is convinced that Sahir won't even remember him, forget recognizing. Billu's also too embarrassed of his own poverty to muster up courage to meet the demigod superstar.

It's a story that throbs with emotions. It tugs from within you love and sympathy for its titular protagonist, and it builds up suspense right to its fag end when floodgates open and you are overwhelmed by tear-jerking emotion.

Certain folklores have a never-waning appeal. One such is the lore of Krishna and his poor childhood friend Sudama. To this very age when film-stars are deified and many modern-day Sudamas bite the dust, the story holds relevance. And director Priyadarshan tells it simply, wittily, but not without painful (for viewers) digressions into the so-called item numbers by belly-button beauties Deepika Padukone , Kareena Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra . A viewer feels better left off in the raggedy, tattered world of Billu than being subjected to the glossy, blinding sheen of the superstar's gyrations with cosmetic beauties. You almost wish the film's editor had snipped his scissors more on this glam quotient made mandatory by commercial concerns.

If songs with the exception of "Billu Bhayankar" and "Khudaya Khair" are forgettable, equally below par is performance by Shahrukh Khan who hams through most of his role. If he makes you moist-eyed at the end it's solely because the situation is so pregnant with emotion and not because of his acting.

The true King Khan of the flick is Irrfan whose understated, meek and vulnerable portrayal of a lovable, penniless barber wins you over. It's a performance you can see bar bar. Lara Dutta hardly gets into her character, but you don't really mind it. For there's a continuous comic streak from the likes of Om Puri and Rajpal Yadav in the first half.

The humour is genuinely funny at places but is mostly passable. The SFX Matrix ishtyle is better than what we normally see in Bollywood.

The best moment of 'Billu' comes at the end, when Sahir Khan recalls his childhood at a school function and Billu hears it from across a faraway fence and walks away after hearing it. His wife, who had been so eager to see Sahir, joins him. The movie doesn't end there. But what follows is worth sitting the whole movie through.

Do watch it.

Rating: ***

http://www.apunkachoice.com/dyn/movies/hindi/billu_barber/billu_barber-review.html

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "All Movie Reviews/Movie Talk: Billu (Beep) (Page 5)" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Zareena

IF-Stunnerz

Zareena

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged
Critic Rating : By movietalkies
Friday Feb 13 6:13 PM

After dabbling in comedies successfully and not so successfully, director Priyadarshan shifts his gaze towards a very simple and moving tale in Billu. The film's story is very simple and it has a heart tugging quality about it which lifts it from its ordinariness and makes it a very good film, if not an excellent one. The film's story is based on the theme of friendship, quite like the mythological friendship about Lord Krishna and his poor friend Sudama. The parallels are there but they are not so in your face.

Irrfan Khan essays the role of Billu, who runs a decrepit, crumbling barber shop in this small village in the interiors of India. His business has run into bad days as a snazzy salon has opened next door and almost eaten into his clientele. All he gets is the remains, again very far and few. Already burdened by the angst of trying to survive his poverty with his dignity intact and give his two children and wife, Bindiya (Lara Dutta) a decent life, his life takes a turn for the worse when the matinee idol Sahir Khan (Shah Rukh Khan) makes his entry into village for the shooting of his latest film.

The news that Sahir is Billu's childhood friend spreads like wildfire in the entire village and everybody wants a piece of Billu so that they can get close to Sahir, including his wife and children. What they don't know is that Billu cannot muster the courage to go up to his old friend because he is ashamed of his poverty. When Billu refuses to go and meet Sahir, the villagers, think that he was trying to dupe them and label him a fraud. It seems that even his children and wife don't seem to really believe him. But then he finds out that Sahir has not forgotten him and their friendship. The superstar finally comes to meet our modern day Sudama in his half broken house once he learns of his existence. And Billu again becomes a hero in the eyes of the villagers and his family.

The story and its premise is simple and sweet and one can see Priyadarshan's masterly comic touch in play even here. He has an eye for human foibles and uses them brilliantly to create characters who are so real and yet to so funny. His favourites, Om Puri and Rajpal Yadav, add to the comic flavour of the movie. A delightful touch of irony runs through the film, as it touches on people's reaction to Billu once they learn that he is a friend of the superstar. Everybody is nice to him, but with an ulterior motive, beginning with the school's principal to his rival barber. These perceptions change when the cops whisk him away on charges of fraud, and then again undergo a transformation when it is proved beyond doubt that he is indeed Sahir's best friend. Priyadarshan looks on at human weakness with an indulgent eye and creates comedy out of not so funny situations. The film has been written well and its dialogues and screenplay are just right for the subject. The only complaint, if one can call it that, is that it would have been nice to see a little more of Irrfan and a little less of Brand SRK. But there is a lot that goes into the marketing of a film and there is no more saleable brand than SRK.

