Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Billu Barber is now titled 'Billu' (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 5

Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 5

Zareena

IF-Stunnerz

Zareena

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:32pm | IP Logged
'It's damn cool being a barber'

City barbers and celeb hairstylists have no objection to being described by their profession

NIMISHA TIWARI, REAGAN GAVIN RASQUINHA, RACHEL FERNANDES & SMITA ROY

TEAM BT Times News Network

Pardon our French, and mind your Ps and Qs. The film Billu Barber has had a close shave, so to speak, with political correctness. Just as slumdwellers protested against being called 'slumdogs', the SRK-Irrfan Khan-Lara Dutta-starrer has raised the hackles of a section of barbers who have their blades out in anger. "It's demeaning to call us barbers!" is their grouse. BT decided to put this to the test. 'Combing' through the city's stylists and dare we say barbers, we asked them whether they thought it to be rude if they were called by their profession.

JOHN, AIRCOOL (CHURCHGATE)

No, I had no idea about such a controversy. And even if there is, it doesn't bother or affect us.

ADHUNA AKHTAR, STYLIST

I am definitely not offended if someone refers to me as a barber. Actually, barbering is specific to men's hairdressing. It is an extremely skilled profession. I think the whole controversy is very stupid.

HAKIM, PRAVEEN BEAUTY CARE (KALA GHODA)

I actually saw the trailer of the film and found nothing offensive about it. In fact, it's good for us if it depicts barbers because it gives us more publicity.

HAKIM ALIM, HAIRSTYLIST

There is no harm in being called one. After all, a barber is a barber and will be called so. A lot of people call me a barber but in no ways does that make me down market. It's not a gali or a demeaning term and there is no reason for anyone to feel offended. It's damn cool to be a barber. People are just making a fuss out of nothing.

FEROZE, MAJESTY PARLOUR (COLABA)

It's not a problem. Life goes on for us. But it would be lovely if one of those film stars dropped in for a haircut and a shave too.

SAPNA BHAVNANI, HAIRSTYLIST

Just because the word salon is pronounced more stylishly these days doesn't in any way make barbering a low profession. All over the world, gents hairdressing courses are called barbering courses. This whole controversy is overhyped.

RASHID SALAMANE, SANA SALOON (ANDHERI EAST)

I am happy being called a barber and why should I have any problem with people calling me that. It's my profession.

DILSHAD PASTAKHIA, HAIRSTYLIST

Hair styling is a skilled profession and barbering is a part of hair dressing.

SHAH MOHAMMED, NEW RUBY HAIRDRESSERS (ANDHERI EAST)

If someone has a problem on being called a barber, then he might as well not do the job. It's like any other profession. At this rate, tomorrow even actors might say don't call us actors!

ASHA HARIHARAN, HAIRSTYLIST

I openly tell people that I am just an educated hajaam. Barbering is a benchmark level of skill and the artiste is thence bestowed with the title 'barber'. How can some people be ashamed of it?

VAMAN SHINDE, JANTA HAIRDRESSERS (ANDHERI WEST)

I take pride in being called a barber. It is not a swear word for which people should take objection. If I'm a barber, obviously they wouldn't call me a hawker!

NALINI OF NALINI & YASMIN

There are many barbers who have turned into successful hairstylists and hairdressers, they may not feel good about being called barbers. I would tell them to feel proud of what they do. On the other hand, one must also understand that they have their own sensitivities.

JANVI SAMANT, AFFAIR BEAUTY PARLOUR UNISEX (ANDHERI WEST)

I think had the movie been called Billu Barber, the so-called hair dressers and barbers would have got good mileage. What else do you call a person who cuts hair!

Bombay Times, TOI epaper, 12 Feb 2009

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOI&BaseHref=TOIM/2009/02/12&PageLabel=27&EntityId=Ar02700&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

:

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Billu Barber is now titled 'Billu' (Page 5)" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

pksanam

IF-Rockerz

pksanam

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 7:51pm | IP Logged
these barbers (oops) and hair dressers have more common sense..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top