Love, Friendship, Dating & Relationships

QOTW - Love is a difficult realization that...

the_charm thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Hello members!

It's time for another quotation!

"Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real."
-Iris Murdosch

• Do you believe in this quote?
  • How would you interpret it?
Would love to know your views!

-L&F Dev Team-

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
That's a very interesting quote, Ghungroo!

I think it means that usually people just care about themselves as long as they don't love anyone.  But once you love someone you start to take their interests into account.  You start doing things that'll please the person you care about.

I don't think it's talking about the love that we associate with boyfriend and girlfriend.  I think it's talking about love in general.  When you just love yourself then others don't matter but when you love others then their interests, likes, dislikes, and what makes them happy becomes important too.

I don't completely agree with this quote though.   I think I may not love someone but I'll still think they are real and they have feelings and I will not want to hurt them in anyway if that gives me success or anything I want.  I very much understand that others are real and so are their feelings and I'll never intentionally hurt them.  And I don't think falling in love is necessary for that.

-Mahi

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

The quote depend on situations,Love dont have a currect definition,each person views n interpretion about love is diff,yes I feel Love is discovery of ourselfs in others, it can be real or unreal........

austenjonesufg thumbnail
May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays

Edited by austenjonesufg - 15 years ago
cadillac12 thumbnail
Not sure what it means.
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks for your replies!

New QOTW has been posted, but you guys can keep on discussing this one if you want.

-Mahi