Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 25

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by rongna

if the movie is good enough to win oscar award then why not.

good point, over all it was widely acclaimed as a good movie.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 8)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged

[quote]

' 'Slumdog Millionaire' is nothing but a cheap trashy mediocre version of those commercial films about estranged brothers and childhood sweethearts that Salim-Javed used to write so brilliantly in the 1970s.LOL And please quote me clearly on this. If the Golden Globe and Oscars committees have chosen to honour this trashy film it just shows their ignorance of world cinema,' SmilePriyadarshan told IANS.

'I saw the film with a mixed audience at the Toronto Film Festival. The Westerners loved it. All the Indian hated it.Approve The West loves to see us as a wasteland, filled with horror stories of exploitation and degradation. But is that all there's to our beautiful city of Mumbai?'

He is surprised that Mumbai is celebrating a film that shows only the city's underbelly.

'Why are we taking this treatment? Just because a white man has made 'Slumdog Millionaire', we're so happy with it? I've read Vikas Swarup's novel 'Q&A'. It should have been made by Mani Ratnam. Then you'd have seen what he would have done with Mumbai.'

The angry director wonders why there isn't a single shot in 'Slumdog...' that shows the more aesthetic side of Mumbai?

'Why has Danny Boyle not taken one shot of Marine Drive? Do his slumdwellers exist only within their slums? And look at the absurdities...A boy becomes a national hero on a game show. One cop takes him under arrest and interrogates him relentlessly. Where is everyone else? Is this kind of confinement possible in this day and age when television cameras enter your bedroom? If one of our filmmakers had made the same film we would have blasted him out of business.' LOL

'Let them give as many Oscars as they like. We don't need to be impressed,' ends Priydarshan angrily.

[\quote]

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
LMAO, coming from a director like Priyadarshan....his nonsensical comedies really capture the true essence of India....yeah right...

Edited by apux - 31 January 2009 at 11:33pm

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 1:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by Pradarshak

Originally posted by return_to_hades

So thats what they call it these days. po*n. Good to see the Times Of London is upping its reporting levels to compete with the Daily Sun.

I wonder who will host this years Oscars. Its a bummer that they wont reveal the host this year, because the host is the only thing I usually tune into the Oscars for. Its like a movie being ruined because you missed the previews. I think  I liked Slumdog because I got to see some excellent previews before it. People who dislike Slumdog were denied of Good previews.

Seen/read  good previews/reviews for about a month or so before the GG and was highly curious to watch the movie. It was a disappointment, a damp squib. Nowhere it turned to be an intellectual film nor it had any good punch. The climax was like ...any lame person with no such knowledge could have written that, guessing the name of Three Musketeers and winning the prize.

I hope you caught the correlation between good previews and good movies. Just how some people rate their movies. Wink

But OMG public spoiler. You should have posted a warning.

But I agree with you. Not with the fact you dislike the movie, because I personally love it. But for the first time in the longest time I have seen someone critique Slumdog for its face value - for being a movie. You have no idea how you have made my day. It makes me take comfort in the fact that there still exists a world where people go to the movies to watch movies, and like it or dislike it based on their expectations of a movie. A heartfelt thank you for being the first person to diss the movie, like a movie watcher would.

No problem Smile, anytime. Also great to see someone who inspite of liking the movie accepting others state their negative POV about the movie. I felt really proud when I watched Frida Pinto in Jay Leno's show and discussed my excitement about SDM with my friends-relatives. But after watching it .......the movie and the darker side(tailor-made for the western audience) - somehow could not appreciate any more. In my last India visit, I travelled through the slums of Kolkata on a "child education project" site-visit . I feel poor people's sufferings should not be glorified. In real life not every slum-kid would be fortunate to become a Millionaire, but now the whole world will know/call them as "Slumdogs".

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged

I think Slumdog Millionaire deserves an Oscar...it was a brilliant movie!

x.Sara7.x

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 3:20am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged

crossroads7

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top