Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 25

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged
Finally saw the movie, must say I was majorly disappointed. It just didnt live upto the expectations or the super hype created. All the fizz was just gas and no content. It was as much abt hope and destiny as were the 80's movies on revenge and good vs evil. Only diff was no dance nos and no British Director. The movie simply failed to touch the emotional chord when it was actually abt hope! What a waste of awards? The only scene which afflicts you is the one where they are make the children blind! The police man interrogating Jamal was incredulous. Todays Indian Media which doesnt leave snakes, tigers and anything that can be shown, how can they leave the person set to win crores!! That wld have covered live! lol

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 7:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by Pradarshak

[quoted text

awwwww RTH, tumhari khushiyon per pani phir gayaLOL

Hota hain hota hain. I had many vertically challenged people tell me that had nothing against LOTR because they thought hobbits were a derogatory portrayl. They just could not understand all the ado about the darned ring. Point ki baat hain, ek ring ke upar 9 ghante waste kiye.

Pradarshak, from your earlier post, it appeared you disliked the movie because you did not like the game show based format - the face value of the movie rather than getting entangled on the "image" it portrays etc. etc. etc.  But this post is saying pretty much what we have been hearing others say since the movie won GGLOL  Looks like your reasopns for disliking are also pretty much same as everyone elses's who did not like it.

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by realitybites

Finally saw the movie, must say I was majorly disappointed. It just didnt live upto the expectations or the super hype created. All the fizz was just gas and no content. It was as much abt hope and destiny as were the 80's movies on revenge and good vs evil. Only diff was no dance nos and no British Director. The movie simply failed to touch the emotional chord when it was actually abt hope! What a waste of awards? The only scene which afflicts you is the one where they are make the children blind! The police man interrogating Jamal was incredulous. Todays Indian Media which doesnt leave snakes, tigers and anything that can be shown, how can they leave the person set to win crores!! That wld have covered live! lol

It seems the film really has made little impact on indians !!!

Btw,
Raaz 2 is doing better business that Slumdog Millionaire and Slumdog Crorepati in India !!

Is Raaz 2 worth of winning OSCAR ?

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:42pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged
even Gandhi film didnt do well here in India but it was HIT all over the world and won max Oscars Ouch...India's choice is zara hatt ke in this Oscar matter Wink

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by return_to_hades

So thats what they call it these days. po*n. Good to see the Times Of London is upping its reporting levels to compete with the Daily Sun.

I wonder who will host this years Oscars. Its a bummer that they wont reveal the host this year, because the host is the only thing I usually tune into the Oscars for. Its like a movie being ruined because you missed the previews. I think  I liked Slumdog because I got to see some excellent previews before it. People who dislike Slumdog were denied of Good previews.

Seen/read  good previews/reviews for about a month or so before the GG and was highly curious to watch the movie. It was a disappointment, a damp squib. Nowhere it turned to be an intellectual film nor it had any good punch. The climax was like ...any lame person with no such knowledge could have written that, guessing the name of Three Musketeers and winning the prize.

I hope you caught the correlation between good previews and good movies. Just how some people rate their movies. Wink

But OMG public spoiler. You should have posted a warning.

But I agree with you. Not with the fact you dislike the movie, because I personally love it. But for the first time in the longest time I have seen someone critique Slumdog for its face value - for being a movie. You have no idea how you have made my day. It makes me take comfort in the fact that there still exists a world where people go to the movies to watch movies, and like it or dislike it based on their expectations of a movie. A heartfelt thank you for being the first person to diss the movie, like a movie watcher would.

No problem Smile, anytime. Also great to see someone who inspite of liking the movie accepting others state their negative POV about the movie. I felt really proud when I watched Frida Pinto in Jay Leno's show and discussed my excitement about SDM with my friends-relatives. But after watching it .......the movie and the darker side(tailor-made for the western audience) - somehow could not appreciate any more. In my last India visit, I travelled through the slums of Kolkata on a "child education project" site-visit . I feel poor people's sufferings should not be glorified. In real life not every slum-kid would be fortunate to become a Millionaire, but now the whole world will know/call them as "Slumdogs".

awwwww RTH, tumhari khushiyon per pani phir gayaLOL

Pradarshak, from your earlier post, it appeared you disliked the movie because you did not like the game show based format - the face value of the movie rather than getting entangled on the "image" it portrays etc. etc. etc.  But this post is saying pretty much what we have been hearing others say since the movie won GGLOL  Looks like your reasopns for disliking are also pretty much same as everyone elses's who did not like it.

A combination of everything - no intellectual work, no story-line punch, lousy script, focused only in glorifying poverty. Aur kya chahiye? To me, only good camera work, fast story-telling and noticable kids' work is not enough to knock the doors of Kodak Theatre.

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 04 February 2009 at 1:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sandya_rao7

Clap yet another maker had the courage to defy western film maker. had this same movie been made by and indian it would have faced these same opposition but now when americans can give it awards then how can we dare to criticisy it no matter how crap the movie may be.

Aamir khan saw the movie and said i have heard good things abt the movie but did not say wht his opinion was.

clearly most of them dont like the movie but dont want to get into controversies or are buttering hollywood.

i think Oscars is only not worthy of good movies
Aamir Khan: "Slumdog is not an Indian film"

After Aamir Khan's directorial debut "Taare Zameen Par" failed to get an Oscar nomination in the foreign film category, the superstar has said that he does not make films for "awards" but for the "audience".

"I don't make films for awards. I make films for the audience. The audience, for which I have made the film, really loved it and the audiences outside India have also loved it. What I am trying to say is that film has been well loved across the globe and that for me it is extremely heartening and something that I give very high value to, " Aamir said in an interview to NDTV 24x7.

The actor who was recently in the news for his hit psychological thriller "Ghajini" was also upbeat about the film's effect on children.

On being asked about his decision to make a violent film with a U/A certificate after wielding the megaphone himself on an issue-based subject, he said: "I think the censor board gave it due thought before coming out with U/A certification, which means parental guidance.

"I feel any film which is U/A certified, parents ought to check it out before or wait till they see the review. I myself have done that. Junaid (Aamir's son) is 15 and he has seen 'Ghajini' and Aira (daughter) is 10 and she has not. As parents, Rina (first wife) and I have taken that call, " he explained.

Aamir also negated the Western made Indian film controversy surrounding Danny Boyle's Oscar-nominated underdog drama "Sllumdog Millionaire".

"I don't see 'Slumdog...' as an Indian film. I think it is a film about India like 'Gandhi' (that) was made by Sir Richard Attenborough. Similarly, 'Slumdog...' is about India but it is not an Indian film.

"I hope it does well in (the) Academy (awards). I don't think it's got to do anything with India or abroad. Filmmakers are creative people and they are storytellers. They are telling us a story. I don't think 'Slumdog...' is making an attempt to show the underbelly of India or that may be its selling point, " he explained.

Talking about Bollywood stars making an entry into politics, Aamir said: "I don't want to. I'll support a political partly only when I seriously believe that this is in fact a party in which I have real hope and full confidence. Otherwise, I would never endorse a political party, " he said.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top