Name change post marriage - neccesary ?

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Hey guys this debate is about " Should a guy change his name post wedding to his wife's surname ?" Example - Abhijeet Sharma married Ritu Gupta and Abhijeet becomes Abhijeet Gupta .................while Ritu ,ofcourse stays as Ritu Gupta !!!

O.K if you don't agree .............Why not ..........after all a girl changes her name to her husbands in our society so why not a guy !!!
If you agree............Great ...........Will you do it ?

Lets have fun with this discussion friends !! First i thought of asking you " Should a girl change her last name ?" ......................But then  decided the responses may be too typical..........................so lets see what you have to say ? Remember Shakespeare said " Whats in a name ?" So does it realllllyyyyyy make a difference ???????????😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ME_T thumbnail
i don;t see anythign rong with any of them changing. i mean a aguy can if he wants and so can a girl. i know sum ppl who are married and have different surnames coz none of them chnaged it
hawa_hawai thumbnail
i have yet to meet a guy who would. i think that woudl eb awesome.

as for me i dont think ill change my name- i dont see a point and im a feminist.
chikoo thumbnail
Name has one's identity. I strongly prefer not to change it after marriage. In today's society, men and women are equal- both oftem work, help each other in household chores, contribute equally in raising a kid etc. But this is mostly true when woman is also working not otherwise.

She is doing equally or more compared to her husband given the fact that she keeps the baby in her womb for nine months already, so there's no point she doing even more by changing her last name.

I'm yet to find a guy who will willingly change his last name to his wife's last name 😃 . I also feel that it's a lots of hassle to change the last name or to add to it
TiN24 thumbnail
I think the best solution is hyphenate your surname and your husbands name. Like for example (the only one I can think of right now) is say Kkusum Deshmukh is her name. Then she get's married to Abbay Kapoor, so she can make her name Kkusum Deshmukh-Kapoor. That way you keep your original name and still have your husbands name. I think its good to have your husbands name once you get married cause you are starting a new life with a new identity. You are not someones daughter anymore but someones wife now so why not start with showing the world that you are now a married woman? I don't know, when I get married I would want to have my last name plus my husbands last name, cause as chikoo said, your name is your identity. 😃
Signora2 thumbnail
Oh this is an interesting topic, why not? we have leela bhansali sticking with his mom's name, it would be interesting if guys too changed their surnames after marriage. I think we will have to amend laws, but it will do a word of good to our male dominated society.In Kerala we have a matriarchal society, ie after marriage the groom stays with the bride's family but I do not know if the surname is carried on. Anyway it would be nice if guys did it on their own, a tall order no doubt.
signora2   
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Ya i have kept my parents name along with my husbands's . Its offical in my passport too !! I like it that way !!
Signora2 thumbnail
wow that's wonderful. 👏 👏
signora2    
U kno U NV Me thumbnail
I changed mine because I wanted my last name to be same as my kids last name becuase ofcourse they would have to take their fathers last name.
Naina_Manam thumbnail
Well, here I would say that neither the man nor the woman should change their names.

Name is your identity and why would you want to change it?

Plus love means loving you not your name. Name doesn't matter so if you think in this way there is nothing wrong with either man or woman to change the name!!!

This creates another question! When Girls change from Miss to Mrs. after marriage why do men always stay MR.?????