Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged

Welcome to our...

So I'm sure all of us here have a writing tip or trick that we use to help us write better stories... some of them are tips that help in the short run but you have to use some of them for a long time in order to put it to use... 

For example: I've noticed that some people say that they want to start writing a horror/ romance/ comedy story but have no idea where to begin. It helps a lot if you start reading books of the same genre. Then you can get a sort of idea about how to proceed with your own story.

So guys... share your writing tips and tricks right here... because we all know what wonderful writers you are!

- Chhilt
                        Writer's Corner Dev Team

Edited by chhilt - 27 January 2009 at 7:59am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTM: Writing tips and tricks" in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged
Hmm.... I think every writer has his/her own tricks that are unique and others just can't find them helpful.  As a writer everyone has to look deep into the writer in themselves and find our their own tricks that are just unique to them.  I truly believe that helps.  And others may not like the tricks or find them helpful but they'll be helpful to that one person.  I'll still share my tips hopefully someone will benefit from them.

Try to pick things from your life.  I am not saying that everything you write should reflect your life or things that have happened to you, but there can be something from your life that can so very well fit into the story you are saying.  After all, almost all writers are inspired for their or others' lives.

If you're writing about a person with a certain quality or disability then you should try and spend some time with a person who has that quality.  In that way when you pen down your character, he/she will look more real and believable and you won't have to struggle with how and what the character could do in a certain situation.

Make sure you know all of your characters very well before writing about them.  Know them to an extent that you can put your characters in different situations and know exactly how they'll respond.  When an author can't do that, the characters usually turn out to be really shallow and unbelievably unreal.

Don't pursue any story/idea that doesn't interest you in real life.  You can try and write about it but the chances are that it won't as good as it should be.  When a writer doesn't write with all his/her heart, usually the readers can sense that.

Write about something because you truly want not because others want you to write about it.  If there's some issue that you are uncomfortable with, ignore it until you think you can successfully deal with it in your story.

At the end, as long as you are comfortable and happy with your story and characters, nothing else matters.

-Mahi

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-LilyGurl-

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 1:51am | IP Logged
Awesome tips, Mahi.... I do use a couple of them... I;m going to try the others as well, next time I write something!

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged
Yeah some of them are pretty common.  I am sure all writers do that.  And others are just personal ways.

-Mahi

Robsessed.

IF-Dazzler

Robsessed.

Posted: 04 February 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged

lyk wen i ryt yer i dun ryt anyfin loiik erm ordinary i ryt sum stuf dah happened 2 mi in ma lyf, it gives me inspiration also frum books an stuf Tongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-LilyGurl-

suchi_dev2006

Goldie

suchi_dev2006

Posted: 05 February 2009 at 4:17am | IP Logged
before writing any scene...I play the scene verbally by myself playing each & every character changing the tone of voice & the emotion everything...which guides me how to describe the scene..

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 05 February 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
1) Write the story. Read it. Pat yourself on the back. Treat yourself to an orange juice; you've just done what most wannabes haven't -- you've completed your piece.

2) Accept that your writing isn't perfect. (Unless you're a prodigy of some kind -- chances of this are less than 0.01%, so just accept your lack of genius and move on like the rest of us.) Put away the story in the drawer for a week.

3) Take your story out and read it out loud. It makes a real difference. When you hear yourself speak, you will notice errors in your own writing -- especially w.r.t sentence rhythms and cadences.

Look for flaws in your writing. The most basic ones relate to:

a) grammar/spelling/sentences - You can't expect your readers to respect your story if you haven't mastered the basics of the language.

b) Plot and Characters - Does your plot flow logically? Do your characters behave the way they should? Are they believable?    

4) Ask someone else to read it -- a person you trust or someone who will give you honest feedback. Listen to the criticism, try to understand that person's point of view, and take whatever YOU think is reasonable.

You will notice that a lot of times, an objective reader will point out places in your writing which you rushed over, or felt somewhat uncomfortable about, but left in anyway because you thought the reader wouldn't see it. (Caution: they always do.)

5) Revise the story again. Once you feel you're ready (or close to ready anyway) submit it somewhere for publication, post it on your blog, or stick it in the drawer again.

Most importantly, read books by your favourite authors - over and over again. Dissect them paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence, word by word. See what makes them so good. Why do YOU enjoy their books?

You'll always learn more by reading your favourite novels than any book on writing or any set of tips and tricks.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

EatPrayLove-LilyGurl-

_Ashy_

IF-Dazzler

_Ashy_

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 2:30am | IP Logged
Cool Tips guys...here are a few of mine....

Sometimes, we think of a realy good plot but cannot present it well.....
I would advice for such writers, to write the basic starting first and then post it.
And not necessarily be a dramatic one....it can be of a common issue, as long as it stays focused to the topic.

When writing a lovestory, I would suggest that it need not have a happy ending. And begining it with a quote helps to bring out the thrill of the plot and the climax, in particular.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top