Billu Barber is now titled 'Billu' - Page 2

Posted: 15 years ago
gosh...anything can start protest in india as long as the product has some big name attached to it, i bet if the movie had only irfan and lara...no shahrikh, then there would have been no reaction!

Since when is Barber dereogatory? 😃 Now they want to be called hair dressers?

Have they even seen the film? The film is about a Barber not hair dresser. But then we take offense to anything in India these days. So...
Srk on IBN

http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/84807/i-dont-want-to-hurt-anyone-shah-rukh-khan.html
I don't get understand why these hairdressers saying it in the last minute? it really annoys me now.
Barber's cut

Posted On Monday, February 09, 2009 at 02:24:11 AM           
What's in a name?

Apparently, a lot. After barbers raised an objection to the title of Shah Rukh Khan's forthcoming film, Billu Barber, latest is that the film will now be called Billu. Strangely, barbers were okay with the film being called Billu Hairdresser.

However, SRK seemed in no mood to court any more controversy and so he decided to stick to a safe title this time

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2009020920090209022411662f0f6931e/Barber's-cut-

SRK's shoulder surgery on Feb 16

8 Feb 2009, 0000 hrs IST, Bharati Dubey, TNN

MUMBAI: Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan will undergo a shoulder surgery at Breach Candy hospital on February 16. He talks to TOI about what's keeping him busy in the meanwhile.

The actor had hurt himself on the sets of his film Dulha Mil Gaya in November last year. "I hurt myself and tore a tendon about four years ago. That time it used to hurt when I danced or worked out. Recently, while doing a scene in Dulha Mil Gaya, I fell on my shoulder and hurt myself again. Not realising how serious it was, I shot for and completed My Name is Khan. By then the pain was excruciating and the doctor said I must go under the knife within 21 days. Post surgery, my arm will be in a sling for six weeks.''

Even at age of 43, SRK is still considered the number one brand in terms of endorsement. "I don't get into the numbers game. I'm just an employee of these brands and am doing my job. For example, a popular cola brand I endorsed has now stopped using me as I am too old for it. But that doesn't make me a lesser person or a lesser actor. I'm happy to have worked with them for 12 years.''

Khan also doesn't think the number of brands he endorses is a measure of his popularity. "I connect with different levels of people - educated, upper class, middle class, economically lower class. That's how a movie star should be. This does not happen overnight and I don't take any credit for it. I don't know if I am the number one star but I am certainly the number one happy star today.''

Khan said recession has not affected him at all. "My movies are sold at a price that needs no correction. The slowdown has only hit those who have bought films at an expensive price.'' He also doesn't see anything wrong with actors charging big bucks. "Nobody was forcing producers to give them a high price.''

"Ticket prices should come down. Rs 275 is a bit too much. I would not buy a film ticket for such a price. Also, if multiplexes are charging a huge price, the producer should be much more responsible and make better films so the audience gets value for money," the superstar said.

"With this impending surgery and home production Billu Barber on his mind, Khan has his hands full. Not only has he put up hoardings outside barber shops in the city, he is also planning a premiere, "not for the film industry but for barbers'', he added.

"I joke and I have a sense of humour. But I don't take potshots at other stars. There are certain stars who have said things about me. I will not react but will speak to them in person. I just think people shouldn't speak more than required.''

When told that barbers of the city have taken objection to the title the actor said, "The hair dressers and barber salon association were very emotional and said the word barber is derogatory to them. I don't understand why but they looked very perturbed and saddened by it. So wherever possible we will remove the word from our prints. Some prints that have already gone out, it will not be possible. They understood it. I felt we need to respect their wishes for their families.''

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/SRKs_shoulder_surgery_on_Feb_16/articleshow/4095887.cms

-----
lol, people are just always after SRK no matter what the poor guy does.  Billu Barber was a nice name...and i'll keep calling it that! :p
Uff what was the need? Now they better watch this movie.. for me I'm still going to call it billu barber.
what was the need to change the name?
Sirf Billu!

SRK removes the word 'barber' from the title of his next release

Upala KBR

Shah Rukh Khan has dropped the word 'Barber' from the title of his next release, Billu Barber. Now his film is simply called Billu.

As reported in HiTLIST ('Hairdresser, Billu Hairdress-er'; Feb 7) the President of the Salon and Beauty Parlors Association, Uday Takke, said they found the word 'barber' objectionable and they wanted it to be changed to hairdesser. After that, SRK decided that he didn't want to waste his time cajoling a group of people and decided to simply drop the word 'barber' from his film's title. Says a source from the industry, "This is a smart move because everyone already knows the name of the film and now that group of people don't have any agenda anymore."

'He understood us'

On Saturday evening, Takke met Shah Rukh at Mannat. He says, "We explained to him that barber refers to a caste — like 'nai' or 'hajaam'. We are not barbers by caste. Shah Rukh understood our problem."

Shah Rukh says, "When they met me they were very emotional. I didn't know that the word is a caste. I didn't want to hurt their feelings so I removed the word. In the song Billu bhai hajaam hai we will try and beep out the word in the film while showing the film."

mid-day epaper