Miscellaneous

FFOTW - World's Largest Flower

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago

Hey Friends, Well, this is Fascinating Fact of The Week! I hope all of you find it interesting!

World's largest flower

The largest flower in the world, the rafflesia arnoldi, weighs 7 kg (15 pounds) and grows only on the Sumatra island of Indonesia. Its petals grow to metre (1,6 feet) long and 2,5 cm (1 inch) thick.

Rafflesia arnoldi - world's largest flower

There are 16 species of rafflesia, found in Sumatra, Malaysia and Borneo. The species is named after the naturalist Sir Stamford Raffles, who founded the British colony of Singapore in 1819. Raffles discovered the parasitic plant with his friend Dr. Joseph Arnold during their travels in May 1818. The rafflesia arnoldi is named after the two.

However fascinating and beautiful the rafflesia arnoldi may be, it is also called "corpse flower" and really reeks, the latter to attract flies for pollination.

Of about 200,000 kinds of flowers in the world, the smallest is the duckweed, which can only be seen with a microscope.

Oldest living thing

The oldest living thing on earth is a flowering shrub called the creosote bush, found in the Mojave Desert. It is 15 metres (50 ft) in diameter. It is estimated that it started from a seed nearly 12,000 years ago. During its lifetime the last major period of glaciation in North America came to an end, the wheel and writing were invented, and the great Egyptian and Mayan pyramids were built. The shrub is still living.

Source: didyouknow.org

-Mahi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AsliiGuy thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
That is interesting!

THIS IS def a FFOTW!

It reminds me of the flowers in super mario brothers that like can eat you when you jump over them...

Random thought: I want a plant for my desk at work,
Inspector Sahib thumbnail

that sure is interesting

Dreamy_Girl03 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Hey Mahi,
thanks for the info.
i didn't know the world's largest flower.
But thanks to u i got this news.
And u also gave all the informations.
Really very thankful to u.

Love,
Soni
sankum99 thumbnail
Nature is beautiful from small to huge!