Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged

Alcohol is vicious, if abused and the worst thing is that the damage it does to one's health, is NOT easily identified untill terminal stage is reached, no back road from there in most cases. Concerned about teenagers who are loosing thier lives due to alcohol and had few questions...

ps - Adults do have some idea about it, if NOT when they are called adults they should know and be responsible of thier own actions. Just in case they don't know about bads of alcoholism..let not address them as adultsWinkSmile

Do teens have adequate knowledge or understanding of what might the consequences of alcohol abuse?

Should alcohol be available based on age or based on state license that is issued after each individual understands the risks involved in alcohol in take, oh yeah each alcohol beverage has a warning " Might be harmfull" but is it understood in real sense?

What do you think should be the punishment of adults who provide alcohol to minors?

Should people who have damaged body parts due to alcohol abuse qualify to for transplant via organ donation program?

Alcohol should not be made so readily available viz convinence stores, package stores at every 1 shopping complex, bar at every nook and corner, Agree? I understand GOVT will loose lots in taxes but come on GOVT here life is at stake and not all can be responsible drinker as known Alcohol just sucks life out of some, who lack control/will power.

Will adequate awareness and educating teenagers about the consequence of Alcohol help save young lives? including DUI related deaths

Thanks in advance for you valueable thoughts / time Smile

Edited by raj5000 - 06 February 2009 at 12:54pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Teenagers / Alcoholism" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by anon

Great topic, Quick reply - not read article.

Originally posted by raj5000

Do teens have adequate knowledge or understanding of what might the consequences of alcohol abuse?

Noops - I think Very Few know FULL extent. But you can not generalise to Kids and Teens. Even Adults to not really know. I mean in most cases your hear bad effects of smoking more..sorry i hate it when 'adults' generalise...i mean adults n teens both know its bad but they carry on - tbh they don't care until its too late.

No - dont qualify for organ donor - more on this later - g2g.

Hear yaa and I don't wanted to generalize - My thought process behind this was ...that legal drinking age starts at teen... it is important at that point they should understand what they are getting into it, how do i refer that particular age group then? Confused... as for adults I already mentioned they should know about it... and if they end screwing up, I cann't beleive they never knew what they would end up with alcoholism.

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged
The legal drinking age in the US is 21. But the actual at which some teens are exposed to alcohol is a lot earlier. Despite all the education against drugs and alcohol that schools provide, kids are involved in both at such high rates. And they really don't understand the effects of alcohol. Reading to them the effects or telling it to them, hasn't been beneficial either.

Some kids at home are allowed to have some amount of alcohol with parent's permission, but is that right? Is that not encouraging them to drink alcohol without the parent's permission as well? In France, kids drink wine, and supposedly there's no alcohol problem among teens there. Would that be the route to take?

In Driver's Ed, we're taught about the risks of drinking and driving, but that doesn't really reinforce the idea when one is doing it, does it? Teens still think that drinking alcohol is "cool". We see so many deaths year after year in alcohol-related accidents. Drunk driving, wasting away your body by drinking alcohol, addiction, etc.

In general, we as humans, have a hard time learning from other's mistakes. And that's quite unfortunate.

Anyways, I'm just rambling about things that you've already said. I believe your post was meant to ask for a solution. Well, I think its something that starts at home, with parents. Parents have to be an example for their children, a role model.

When I was in high school, we had a presentation in which parents who had lost their children due to drunk driving come in and talk to us and pour their heart and tears out. Another part of the presentation was when prisoners who were in jail for drunk driving came in and spoke to us. One such woman, who was serving an 8-year sentence said she'd killed her best friends. It was the most depressing presentation I've ever seen. And after seeing that, I still can't understand why teens are so immature. Who's fault is it?

One small remedy to this problem is to stop promoting Bud-Lite and Miller beers during Superbowl commercials, yes, yes, I know they tend to be the best ones. Also, alcohol is nowadays combined with American culture like apple pie. Kids don't know how to see it any other way, when they see their parents getting wasted every Friday night.

Sorry, too much rambling, hopefully this will be semi-coherent.
Good topic!

Edit: Forgot to add about donating organs. Of course they qualify, people will always be stupid, but we shouldn't take away their lives from them to make them realize their mistake. Think about it this way, should a doctor refuse to save a person who attempted suicide? No, right? Same way we can't deny alcoholics rights to organs, although it is "their fault".

Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 06 February 2009 at 6:08pm

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
{was in reponse ot to YOUR earlier post..}^^^ May be you are right, adults also often lack the knowledge of the consequences, but wouldn't when they get to legal age of drinking a good starting point? There are adults who know or are diagonised with terminal illness, still cannot get off of addiction... am just concerned about bachu's who really are taken all off guarded, like the girl, see the link @ 24 had to pay the price with her life, there was another one that triggered this thought, but more of a DUI case...wanna focus on alcoholism here.

Edited by raj5000 - 06 February 2009 at 2:47pm

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top