Irrfan steals the show with his portrayal of Billu, the barber. This actor is truly blessed with talent and craft. He always pitches his performance just right. There is not a single discordant note in his performance, which is like sheer poetry. In this film, he underplays Billu and his angst, and delivers his dialogues with just the right kind of punch. He is quite the life of the film. Shah Rukh Khan really does not have to do much to portray a superstar. He gives the character of Sahir a certain kind of warmth, which is quite endearing. He works hard in the film as he dances with three divas and is quite impressive in all three song sequences. Lara Dutta as Billu's wife is a little out of place with her designer low cut cholis and anglicized Hindi. But she has tried very hard to fit in and she does full justice to her role. Om Puri and Rajpal Yadav too are treat to watch in their cameos.

One has no clue about Kuselan, but Billu is a sweet film with some really heart tugging sequences which kind of reinstate one's faith in the human nature. Well done Priyadarshan!

Rating: 3.5/5

http://in.movies.yahoo.com/movies/Billu/reviewdetails-715.html
0--

Zareena

IF-Stunnerz

Zareena

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged

anna143

IF-Dazzler

anna143

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged
I watched it! I watched it! I watched it! I watched it! and i loved it Embarrassed
call me a crazy srk fan but honestly the scenes with srk in it were the best and worth it. Songs just made me wanna jump on my seat and scream esp. Marjaani. Irfan Khan and Lara were superb, movie tends to be boring towards the end just a bit. But on total the movie was funny, yet senti at times.

Zareena

IF-Stunnerz

Zareena

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by anna143

I watched it! I watched it! I watched it! I watched it!
and i loved it Embarrassed
call me a crazy srk fan but honestly the scenes with srk in it were the best and worth it. Songs just made me wanna jump on my seat and scream esp. Marjaani. Irfan Khan and Lara were superb, movie tends to be boring towards the end just a bit. But on total the movie was funny, yet senti at times.

Thanks for the review anna Smile I think i am going to love Marjaani song too.

Zareena

IF-Stunnerz

Zareena

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
Billu Rating:***

Sarita Tanwar
sarita.tanwar@mid-day.com

WHAT'S IT about: The most effective stories are the ones told simply. That's what makes Priyadarshan's new film, Billu, so endearing. There's the usual gloss and the oomph factor but when you walk out of the theatre, what lingers is the unpretentious flow of emotions. Priyadarshan weaves the film around a quiet and unassuming barber (never mind the unnecessary drama over the term) Billu (Irrfan) who lives in a small village with his wife (Lara) and two kids. Things change for him when the country's biggest superstar Sahir Khan (SRK) comes to the village for a film shooting. Billu has told his family that he and Sahir were friends. When news spreads, Billu suddenly becomes a hero and everyone starts treating him better. But there's a catch everyone wants him to get favours done from Sahir. When Billu can't fulfill those demands, he's ostracised by the very same people. Does Billu really know Sahir? Can he find respect for himself and his family again? That's what the film is all about.

WHAT'S HOT: Priyadarshan gets a subject he's best at handling a story set in a fictional village. Remember Virasat and Malamaal Weekly? Each significant character (the good-hearted neighbour, the wannabe lyricist, the rival barber, the school principal, the local kingpin etc) are well-sketched and stand out. Priyan adds humour to the parched life of Billu and manages to bring about a smile even in times of despair. The story is a delightful ride and Priyan brings about the contrast with sheer perfection with a common man's disillusionment pitched against the showmanship of a movie superstar. The screenplay unfolds in the most unassuming way. The climax is the crux of the movie and also its high point it tugs at your heart and makes you want to believe in goodness all over again. The music actually enhances the film with the number Billu Bhayankar being an absolute riot. Cinematography by V Manikandan is clean and crisp. Among the performances, Irrfan delivers performance that raises the bar even for himself. He makes you laugh and cry; just as effortlessly. Lara Dutta is in character as the rural wife not an easy role. Asrani keeps getting better with age; Rasika Joshi (as the principal) and Rajpal Yadav do full justice. The superstar of Billu is Shah Rukh Khan who plays a character close to real life. No one else could've done this role with as much ease. Kudos to him for paving the way for Irrfan especially in the climax. SRK adds so much pathos in his speech at the end of the film without going overboard delightful.

WHAT'S NOT: A bit of trimming would've made the film racier. The pace slackens midway but picks up dramatically in the climax again.

WHAT'S THAT: Lara's blouses (sexy and deep cut) and the way she has draped her sarees makes her stand out. Compared to the costumes worn by her husband and kids.

WHAT TO DO: Billu is warm, heartfelt and funny watch it.

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 13 February 2009 at 11:56pm | IP Logged
just found this thread per chance.  thank you zareena for all those reviews.

vandana jp

Groupbie

vandana jp

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 2:47am | IP Logged
i wach it tooooooooooooooooooo wat a fabbbbbbbb moviiiiiiiiiii...........luvd it totaly srk irfan lara alll did fab job gr8 famly entertainer  n songz outstandin

Post Reply New Post

Go to top