S.King: Meyer can't write..

ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
Exclusive: Stephen King on J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer
Excerpts pretaining to Twilight/Meyer are bolded.
King, whose Stephen King Goes to the Movies collection came out last week, doesn't know how much of an influence he had on Meyer, but he does know that Rowling read his stuff when she was younger. "I think that has some kind of formative influence the same way reading Richard Matheson had an influence on me," King explains. "People always say to me, 'Well, what about H.P. Lovecraft?' And the thing was, you read Lovecraft when you were a kid but I never felt that he was speaking my language. It was chillier than my heart was, and when Matheson started to write about ordinary people and stuff, that was something that I wanted to do. I said, 'This is the way to do it. He's showing the way.' I think that I serve that purpose for some writers, and that's a good thing. Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

But then King recalls that when his mom was alive, she read all the Erle Stanley Gardner books, the Perry Mason mysteries, obsessively when he was growing up. "He was a terrible writer, too, but he was very successful," King says. "Somebody who's a terrific writer who's been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You've got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he's just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he's very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they're not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

noha450 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
omg thats soooo mean😡Stephanie Meyer rocks!!!😃
-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
AHahahahah.. I saw that on mtv canada like 2-3 days ago.. Stephen King is amazing.. and perfectly correct.
hahaha.

And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet.

👍🏼 Agreed..

RandomSquared thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

i actually agree wit him

i luv twilight, but it's really not great writing jus a great story
Edited by RandomSquared - 15 years ago
mysterygurl1427 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
i think meyers is a great writer...I read Harry Potter but got bored as hell....but i loved almost all of Harry Potter movies.....the books didn't interest me at all...

however Stephanie's twilight.....i read her book in three days....and that was me tryin not to finish it so quick.....but if i wanted to i could've finished it in a day....it was that interesting....and then even the movie was amazing!!!

Oh well that is his opinion...
Edited by mysterygurl1427 - 15 years ago
MasterKatara18 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mysterygurl1427

i think meyers is a great writer...I read Harry Potter but got bored as hell....but i loved almost all of Harry Potter movies.....the books didn't interest me at all...

however Stephanie's twilight.....i read her book in three days....and that was me tryin not to finish it so quick.....but if i wanted to i could've finished it in a day....it was that interesting....and then even the movie was amazing!!!

Oh well that is his opinion...

Agreed! I tried my best reading the HP books but I couldnt move on. It just depends on what a person likes. If you love magic and wizards, its normal then for ppl to love HP. I know the way its written is truly incredible but for me it depends on the content as well. I am not very much into wizards and hence I like Twilight series more coz of its content. Again that's my POV.
-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mona18

Agreed! I tried my best reading the HP books but I couldnt move on. It just depends on what a person likes. If you love magic and wizards, its normal then for ppl to love HP. I know the way its written is truly incredible but for me it depends on the content as well. I am not very much into wizards and hence I like Twilight series more coz of its content. Again that's my POV.

I'm not into wizards or magic or anything like that.. but Harry Potter is just so GREATLY written. You feel such a deep connection with the characters, plot, and such. Twilight is only popular bc. of how King will put it :
Originally posted by: ShadowKisses

And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

*~Kaynaat~* thumbnail
dude,who ever said that is soooooo mean and jealous!!!!!!
stephenie meyer rocks!!!!!!!!!!
ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
^LOL. I doubt King is "jealous" of her. He has sold roughly about 350 million copies of his books, a lot more than Meyer has. He's got nothing to be jealous of. As for him being "mean" - ROFL. Your reasoning would suggest that Harold Bloom, renowned literary critic, is the meanest person on the face of Earth considering the number of authors he has critiqued.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I don't think that anyone can define the literary quality of a book by the level of enjoyment felt while reading the book as that is an extremely subjective analysis. For instance, I've read many a classics that have driven me towards tears of boredom but that doesn't mean that the prose isn't well-written. In my opinion, one shouln't dismiss the literary value of a book merely because it wasn't their thing.

One thing I've noticed about Meyer's writing is her tendency to use passive writing as opposed to active writing. Passive writing sounds too much like a grocery list with the "BE" verb monotony. "It was dark" ,"I was scared", "I am nice", "He is hot", "Vampires are dark mythological creatures" and so on. When passive writing isn't used to serve a purpose in the characterization/plot, it is tedious to read. The things that REALLY annoyed me about Meyer's writing, though, has to be her purple prose and thesaurus abuse. Her incorrect use of the word "chagrin" numerous times is quite pathetic. Her purple prose is grating as well. For instance: "He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare. His glistening, pale lavender lids were shut, though of course he didn't sleep. A perfect statue, carved in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glistening like crystal." All in all, I don't think Meyer's writing is literary at all. And to think she is the one who claims that Wuthering Heights "sucks so heartily" is ironic when her writing isn't much better than that of an amateurish fanfiction writer.
Edited by ShadowKisses - 15 years ago