Page   of 10
Page 2 Page 10

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged
Exclusive: Stephen King on J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer
Excerpts pretaining to Twilight/Meyer are bolded.
King, whose Stephen King Goes to the Movies collection came out last week, doesn't know how much of an influence he had on Meyer, but he does know that Rowling read his stuff when she was younger. "I think that has some kind of formative influence the same way reading Richard Matheson had an influence on me," King explains. "People always say to me, 'Well, what about H.P. Lovecraft?' And the thing was, you read Lovecraft when you were a kid but I never felt that he was speaking my language. It was chillier than my heart was, and when Matheson started to write about ordinary people and stuff, that was something that I wanted to do. I said, 'This is the way to do it. He's showing the way.' I think that I serve that purpose for some writers, and that's a good thing. Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

But then King recalls that when his mom was alive, she read all the Erle Stanley Gardner books, the Perry Mason mysteries, obsessively when he was growing up. "He was a terrible writer, too, but he was very successful," King says. "Somebody who's a terrific writer who's been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You've got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he's just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he's very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they're not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "S.King: Meyer can't write.." in Twilight forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

noha450

IF-Rockerz

noha450

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged
omg thats soooo meanAngryStephanie Meyer rocks!!!Big smile

safeplacetoland

IF-Stunnerz

safeplacetoland

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged
Crazy person. Suits him!

-Navi

IF-Rockerz

-Navi

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged
AHahahahah.. I saw that on mtv canada like 2-3 days ago.. Stephen King is amazing.. and perfectly correct.

Ms.GoodMorning

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

RandomSquared

IF-Sizzlerz

RandomSquared

Teen Bahuraaniyan Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 7:40am | IP Logged

i actually agree wit him

i luv twilight, but it's really not great writing jus a great story

Edited by RandomSquared - 07 February 2009 at 10:33am

mysterygurl1427

IF-Sizzlerz

mysterygurl1427

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged
i think meyers is a great writer...I read Harry Potter but got bored as hell....but i loved almost all of Harry Potter movies.....the books didn't interest me at all...

however Stephanie's twilight.....i read her book in three days....and that was me tryin not to finish it so quick.....but if i wanted to i could've finished it in a day....it was that interesting....and then even the movie was amazing!!!

Oh well that is his opinion...

Edited by mysterygurl1427 - 07 February 2009 at 9:42am

mona18

IF-Dazzler

mona18

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mysterygurl1427

i think meyers is a great writer...I read Harry Potter but got bored as hell....but i loved almost all of Harry Potter movies.....the books didn't interest me at all...

however Stephanie's twilight.....i read her book in three days....and that was me tryin not to finish it so quick.....but if i wanted to i could've finished it in a day....it was that interesting....and then even the movie was amazing!!!

Oh well that is his opinion...

Agreed! I tried my best reading the HP books but I couldnt move on. It just depends on what a person likes. If you love magic and wizards, its normal then for ppl to love HP. I know the way its written is truly incredible but for me it depends on the content as well. I am not very much into wizards and hence I like Twilight series more coz of its content. Again that's my POV.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top