Debate Mansion

Yellow Journalism of Media towards Child Murders.

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

trustt

Groupbie

trustt

Posted: 10 February 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged
I was going through one of the Hindi channels which showed a half -hour program of the details and gruesome murder of Sarthik . I was touched and angry at the same time as i felt that the media was again giving some unwanted  publicity to the Murder by repeatedly trying to ask the Mother about who killed the Child.  This looked like plain yellow journalism . The bigger problem is the media have turned to investigate for themselves and are naming suspects themselves.
Isn't it disheartening. Here in the USA families can sue the media the best example being the JoeBenet Ramsey Case  which was similar to "The Arushi Murder Case" .
 Is there any law which supports the indian parents to do so.
also, my second question is whether we are still ashamed to accept the fact that "In Our Country of 100 Crore People there are Paedophiles, Child Abusers, Child killers,  Serial Murderers etc etc" . These evils come with every society that is kneen to develop itself just like we are.
Shouldn't the media accept this fact and stop abusing its power and bring peace upon the Dead?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Yellow Journalism of Media towards Child Murders." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged
I haven't heard about this case,
but i do remember "arushi murder case" ,
and i guess you are talking about all this in a general manner only .Smile

Originally posted by trustt

I was going through one of the Hindi channels which showed a half -hour program of the details and gruesome murder of Sarthik . I was touched and angry at the same time as i felt that the media was again giving some unwanted  publicity to the Murder by repeatedly trying to ask the Mother about who killed the Child.  This looked like plain yellow journalism . The bigger problem is the media have turned to investigate for themselves and are naming suspects themselves.
Isn't it disheartening. Here in the USA families can sue the media the best example being the JoeBenet Ramsey Case  which was similar to "The Arushi Murder Case" .
 Is there any law which supports the indian parents to do so.

DunnoOuch

also, my second question is whether we are still ashamed to accept the fact that "In Our Country of 100 Crore People there are Paedophiles, Child Abusers, Child killers,  Serial Murderers etc etc" . These evils come with every society that is kneen to develop itself just like we are.
Shouldn't the media accept this fact and stop abusing its power and bring peace upon the Dead?

Well , as a matter of fact the role of media in highlighting these evils is one role which i think ,
media plays best, and i think it is required.
However,
yes ,
it should not intrude so much into privacy of commoners specially,
who have not given them the license to do anything,
and who cannot vent their anger either,
in fear of the fact that they might turn into caricatures in front of all the people.
So , i think the media should just report that such an evil happened,
rather than interviewing all the time,
and sitting around the house all the time.
They should give time to the family to recover,
and then they can ask all the questions that may be necessary.

However, there's where the problem arises,
would the same sensational case maintain its "sensationality "
2 months after it has occurred ??
Afterall , the media is just serving us ,
and if we forget things (given the enormous amount of news each day) after a week ,
how'd we remember a 2 months old case, which would have been reported
without a lot of sensationalism ?

Solutions are there , but they are difficult to implement !

Edited by ashoka_was_king - 11 February 2009 at 6:35pm

trustt

Groupbie

trustt

Posted: 12 February 2009 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the reply.
Yes i am talking in a general sense.  and it pains me to see such meaningless talk generated from people who are not even half -educated and are reaching conclusions on their own.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top